Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My name is Woketman and I am a cruise control addict. There, I said it!!!

I cannot drive without cruise control. I use it all of the time, not just on the Interstate. I use it going down local roads at 40 mph. Probably about 90% of the driving I do the cruise is active.

Hence my problem: I wish that the cruise control in my beloved Elantra did not have to be powered on each and every time after cycling the car’s power.

So my question is this: does anyone know of a way to change that such that the cruise control is always powered on? Perhaps some secret Hyundai menu that can somehow be entered? Some other way?

Thanks.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Lol seriously its one button on the steering wheel. Unfortunately I have never heard of this in any car.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have owned several cars in the past that once you turned power on to the cruise, it stayed that way. But those were years ago.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2002 Grand Am had a button on the steering wheel that had and on and an off position so it stayed on all the time.

I use cruise control as much as the OP and I thought the on/off switch on the Elantra would bother me but I turn it on out of habit now without even thinking about it.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My brain is apparently not that malleable. Wish it were but I fear it is an old dog new trick thing. OkieRich.... HELP!!!!

·
6,836 Posts
Honestly, it would scare me to use cruise in heavy traffic, which comprises much of my driving. :eek: Where do you live that you are able to use this so frequently?

Also, unlike with a gas car, the Leaf benefits from frequent stops and starts, as it regenerates with slowing and braking. So, although it has cruise control, it actually depletes the range rather than helps it.

·
6,836 Posts
I know right...I want my car to be started all the time, but darn it, it just uses too much gas.:D
Oh dear...

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Thread direction --------------------> Toilet.

·
Registered
14 Posts

I cannot drive without cruise control. I use it all of the time, not just on the Interstate. I use it going down local roads at 40 mph. Probably about 90% of the driving I do the cruise is active.

Hence my problem: I wish that the cruise control in my beloved Elantra did not have to be powered on each and every time after cycling the car’s power.

So my question is this: does anyone know of a way to change that such that the cruise control is always powered on? Perhaps some secret Hyundai menu that can somehow be entered? Some other way?

Thanks.
Same here, I mostly drive the car (acceleration/deceleration) with cruise. Feels like flying the old Enterprise (who uses a pedal anymore????) :p

I was told that, if you supply permanent power to the module, it would stay on. However, since it is activated my a momentary push, the question would be what the effect on the module would be.

How about directing power from the brake lights? You have to press the brake pedal anyhow to start driving. But then, that would not work, as every time power is applied, the cruise would go on and off and on and off.

Interesting. How could it be accomplished?

Rick

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do not see how that is possible. Even when the Leaf is regeneratively braking, you are still losing something to resistance losses, battery charge efficiency, etc. and such. It has to be more efficient to simply maintain the same speed, at least on level ground.

I live in Slidell LA, just outside New Orleans. Use cruise on I-10 all the time.

Honestly, it would scare me to use cruise in heavy traffic, which comprises much of my driving. :eek: Where do you live that you are able to use this so frequently?

Also, unlike with a gas car, the Leaf benefits from frequent stops and starts, as it regenerates with slowing and braking. So, although it has cruise control, it actually depletes the range rather than helps it.

·
6,836 Posts
I do not see how that is possible. Even when the Leaf is regeneratively braking, you are still losing something to resistance losses, battery charge efficiency, etc. and such. It has to be more efficient to simply maintain the same speed, at least on level ground.

I live in Slidell LA, just outside New Orleans. Use cruise on I-10 all the time.
This thread isn't about my Leaf, but I'll leave it at this:

Cruise control on: range decreases at rapid rate.

Cruise control off: range decreases at more normal rate.

It's much better to avoid freeways and take the stop-and-go route in a Leaf. Owner observation. :D

Gas cars, keep on using that cruise. My Elantra got a superb 38 mpg while using cruise at 65 mph.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Thanks.
I know what gets to you. The "Aw darn-it" moment.

Both of my Hyundai cars did that to me. Whereas my Chevy truck's cruise is a toggle switch on the turn signal lever that always stays on, Hyundai made theirs a pushbutton that doesn't stay that way.

So you're on the interstate settling in to your desired speed, then hit the SET button to then realize that, "aw darn-it," you gotta turn it on. So then you give that button an aggravated glance and turn it ON...

So, put it on your pre-drive checklist:

1. Car started....check.
  2. Radio volume good...check.
  3. Wipers on (if raining)...check.
  4. Mean looking sunglasses on (if not raining)...check.
  5. Cruise control on...check.
  6. Foot on brake & car put in reverse...check.
  7. And away you go!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
Both my parents' Acuras have latching cruise control master switches although their issue is the opposite of yours. My mom HATES cruise and never uses it and my dad never goes far enough to use his. Heck, he rarely drives the car at all! :laughing:

·
Banned
998 Posts
Just a different angle on it...

Is cruise control dangerous? - CSMonitor.com

Also, it can increase risk of hydroplaning in wet road conditions.
Where did you find anything about aquaplaning? I do not see a correlation...
Now, it is not a surprise why in the US "passing lane" does not exist... Set cruise at 65MPH and keep going on left lane... in Texas.

Nope, no such (known) way.

It is reset (deactivated) every time ignition returns to off (ACC position and below).
Some cars do have permanent (to my surprise) cruise. I drove a Chevy Cruise recently. It had permanent CC switch and it even remembered what was the last setting after restart (although, I am not so sure now about the latter one...)

Personally I believe CC should be turned off and reset every time you restart the car. Just my opinion....

It's much better to avoid freeways and take the stop-and-go route in a Leaf. Owner observation. :D

Gas cars, keep on using that cruise. My Elantra got a superb 38 mpg while using cruise at 65 mph.
It is about Elantra... HD, but still Elantra.

So, in city, stop-and-go, or slow-down-and-accelerate... my Elantra can get me even beyond 43 MPG US (5.5 l/100km). That is 8.5miles/13.5km driven in about 17 minutes-20 minutes with cold start. On hot start I can squeeze a little more (5.3 l/100 km).
On worse days it drops to 36 MPG US (6.6 l/100km).

On highway, with speeds of about 65 mph it gets about 36-38 MPG US.

So... it does not matter what you drive, what matters is how you drive it.

Disclaimer: all numbers are reported from ScanGaugeII (calibrated with more than 10 tanks).

·
Registered
231 Posts
Maybe I'm old school, but I personally feel a loss of control over the car when using CC. Perhaps that only reflects the fact that I've driven hundreds of thousands of miles more without CC than with. However, I can understand wanting to use it on the highway, or maybe a lonely stretch of back road with no traffic. But, I'd not be interested in engaging it other than that. I don't even feel comfortable using cruise on the highway with moderate traffic. Consider this: When your right foot is on the gas pedal, it's only inches from the brake. Using the CC, your right foot can be anywhere else your physical makeup allows it to be, therefore potentially decreasing reaction time to braking. Since braking is pretty much the most important task you'll ever perform behind the wheel of a car, I'll stick with the "old school" method for most of my driving. Anyway, driving a car is really not like flying the Enterprise: in space, you don't have other space ships suddenly entering your path from a side street!

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not so! How many times has a Klingon Bird of Prey de-cloaked directly in front of old NCC-1701 unexpectedly?

No sir, it is cruise control ALL the time for me! I dcan deal with it just fine.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not so! How many times has a Klingon Bird of Prey de-cloaked directly in front of old NCC-1701 unexpectedly?

No sir, it is cruise control ALL the time for me! I dcan deal with it just fine.
Well then, if I'm going to get accustomed to using CC all the time, then tell me where I can find aftermarket "shields" for my Elantra!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
I only use CC on highways, never in city driving at 50 km/h and never when it's raining cats and dogs.

·
Registered
103 Posts

She is correct in her case. Full on electric and hybrid vehicles will attain better fuel mileage and range in sub 50mph and stop/go traffic due to regeneration and less energy to maintain speed against wind resistance.

In a full on gas car they will see higher mileage from slow/steady increases or decreases in speed and consistant speeds (cruise).

Every vehicle has a sweet spot to see the best MPG, that has everything to do with aero design, and the motors power band. Only way to find that is to tap into the computer to see instant mpg readings.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts