Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Except that most people aren't in "serious need" of AWD. Those folks in most Northern states that desire AWD can get thru the winter with pretty much any AWD system. And any of those in "serious need" of AWD could easily throw a set of winter tires on the SF, and would get better winter performance than a Subaru with all-seasons.

Yes, Subaru's AWD system is better; but they've brainwashed most people into thinking that it always makes a difference.
Funny thing is that in recent years I can't recall Subaru promoting their AWD in TV commercials, I've seen more "dog tested, dog friendly" rubbish in recent yrs from them and now I see Hyundai has ads showing how dogs also like Hyundais.
I'd agree their AWD system is marginally better - for people who go off road Subaru does provide 8" + of ground clearance in many models so in the mountain states that is a big plus. I never liked Subarus seats and their cars used to have a lot of road noise but supposedly the 2020 ob is quiet. I see a lot of the 4cylinder non turbos keeping up pretty well on the mountain uphills, so from an engineering perspective you get better mpgs than most SUVs along with higher ground clearance and decent performance.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with you. Ignorance is bliss as when I bought my 2019 2.4L I had heard about this bearing problem necessitating 953 affecting models 8 years earlier and was told it's a production issue that'd been fixed long ago. Then about a year ago the 953 fix surfaced up thru 2018's and I thought, hmmm, what's different from a 2018 to 2019 Theta II engine? Now it's on 2019s, but an unofficial poster on the Sonota 953 thread (I posted a link on the 2019 Santa Fe 953 affecting MPGs thread) says 2019s are much better quality than say 2015s. It would nice if Hyundai confirmed that but most 2019s have less than 20,000 mi so do they really know or is this 953 a legal CYA? And is the software "built in" to 2020 Theta IIs?

That said I am still a fan of my 2019 SF AWD Limited. Comfort, roominess beat the competition. As mentioned earlier a 2018 OB was all that was available Sep 18 and the SF beat it. SF does have HTRAC plus the ability to do the 4WD lock under 40 mph, better than RAV4 that cuts it out around 25 mph. The warranty beats OB and they have that CVT black cloud hanging similar to the 953. If I was shopping now the 2020 RAV4 Limited w/Android Auto might win since I need a vehicle that takes me reliably cross country for snow bird trips but I don't plan to trade for a long time.
Main reason I looked only at the 2.0T motor option....you must be same/close age to me being a "bird". I plan on never trading this car...lol...doesn't mean I won't own another vehicle. I have a 2008 Harley FLHTCUSE3 as well...something that I'm not getting the use out of it I should, mainly age related...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don’t think OB is better, and as I said, SF easily wins when it comes to technology and features. As for the price, the highest end OB Touring XT is comparable (around 1K cheaper in MSRP) with the highest end SF Limited 2.0T AWD. I have not researched the OTD prices and deals in my area yet. Hyundai has 0% APR compared to Subaru’s 2.9% APR.
The MSRPs are more similar yes. So I went into the Subaru dealer honestly wanting to buy a car. They may talk about Subaru resale value but they gave me minimum for my Subaru trade in, and didn't even stop eating their lunch to tell me they were not interested to discount their Subarus. They said they were out of this year's model and it was only July.

The Kia/Hyundai dealers gave me a nice discount and full bluebook value for my trade, yes they beat Subaru at buying a Subaru. So the OB could be better (opinion), and they tend to be one of the best MPG of any AWD, but it is not comparable to Hyundai/Kia in price for what you get.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I drove the 2020 OB and 2020 Santa Fe Turbo the same day and a couple of my observations. I was impressed with the overall ride comfort, engine performance, visbility, and quietness of the OB. The interior of the OB felt more premium with less plastic and higher grade of leather. The sound sytem was also better in the OB. I thought the SF excelled in overall features including heads up display, panoramic sun roof, 360 camera, and more center stack room for phone, wallet, keys, etc... The SF also felt less cramped than the OB for the driver area. I think Subaru dropped the ball by not having the option for heads up display, pano roof, and 360 camera, especially for a new model. Both are fantastic vehicles and can't go wrong with either. Still waiting for the 2020 Highlander to show up before a decision is made.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I drove the 2020 OB and 2020 Santa Fe Turbo the same day and a couple of my observations. I was impressed with the overall ride comfort, engine performance, visbility, and quietness of the OB. The interior of the OB felt more premium with less plastic and higher grade of leather. The sound sytem was also better in the OB. I thought the SF excelled in overall features including heads up display, panoramic sun roof, 360 camera, and more center stack room for phone, wallet, keys, etc... The SF also felt less cramped than the OB for the driver area. I think Subaru dropped the ball by not having the option for heads up display, pano roof, and 360 camera, especially for a new model. Both are fantastic vehicles and can't go wrong with either. Still waiting for the 2020 Highlander to show up before a decision is made.
Agree with everything you said.

·
Registered
388 Posts
You are in the wrong forum to dis the Santa Fe as you did..
I own a Hyundai, so I absolutely can comment.

In fact, any person, any car owner, any non-car owner can comment. This is an open forum and if you think only people with positive things to say about a particular subject are allowed to comment, then you are about as open to criticism as that retard Donald Trump.

Peace and mung beans

·
Registered
7 Posts
LSS I was cross shopping a lot of vehicles; OB, SF, CX5, RAV4. It came down to the OB & SF & I waited for the new gen OB. In short the new 11.6 infotainment became pretty much a deal breaker, that along w/ no basic center console storage area. In Oct. I purchased a SF Limited, w/ all a lot more bells & whistles compared to the OB. Not to mention more room on the inside, pano roof, a proper HUD (not stupid colored light bars), simple to use heated & vented seats (the OB takes way too many steps). Subaru did not do themselves any favors w/ the big screen & no hard buttons. No regrets, even though I really wanted an OB I just couldn't go that route.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Felt the same about the infotainment system. Was cross shopping with the Volvo XC40(Yea, I know it's night and day between the two cars) but the volvo had it where everything was controlled from the infotainment system and thought it was way more cumbersome and distracting than just having physical buttons. Plus, I must say, the new santa fe feels plenty luxurious and has more bells and whistles than most premium vehicles that can be 20k more.

I just hope that in the future, not all car manufacturers have everything controlled from the screen.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You forgot about one big feature the OB does not offer....... 10 year 100,000-mile warranty
One other thing..the S.F. ultimate audio system is one of the best systems in the market
It needs to set up properly...... it;s fantastic

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
You forgot about one big feature the OB does not offer....... 10 year 100,000-mile warranty
One other thing..the S.F. ultimate audio system is one of the best systems in the market
It needs to set up properly...... it;s fantastic
I don't see it (Hyundai audio system) on any of the lists in the links below, but sound is a matter of personal taste and I definately think the Harmon Kardon in my 15 yr old Saab sounds better than the premium Infinity sound in my wife's 2013 Sante Fe, but wait the Saab only has 8 speakers and the Hyundai 12.

But I don't know if Hyundai has upgraded since 2013 and I don't see Subaru on the lists either.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi,
I have been debating between 2020 SantaFe Limited AWD and 2020 Outback Touring/Limited XT and wondering if anyone here has cross-shopped these? If so, what were your observations and what did you end up buying?
Best Regards
Well if I can jump in here with some links to a Subaru forum I'm in as I just traded in my 2020 top of the line Outback for a 2020 top of the line Santa Fe. Reasons and opinions are in the links. Hope it helps.
Links to follow due to first post rules.
https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/cross-shop-2019-20-hyundai-santa-fe-vs-gen-5-6-outback.514783/post-5904836
https://www.subaruoutback.org/threads/traded-it-in-for-a-2020-hyundai-santa-fe-limited-2-0t.516350/

·
Registered
33 Posts
I own a Hyundai, so I absolutely can comment.

In fact, any person, any car owner, any non-car owner can comment. This is an open forum and if you think only people with positive things to say about a particular subject are allowed to comment, then you are about as open to criticism as that retard Donald Trump.

Peace and mung beans
This is, however, a car forum. Let's leave the politics for other forums.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Look at 2020 Limited with the 2.0T...my OTD was $35500...true OTD, not including tax, title, reg or any other location specific fees.
Isn't true OTD price the price you paid to take the car home? That would typically include , tax, title, lic and doc fees as well as the price of the car.

·
Registered
2020 2.4 SEL FWD
70 Posts
My other choice of car before deciding on the Santa Fe was a Subaru Outback. One thing that made me lean toward the Outback was the much better fuel mileage, per the official specs. What sent me back to the Santa Fe was the much better warranty and the fact I can buy a whole lot of fuel for the $6000 difference in price between comparably equipped cars. My only regret is I'm not confident the Hyundai SmartSense is quite as smart as the Subaru EyeSight safety system. The Subaru did hold a high card with the bonus symmetrical AWD but that's not much of an asset to me since I live down here in Lower Alabama.

·
Registered
122 Posts
EPA MPG figures may not be achievable to the typical owner (see dieselgate). If MPG is important to you, check out Fuelly where owners track real world MPG. For Hyundai / Kia, most owners easily achieve or exceed the EPA MPG figures. Other cars not so much.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree with you. Ignorance is bliss as when I bought my 2019 2.4L I had heard about this bearing problem necessitating 953 affecting models 8 years earlier and was told it's a production issue that'd been fixed long ago. Then about a year ago the 953 fix surfaced up thru 2018's and I thought, hmmm, what's different from a 2018 to 2019 Theta II engine? Now it's on 2019s, but an unofficial poster on the Sonota 953 thread (I posted a link on the 2019 Santa Fe 953 affecting MPGs thread) says 2019s are much better quality than say 2015s. It would nice if Hyundai confirmed that but most 2019s have less than 20,000 mi so do they really know or is this 953 a legal CYA? And is the software "built in" to 2020 Theta IIs?

That said I am still a fan of my 2019 SF AWD Limited. Comfort, roominess beat the competition. As mentioned earlier a 2018 OB was all that was available Sep 18 and the SF beat it. SF does have HTRAC plus the ability to do the 4WD lock under 40 mph, better than RAV4 that cuts it out around 25 mph. The warranty beats OB and they have that CVT black cloud hanging similar to the 953. If I was shopping now the 2020 RAV4 Limited w/Android Auto might win since I need a vehicle that takes me reliably cross country for snow bird trips but I don't plan to trade for a long time.
The theta engine was a concern for me but I decided to be optimistic based on the fact that Hyundai's reputation and financial standing is going to be ruined if they have to keep replacing engines. My thinking is that they've addressed the problem to the fullest extent possible without scrapping the engine design and hopefully brought it down to acceptable (normal) failure rates. If I were Hyundai, I'd probably implement the 953 knock sensor dual-purposing in every ECU in their lineup as an early failure warning so they can identify and repair engines under warranty before the problem propagates all the way to replacement. Hyundai's strong warranty also gave me some confidence, but let's face it - warranty or not, nobody wants to have the inconvenience of having their car in the shop.

OTOH I still think intake valve deposits with this GDI engine are a potential concern but there are cleaners and that's also a degradation problem as opposed to complete engine failure.

·
Registered
19 SF Limited AWD 2.4
263 Posts
The theta engine was a concern for me but I decided to be optimistic based on the fact that Hyundai's reputation and financial standing is going to be ruined if they have to keep replacing engines. My thinking is that they've addressed the problem to the fullest extent possible without scrapping the engine design and hopefully brought it down to acceptable (normal) failure rates. If I were Hyundai, I'd probably implement the 953 knock sensor dual-purposing in every ECU in their lineup as an early failure warning so they can identify and repair engines under warranty before the problem propagates all the way to replacement. Hyundai's strong warranty also gave me some confidence, but let's face it - warranty or not, nobody wants to have the inconvenience of having their car in the shop.

OTOH I still think intake valve deposits with this GDI engine are a potential concern but there are cleaners and that's also a degradation problem as opposed to complete engine failure.
Agree with most. I'm not as concered with GDI valve deposits, using Top Tier 100% of time plus a bottle of Techron a year (plus planning to trade before 100k mi). Having a failure within 100 mi of home isn't a concern either as long as they give me an AWD loaner in winter. The warranty is great and I do think/hope production quality by 2019-20 is much improved. What concerns me is the 4-6 weeks a year we drive 1200-1500 mi south. I'd like to use this SF for a few of these trips and a fail on the road eg TN mountains or OK would be a major pain. That was always a concern driving Grand Cherokees or Camrys in past 10 years but their drivetrains tended to be good quality. Santa Fe better do the same.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My only regret is I'm not confident the Hyundai SmartSense is quite as smart as the Subaru EyeSight safety system.
How so? I've used both and they seem fairly evenly matched. And in fact Subaru is the ONLY auto manufacture that solely relies on cameras. Where as everyone else as Hyundai use a camera and radar based system.
Although unlike Subaru when in reverse, Hyundai won't bring you to a full stop before backing into something.

21 - 40 of 82 Posts