Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been debating between 2020 SantaFe Limited AWD and 2020 Outback Touring/Limited XT and wondering if anyone here has cross-shopped these? If so, what were your observations and what did you end up buying?
Best Regards

·
Registered
93 Posts
Love my 2020 Santa Fe 2.0T Limited, no 4WD, by choice. If I was seriously in need of the AWD, I would probably own a Subaru, sorry Hyundai, My $.02

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which do you prefer?
I have been going back and forth on both and hence the post. But here are my observations from test drives.

Interior: I liked the interior of outback to be rather more refined and felt that there is more cheap plastic in Santa fe. I did not like the finish quality in Santa fe either and I know it will bug me every time I will drive. On the other hand, my wife liked the head room and panoramic sunroof of the santa fe. We also liked that Santa fe has more luggage space with back seats up

Engine and Performance: I liked the turbo engine and drive of the outback compared to Santa fe. The mpg in outback is also better.

Technology: Hyundai seems to have better camera technology and other features like heads up display, 360 degree view, and overhead display etc. Feels like outback dropped the ball in this area compared to its competition.

Warranty: Hyundai also has better warranty. I also own a 13 year old Sonata and did not have any major problems.

Overall, I like outback and my wife likes Santa fe. Another thing that is bothering me about outback is its lack of physical controls ( most of the controls, fans, heated car seats, etc., are via touchscreen ). I don’t mind using touch screen as much as I am worried about the reliability of it and the fact that it would be impossible to operate even the basic car functions should there are any issues with the screen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love my 2020 Santa Fe 2.0T Limited, no 4WD, by choice. If I was seriously in need of the AWD, I would probably own a Subaru, sorry Hyundai, My $.02
I am in North so AWD is kind of important. I do not plan to do any off roading though.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Personally I think the Santa Fe is a bland POS.
The Outback has style, a decent engine and is interesting.
It's your money. Buy the one you prefer.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I drove the 2019 OB and the 2019 SF beat it hands down a year ago, comfort, features, and believe it or not the heated seats in the OB did not get hot! Drove three of them, leather, no leather and they just didn't warm. Plus some doubts of the OB CVT durability didn't push me to the OB. However just received the 953 service campaign from Hyuandai so be sure you are "ok" with their GDI engine and possible (<5%?) problems vs Subaru's CVT issues. OB AWD is the best but SF has a low speed < 45 mph 4WD lock mode which is good. The best engine is Toyota RAV4 so GL!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I drove the 2019 OB and the 2019 SF beat it hands down a year ago, comfort, features, and believe it or not the heated seats in the OB did not get hot! Drove three of them, leather, no leather and they just didn't warm. Plus some doubts of the OB CVT durability didn't push me to the OB. However just received the 953 service campaign from Hyuandai so be sure you are "ok" with their GDI engine and possible (<5%?) problems vs Subaru's CVT issues. OB AWD is the best but SF has a low speed < 45 mph 4WD lock mode which is good. The best engine is Toyota RAV4 so GL!
Thank you for pointing me to the 953 campaign and related issues. After some initial browsing of articles and posts on different forums, this sounds like a deal breaker to me.

·
Registered
122 Posts
The one thing you didn't mention is price. Even if you think the OB is better (personal choice, I liked the SF far better) the price difference is huge. A fully loaded OB with all the features of the SF was going to be around 15% higher than than the SF with shorter warranty.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The one thing you didn't mention is price. Even if you think the OB is better (personal choice, I liked the SF far better) the price difference is huge. A fully loaded OB with all the features of the SF was going to be around 15% higher than than the SF with shorter warranty.
I don’t think OB is better, and as I said, SF easily wins when it comes to technology and features. As for the price, the highest end OB Touring XT is comparable (around 1K cheaper in MSRP) with the highest end SF Limited 2.0T AWD. I have not researched the OTD prices and deals in my area yet. Hyundai has 0% APR compared to Subaru’s 2.9% APR.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If AWD is a security issue for you, (I lived in upstate NY for 60+ years, Ithaca area), then either will be a good choice.
Look at 2020 Limited with the 2.0T...my OTD was $35500...true OTD, not including tax, title, reg or any other location specific fees.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Thank you for pointing me to the 953 campaign and related issues. After some initial browsing of articles and posts on different forums, this sounds like a deal breaker to me.
This campaign will, or has not, affected the 2020 model year...just FYI...

·
Registered
262 Posts
This campaign will, or has not, affected the 2020 model year...just FYI...
I agree with you. Ignorance is bliss as when I bought my 2019 2.4L I had heard about this bearing problem necessitating 953 affecting models 8 years earlier and was told it's a production issue that'd been fixed long ago. Then about a year ago the 953 fix surfaced up thru 2018's and I thought, hmmm, what's different from a 2018 to 2019 Theta II engine? Now it's on 2019s, but an unofficial poster on the Sonota 953 thread (I posted a link on the 2019 Santa Fe 953 affecting MPGs thread) says 2019s are much better quality than say 2015s. It would nice if Hyundai confirmed that but most 2019s have less than 20,000 mi so do they really know or is this 953 a legal CYA? And is the software "built in" to 2020 Theta IIs?

That said I am still a fan of my 2019 SF AWD Limited. Comfort, roominess beat the competition. As mentioned earlier a 2018 OB was all that was available Sep 18 and the SF beat it. SF does have HTRAC plus the ability to do the 4WD lock under 40 mph, better than RAV4 that cuts it out around 25 mph. The warranty beats OB and they have that CVT black cloud hanging similar to the 953. If I was shopping now the 2020 RAV4 Limited w/Android Auto might win since I need a vehicle that takes me reliably cross country for snow bird trips but I don't plan to trade for a long time.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I really like the look of the SF. The interior gave me the wow factor compared to the 2019 Legacy and Forester. The RAV4 is too ugly for me, seems to be the same design team for all Toyotas and Lexuses. If I didn't buy in 2019 and buying now, I would still buy the SF. For the new Subaru, I don't like the high integration of controls into the media panel and the CVT; also friends said Subaru mpg number is not achievable in real world driving.

·
Registered
3,273 Posts
Every review I've read mentions that the Toyota engine in the latest RAV4 is somewhat coarse and generates too much noise, being made by Toyota though it may be the best from a durability/reliability standpoint.
As for Subaru's CVT issues - they are widely regarded as one of the best if not the best CVTs on the market and have been making their own CVTs for long enough that the current versions are quite reliable, the CVT is what provides better fuel economy and Subarus to feel more powerful than 4cylinder competitors with traditional auto boxes. Typically on here people will mention Subarus head gasket issues which were rectified a number of yrs back, just as a select number of people bring up Toyotas sludging issues back around the turn of the century. Both the outback and the forester indivually outsell the Sante Fe in the US market, they are popular autos.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Every review I've read mentions that the Toyota engine in the latest RAV4 is somewhat coarse and generates too much noise, being made by Toyota though it may be the best from a durability/reliability standpoint.
As for Subaru's CVT issues - they are widely regarded as one of the best if not the best CVTs on the market and have been making their own CVTs for long enough that the current versions are quite reliable, the CVT is what provides better fuel economy and Subarus to feel more powerful than 4cylinder competitors with traditional auto boxes. Typically on here people will mention Subarus head gasket issues which were rectified a number of yrs back, just as a select number of people bring up Toyotas sludging issues back around the turn of the century. Both the outback and the forester indivually outsell the Sante Fe in the US market, they are popular autos.
I read an article on the 2020 Subaru it stated that compared to 2020 Santa Fe it was behind in Hyundais technology.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Except that most people aren't in "serious need" of AWD. Those folks in most Northern states that desire AWD can get thru the winter with pretty much any AWD system. And any of those in "serious need" of AWD could easily throw a set of winter tires on the SF, and would get better winter performance than a Subaru with all-seasons.

Yes, Subaru's AWD system is better; but they've brainwashed most people into thinking that it always makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts