Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really need help from the group!!
I just did a GDI cleaning using a can of CRG GDI cleaner, everything seemed to be going well. My girlfriend was holding the gas at 2000 rpm on my 2017 2 litre Tucson and I was spraying the spray into the hose coming from the PCV valve into the intake.
All went well, let it sit for an hour to heat soak as recommended by CRG.

After the hour was up, I took it out for a ride on the highway (as it's recommended in the instructions). As I got on the highway I accelerated up to 100 km/h and the engine choked and a huge cloud of white smoke shot out the back, I couldn't even see the other cars in the back!!

Is this normal for a Tucson with 88500 kms? Should I repeat the cleaning process to make sure all the gunk on the valves is gone?
Please, any help would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
It's normal. My Tucson smokes like a diesel with a blown turbo after a GDI service and I do it every 18,000 km. Stumbling and misfires happen when you do a service, as well.

·
Registered
3,788 Posts
I wouldn't worry because the smoke can only be associated with what you put in. Maybe too much but it shouldn't do any harm. I wouldn't do it again too soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the information! With the smoke that blew out the rear I was worried that I had blown a head gasket or something worse!

·
Registered
873 Posts
My concern is that the spray stuff pooled up in the intake manifold.
Then when you got out on the highway and gave it the beans, the high flow forced the pool of liquid into the engine all at once.

I also have the 2017 2.0 Tucson.
I will never spray stuff into the intake.
I haven't seen one post with pictures or problems with this engine (or any of the Hyundai engine for that matter).
I don't want that stuff and whatever it loosens or dissolves going into the cat converter.
If it ever shows symptoms of valve deposits I'll remove the intake manifold and clean the valves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts