Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I slowly go over bumps, like a speed bump, the car makes a creaking sound. It also does this when I turn into a bump as well.

I was researching this on Youtube and I'm frightened it might be a ball joint or something that costs a lot of money to fix. Or worse, something will break while driving (bad axles for example)

If anyone else has the same problem and has a solution, please do tell. It's making me nervous. I just got a new job and I really need my car to last a while.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just replaced ball joints on my 13 gt with 71800 miles. The noise could be heard coming from the right front suspension.

I took it to my mechanic who put it on the hoist and used a pry bar to verify it was the right front ball joint. I had him replace both Left and Right ball joints with Moog ball joints with grease fittings on them.

When he removed the bad right ball joint he said it was worn and in bad shape. If the ball joint would have separated I would have lost steering to my right front wheel.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replaced ball joints on my 13 gt with 71800 miles. The noise could be heard coming from the right front suspension.

I took it to my mechanic who put it on the hoist and used a pry bar to verify it was the right front ball joint. I had him replace both Left and Right ball joints with Moog ball joints with grease fittings on them.

When he removed the bad right ball joint he said it was worn and in bad shape. If the ball joint would have separated I would have lost steering to my right front wheel.
When you heard these noises, what kind of noise was it? And when was it doing it?

How much did it cost you per side? I also think my ball joins in the rear are going bad too!!!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Noise was a front suspension squeaking noise heard when making slow left turns into the garage or exiting my driveway unto my side street.

The Moog ball joints with grease fittings were cheaper than OEM Hyundai ball joints and had lifetime warranty vs 12 months/1 year for Hyundai.

I replaced both front struts at the same time (due to the mileage on the car) and replaced the plastic factory frt. stab. bar links (potential for noise also) with Moog Frt. Stab.Bar Links made of steel with grease fittings in them also.

There are No rear ball joints on this vehicle !

My OEM rear shocks were replaced with KYB shocks and that got rid of the rear squierrely rear end issues on this vehicle when hitting bumps in the road.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noise was a front suspension squeaking noise heard when making slow left turns into the garage or exiting my driveway unto my side street.

The Moog ball joints with grease fittings were cheaper than OEM Hyundai ball joints and had lifetime warranty vs 12 months/1 year for Hyundai.

I replaced both front struts at the same time (due to the mileage on the car) and replaced the plastic factory frt. stab. bar links (potential for noise also) with Moog Frt. Stab.Bar Links made of steel with grease fittings in them also.

There are No rear ball joints on this vehicle !

My OEM rear shocks were replaced with KYB shocks and that got rid of the rear squierrely rear end issues on this vehicle when hitting bumps in the road.

I took my car to the mechanic today. He used a pry bar and tested all joints and bushings. He said all of them were in good condition. He says that I'm hearing things lol. I'm stuck now.....

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Could also be dry bushings on the front stabilizer bar. They are hard to see, but reachable with a rubber (silicone) lubricant. If you don't have that, use an oil can to squirt brake fluid on them. If they are the source of the noise you will hear the difference, and brake fluid will not harm the rubber. Don't use oil.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
Not that this is my noise but my rear hatch spoiler was really loose and that made me very happy to know my "sunroof" is atleast a little less noisy now ;). Sunroof still makes a little noise but it was mainly the spoiler. Also when closing the hatch there used to be a rattle type noise and not a "thunk"... well that was the spoiler as well.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Interesting that the links on the '13 are not metal. Is that because of the standard suspension? My '14 with the suspension package has metal links.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Casper is going in tomorrow morning to have a "clunk" checked out in the right front suspension. If you have ever had a shock absorber bushing go bad, that's the sound. Checked everything I can without putting it on a lift. 47K miles, sound occurs when *slowly* going over speed bumps, or when turning on rough/irregular pavement. Definitely in the right front.

My buddy the platinum level tech said he would look at it, and I am welcome to come to the shop while he checks it out. I am thinking worst case, bad strut, best case, it really is a bad link and I just cannot fully test it at the house. I will let y'all know what he finds.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I suspected a strut issue. Which is one reason I didn't just start pulling the wiper arms and cover. If the strut was bad, warranty. If not, would spend a lot of time chasing it down.

Jeff drove the car, though he heard it but not sure, I was in the shop while he had the car up on the lift and showed him what I had checked. He went through all the sub-frame mounts and checked for proper torque, end links, strut bar mount. Nada.

Then dropped the car back down and pulled the wiper arms, cover, and started checking the upper strut mounts. Bingo, two of three bolts on the right strut were not tight. And the strut cartridge nut on the right was also loose. buttoned her back up, did a test drive with me driving, problem solved.

And we had a good visit while he worked.

·
Registered
2019 Elantra GT N Line, 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT (SOLD)
1,841 Posts
I suspected a strut issue. Which is one reason I didn't just start pulling the wiper arms and cover. If the strut was bad, warranty. If not, would spend a lot of time chasing it down.

Jeff drove the car, though he heard it but not sure, I was in the shop while he had the car up on the lift and showed him what I had checked. He went through all the sub-frame mounts and checked for proper torque, end links, strut bar mount. Nada.

Then dropped the car back down and pulled the wiper arms, cover, and started checking the upper strut mounts. Bingo, two of three bolts on the right strut were not tight. And the strut cartridge nut on the right was also loose. buttoned her back up, did a test drive with me driving, problem solved.

Yup! I had this issue on my coilovers the other day (less than a month ago). Tightened them all down and found one out of three was really loose on each side and the others a tad. I think it got rid of a little extra clunk as well. Easy fix though and glad yours was also.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Yup! I had this issue on my coilovers the other day (less than a month ago). Tightened them all down and found one out of three was really loose on each side and the others a tad. I think it got rid of a little extra clunk as well. Easy fix though and glad yours was also.

Thank you for this. I am going to try and see if the bolts are loose.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts