Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2013 Santa Fe 2.0T which I bought new in January. I have been very happy with the car so far, but in May I started hearing a relatively loud creaking noise come from the rear driver's side of the car when going over bumps or when going in out of driveways, ie when the car is bending.

I have had the car in 4 times for this problem, for a total of nearly 4 solid weeks in the shop. Initially I was told there were two pieces of metal rubbing, found when the removed the interior cargo side panels. It was shimmed and spray foamed and the creaking was gone for about 6 weeks. When it started again, they actually removed a piece of metal that was rubbing. That made no difference. It is not affected by temperature, you do not hear it on a straight flat road, but everytime I go in/out of my driveway or over a speedbump it is pretty loud.

Has anybody else been having this problem and come to a solution. I've basically been told by Hyundai service that there is nothing they can do anymore, but I don't think they've every found the problem.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Mine starting to make this noise a couple of months ago.

The dealer fixed the problem and that fix lasted for about 4 weeks. I find the is on both sides now especially when backing up.

The other week I was at the dealership for my creaking dash problem the service advior was in the vehicle with me when she heard the noise and said " oh, oh I hear you have the noise", She told me that Hyundai knows about the problem and that there is a fix for the problem.

This problem existed with 2007 - 2008 Santa Fe as well. I an attaching the fix that Hyundai provided at that time, It may or may not work on our models.

My vehicle is going to the dealership the first of the year to have the fix.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They did tell me it was where two body panels rubbed together. First they shimmed them and added spray foam - the fix lasted about 4 weeks. Next time they told me they cut out a piece of metal, who knows what that was. No improvement.

I think I am getting some noise from the right side too, so I think I should have that addressed. The issue now is they've told me I just need to live with it, that there is nothing else they can do about it.

I'm hoping somebody has had a fix that has worked permanently, because I'm not sure the Hyundai guys know what they are doing.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have put up with the squeaking/creaking for a considerable period of time. The dealership has tried several things with little or no success until yesterday.

My vehicle had a recall for the back up senors sometime ago and that is when the noise started according to my wife.

Yesterday, when at the dealership having service done I looked under the vehicle and asked the tech what did they do during the recall, he said they take off the bumper to start with....BINGO we looked at all the screws and bolts and a couple were no tight.

They were tightened and so far so good.

This may solve the problem for those that had the recall done and the squeaking/creaking started as there is styro behind the bumper.

Sorry to be so long but this may help.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Interesting... I have that weird noise when going through a big incline or basically anything that twists the car a bit. I wonder if the bumper is not 100% tight but I'd bet on that solder spot that other members had issues with.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Interesting... I have that weird noise when going through a big incline or basically anything that twists the car a bit. I wonder if the bumper is not 100% tight but I'd bet on that solder spot that other members had issues with.
I have the same noise - when slowly going over uneven roads too (sloped driveway etc).
really, with a pano roof and unibody construction - i'm not too concerned.
'tis what it is....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts