Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed their Sonata starting incredibly loud when it's cold out? I know it's normal to a certain degree, but mine actually has what sounds to be a rattle in it when it starts. After a period of time, it goes away of course.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Mine rev's up to 2000 rpm instantly and sounds like it's going to self-destruct then it settles down after a short time, less than a minute. The rattle/noise you hear is from the direct injection which uses very high fuel pressure and is common in DI cars. I don't know the exact psi of the fuel system but i do recall upwards of 2000 psi. iirc the electric waste gate opening also adds to the noise on start-up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Per Hyundai TSB 10-EM-005:

RATTLE / BUZZING SOUND DURING INITIAL
COLD START OR WHEN ACCELERATING FROM
LOW ENGINE RPM

DESCRIPTION:
Some drivers of the 2011 model year Sonata equipped with the 2.0L Turbocharger GDI
engine may notice a slight engine rattle or buzzing sound during certain operating
conditions. The sound may sound similar to a loose exhaust heat shield.
This sound may be noticed:

• When the engine is started after a long cool down period with coolant temperature
less than 86oF (30oC). Initial start up rattle/buzzing may last for 25 seconds.

• During acceleration with engine speed between 1,500 ~ 2,500 RPM.
APPLICABLE VEHICLES:

• 2011 model year (YF) Sonata 2.0L Turbo

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
During normal engine operation, natural engine vibrations are transmitted to the
turbocharger waste gate actuator rod, the pivot point, and the waste gate valve. The
rattle or buzzing sound that may occur results from the required tolerances in the waste
gate pivot point and the waste gate valve. These tolerances are necessary to allow
operation under the extreme operating temperatures experienced by the turbocharger.

SERVICE ACTION:
No repair should be attempted for this rattling or buzzing condition. This normal
operating characteristic will not affect the performance or durability of the vehicle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah It's the actuator rod. I don't see how this is normal. I have owned about five turbo cars and not one of them made that sound. That noise is almost embarrissing when I start it up! new car and it sounds like a POS!!!! I should have stayed with my Subaru Legacy gt turbo but too late now:(

·
Registered
150 Posts
No question it has a loud vibration on startup below freezing. It sounds like a lawn mower... awful.

Good to know there is nothing wrong with the car.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
Sister in laws Pontiac Solstice 2.0, probably the first direct injection turbo oout there, also sounds like crap on start up.

So maybe the engineers aren't making it up.

Anybody heard if Ford's direct injection is also loud.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I have the non-turbo. It sounds like a sewing machine when starting up cold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
QUOTE (santa06 @ Dec 13 2010, 04:18 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379448
Sister in laws Pontiac Solstice 2.0, probably the first direct injection turbo oout there, also sounds like crap on start up.

So maybe the engineers aren't making it up.

Anybody heard if Ford's direct injection is also loud.
I have a vw with their 2.0t direct injected turbo engine and it can be loud on startup and sound like a diesel with lots of clatter but it goes away quickly. Loud starts seem to be a characteristic of this generation of di engines. My brothers 06 gti is the same. But I did notice that the sonata seems rougher and more clattery than any other di engine vie experienced. But it isn't bad try starting a typical diesel

I do note that the BMW 335d has no clatter on a cold start.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I suppose that's to be expected with a car in this price range vs. something like the BMW that you're talking about. I'm also glad to learn that nothing's actually wrong. Thanks for the info guys.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts