Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual reads, "The Smart Cruise Control System allows you to program the vehicle to maintain constant speed and distance detecting the vehicle ahead without depressing the accelerator/ brake pedal." What it doesn't say is that if the forward collision warning sensor is triggered while smart cruise control is on, then NO automatic braking will occur. The non-hybrid model of the same model year has automatic emergency braking, but the hybrid only has non-emergency braking. In emergencies, it just beeps. Watch me crash on YouTube, search "Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Has No Automatic Emergency Braking with Radar Cruise Control!"

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sorry, I'm confused. The hybrid's have never had automatic emergency braking. That's very clear in the manual and it is the only safety feature it lacks for me. Only the non-hybrid Sonatas have automatic emergency braking.

Or are you saying that the Collision Warning system somehow causes the Smart Cruise Control to stop braking entirely?

I didn't see any airbags deploy or the hood buckle so it was a low-speed hit. Was that you braking or the cruise control? It looked like you were moving at highway speeds but I did not see an excessive closure rate indicative of no braking at all.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Are you OK? I sure hope you weren’t injured! You probably shouldn’t answer on a public forum though. My ‘16 PHEV only brakes w/ adaptive cruise control activated. In fact—it brakes later and thus harder than I do. It scares me and my passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
Are you OK? I sure hope you weren’t injured! You probably shouldn’t answer on a public forum though. My ‘16 PHEV only brakes w/ adaptive cruise control activated. In fact—it brakes later and thus harder than I do. It scares me and my passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno about that, but you have an S90!?! There isn't a lot that makes me jealous, but you come close...:mad:

How do you like it? PM me to keep from going too OT.

·
Registered
13,349 Posts
The manual reads, "The Smart Cruise Control System allows you to program the vehicle to maintain constant speed and distance detecting the vehicle ahead without depressing the accelerator/ brake pedal." What it doesn't say is that if the forward collision warning sensor is triggered while smart cruise control is on, then NO automatic braking will occur. The non-hybrid model of the same model year has automatic emergency braking, but the hybrid only has non-emergency braking. In emergencies, it just beeps. Watch me crash on YouTube, search "Hyundai Sonata Hybrid Has No Automatic Emergency Braking with Radar Cruise Control!"
Well, you're talking to us, so this is good. Any crash you can walk away from...

Reactions: PhaetonYes

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The FCW frequently beeps whenever a car cuts you off whether SCC is on or off. When SCC is on and the car ahead decelerates beneath the FCW's triggering threshold, then SCC will brake as hard as necessary to maintain distance all the way to a stop, if necessary. However, in this case no SCC braking occurred when FCW triggered. I slammed on the brakes, triggering ABS, before rear-ending. The speedometer on the bottom of the video shows SCC accelerated up to almost 48 mph before I stood on the brakes. Although it's not synced with video, it certainly showed no deceleration by SCC when FCW triggered.

FCW cries wolf so often that I would be rear-ended on every trip if I panic braked every time it beeps!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No injuries. The car remained drive-able. With the radar damaged, cruise control works without braking, of course, for a few minutes until it deactivates with a warning about an obstructed radar. FCW continues to work with the undamaged camera. At highway speeds, I usually set my SCC with 2 bars of following distance and the slowest resume speed reaction in the settings menu. This usually gives the smoothest ride without inviting everyone to cut me off. I only lower it to 1 bar of distance in a crawling traffic jam.

·
Registered
559 Posts
OK, thanks for the clarifications. I rarely lower mine below four bars and have the adaptive cruise control set to the least-sensitive setting because otherwise it floors it trying to increase the speed a small amount.

One thing I've noticed about mine, which I'll have the dealer look at during the next visit, is that sometimes it does not see the car in front of me if I engage the adaptive cruise control when no cars are in front of me. It didn't used to do this so I suspect it may be out of alignment or something. If there is a car in front of me in the usual range it sees it immediately.

And yeah, my FCW sees ghosts as well but just occasionally. The dealer could find nothing wrong. You know, because they drove it for a short distance and it never happened. <sigh>

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
My 2016 Ulitmate. I have never seen the FCW go off with my SCC on. My SCC has stopped my car, slowed my car to a crawl to let someone turn left, and started to slow when it saw cars stopped at a light way ahead where as I then applied the brakes.

Just watched the video... No.. I had that happen many times and my car brakes as soon as it's 80 feet ahead of me.
I can't see your dash to see if your SCC was on or just your CC. I have had people in the center land pull in front of me (slow land), then off the exit and my car brakes (and has braked hard) when people pulled in front of me, then slowed. My FCW only goes on when my SCC is not on.

My wife just watched the video, she said the same thing, our car would have started to "break" as soon as the car's brakes lights would go on, way ahead.
Your SCC was not working... I use the SCC every day.. love it. I have my SCC at 2 bars at 50+ mph.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is there any actual hardware difference between the hybrid and non-hybrid models with SCC and FCW that prevent implementation of AEB in the hybrids?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I don't know. I do not see how they added automatic breaking to make the SCC and not have it stop the car. Of course the LEGAL stuff, is it's a safety feature and you are the driver and need to take the appropriate action. WHY the person did not hit the brakes when she saw the car slowing. I can only tell you what my 2016 Ultimate does. Just drove 240 miles to CT and back last week to pick up a used Volvo XC60 t6 for my son. His Volvo also has SCC (they may call it something else) and it slowed me down many times during the trip. And I have had the SCC stop me at a light (with cars in front of me) a couple of times.

Either her's was not working or Hyundai has a wacky SCC for that model . As I said, mine hits the brakes way before the wall of stopped cars at a stop light.
My son's Volvo (2016) also has the pedestrian avoidance system, like to see how that works and the lawsuits that will bring. You're doing 40 and someone steps in front of you. No way are you not going to stop in time.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Is there any actual hardware difference between the hybrid and non-hybrid models with SCC and FCW that prevent implementation of AEB in the hybrids?
I'm sure it has something to do with the regenerative braking on the hybrid. Maybe they cannot automatically slam the brakes on. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the disc-and-rotor mechanism on the hybrid is less effective than a regular Sonata because it's only supposed to kick in at low speeds.

I did read a recent article on automatic emergency braking systems and apparently there are two types, one that stops the car before impact and one that just slows the car down so it's a low-speed hit. I never knew (or thought) the second type existed.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
I'll play devils advocate here. I saw the brake lights come on with plenty of time to stop. So why didn't you brake? This was a totally avoidable accident.

Reactions: beevel

·
Registered
404 Posts
After watching the video I feel that if you were actually running with SCC engaged then it should have slowed you down and stopped the car. Mine isn't a hybrid but based on what I just watched, like a few others have commented, my car would have never even signaled a collision alert, it would have just abruptly shut down to a stop in that instance. It didn't even look like your vehicle was slowing down much at all.

I've even had a few instances exactly like the video while using SCC where the collision warning sounded due to either being cut off or traffic abruptly stopping, at which time the brakes dug in harder and grinded the car to a stop so it didn't crash into the vehicle in front of me. And my 15 doesn't have active forward collection, just the warning. SCC on mine even detects stopped vehicle at stop lights and slows down before inching to a stop right behind them.

My point is unless there's a hardware difference in brake systems between hybrid and non that prevents the abrupt stopping/slowing of the car, the SCC system on the sonata is a very good system and goes well beyond just maintaining speed and diatance with vehicles in front.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I'm sure it has something to do with the regenerative braking on the hybrid. Maybe they cannot automatically slam the brakes on. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the disc-and-rotor mechanism on the hybrid is less effective than a regular Sonata because it's only supposed to kick in at low speeds.

I did read a recent article on automatic emergency braking systems and apparently there are two types, one that stops the car before impact and one that just slows the car down so it's a low-speed hit. I never knew (or thought) the second type existed.
I can't agree with it being a regenerative braking issue, causing the Sonata Hybrid not have the Emergency Braking but only a warning. I say this because the Kia Optima Hybrid, using the same powertrain/hybrid system does offer the Automatic Emergency Braking. Additionally, the Ioniq Hybrid -- again with the same hybrid technology (though some differences in implementation, such as the DCT) also offers Automatic Emergency Braking.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just watched the video. I use smart cruise control all the time on both my vehicles. One thing I have learned is to never change lanes with it on and to pay attention when someone is merging into your lane.

The cruise control system really just follows the car ahead of you and it's great at that. As soon as a car merges in the calculations it's made are off. Most cases it can recover, but in some you have to step in. Also, in the case of merging to another lane, the car doesn't know you've just done that. It now has to look ahead to the car ahead of you and make adjustments.

Notice the distance indicator will have two cars between the 4 lines. When a car isn't detected it will only show one car and that is when you can get into trouble.

In the video it looks like you just merged into another lane before the accident and may not have detected the car until too late.

Anyway sorry that happened I wish it had the AEB as well, I have it on my Pacifica but it's still not a for sure thing that it would've prevented that accident.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
<<<Sonata Hybrid not have the Emergency Braking but only a warning >>> For the past year my 2016 HSH Ultimate has stopped me hard and slowed me when others have jumped in front of me. It has also stopped me when coming up to cars at a light. I have not had someone slam and stop in front of me and waited to see what the SCC would do. The drive had plenty of time to hit the brakes.

As I said in a different post, my 2016 HSH has really braked hard as someone in front of me in the slow lane moves over to an exit ramp, and then slow way down. They are still in the lane a bit when the do that and the SCC keeps me far behind them by breaking hard. I now hit the CANCEL button to avoid that happening until I pass them and turn it back on.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Glad to hear you are okay.

Just watched the video, this type of mushy SCC braking is exactly what I experience all the time with my 16 HSH. I can't quite put a finger on it, in the braking situation shown in the video, 90% of the time my HSH will react properly and apply heavy braking power to bring to a full stop, albeit with the collision warning sounding in half of these situations. The other 10% of the time my HSH will have a brain-fart and only apply light to medium braking power while gunning ahead for the ass of the car in front with collision warning blaring. If I haven't applied additional braking power in these 10% of time I would have gotten into several accidents already. There appears to be no rhyme or reason to it, and it happens in all situations, regardless of how much distance is between me and the car ahead. Annoying really as you need to be on guard all the time.

Once SCC did do a textbook correct stop for me with a one car follow distance and I got rear ended by some lady who wasn't paying attention. :dry:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Radar replaced during repairs. Never paid attention to this before, but it now seems to let half of a car ahead merge into my lane before detecting it. It also seems more sensitive to cars on my left. Beginning inclines cause more radar misses than when following cars going over a hill.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I've noticed that it seems to have a limited "beam steering" capability. Following a car while going around a semi-gentle turn does not pick up the slower cars I'm passing but on a quicker turn it does see the other cars. I've also noticed the hill thing you've mentioned.

One thing it was doing but has now stopped doing is completely missing a car or truck in front of me IF I turned on SCC while there was nothing in front of me. I've tried to get a video but there usually isn't enough time. Once the indicator was not showing the second car and I came up on a FedEx truck. It never saw it and I had to manually brake or I would have smacked that thing hard.

I first noticed that behavior when going over the crest of a hill. It never saw the cars in front of me as I started to come down the hill.

You just need to keep situational awareness in the forefront at all times when driving.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts