Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2005 Sonata (which I gave to my daughter) broke down on the interstate last night. It has the 2.7 6 cyl engine.) The top gear to the rear inside of the timing cover (I assume it is the cam gear) snapped off of the shaft. It actually grinded a hole thru the cover itself and I just reached in and pulled the gear out. Crazy. Am I correct in assuming that this engine has crashed and is now junk?

·
22,793 Posts
Without actually removing a few parts, it's hard to tell. Sometimes you get lucky. Minimal expense. Most of the time, you're not so lucky.

The valves stopped doing their thing when the cam no longer was engaged. The valves (some or all) may be bent, the head may be cracked, other major damage. A reliable mechanic can get close to figuring it out.

Do you want to invest more into a 2005 model car? Hard to say without knowing what you're facing in repair fees.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Read here.

And yes, if the timing belt ripped off the cam gear the engine's life is definitely over since such event does not happen without a reason. The wheel going off one camshaft also means that the belt is loose so you'll also have a similar extent of damage to the other bank where the wheel is still on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts