Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've had my Accent since 2006 and love it, bought it new off the lot and aside from a failing transmission bearing that required a tranny swap (under warranty), it's been relatively trouble free.

When my wife decided it was time to pass on her mustang, she decided she wanted something small and colorful. We ended up with a 2013 hatchback accent in the Electrolyte Green. She loves it. I love being able to find it in the parking lot :).

That said, for some reason our mileage has plummeted recently. In the past we have been getting 30-35 in the city, and 42-46 on the highway, depending on how hilly the road is. Now, we are in the 25-28 range in the city, and 30-33 on the highway... which just isn't going to cut it.

So.. I have a sneaky suspicion that this might be related to the transmission computer update that there was a service bulletin out on the car for, but until I can check that out with the dealer, I'm curious if anyone has any other ideas on things I could look into that might be causing this? I need to do some service on it soon, so if ya'll have any ideas I can check into it while I'm doing the other work.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
907 Posts
How many miles are on this new accent??

It has been discussed before that, at first, the accent's mileage is below what it is rated, and I'm talking about much less than 37mpg highway, which is its true and correct rating after the Hyundai MPG/EPA fiasco last year... As you "break" the engine in more, the mileage should improve and the amount of mileage necessary varies from as little as 200 miles to 5,000 miles...

Good luck!

·
Banned
1,850 Posts
Are you using the A/C more now that summer is here?
With a small engine like that, the AC can make up to a 3% difference......from no use to full blast.

If you somehow went from pure gas to E10, that can make another 3%.

Sometimes the common factors change and you aren't aware of it: head winds, sitting longer in traffic, heavier foot, etc.

Also check for a dragging brake and low tire pressure.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I would second the idea about the quality of the gas. Some areas like Colorado and New Mexico are getting 85 octane crap gas and I'm assuming a higher than 10% ethanol content. I've got less than 5K miles on my SE and I seem to get around 28 mpg if it's only heavy stoplight urban driving but will pull in the low to mid-30s if I can go a mile or so between stops. I usually don't get lower than 38 mpg on pure highway driving so 30 mpg hwy does seem a little off. FWIW, my mileage hasn't really changed for better or worse since it was new so I haven't seen a break-in effect with the gas mileage.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys, thanks for the replies so far.

Yup, it's been in for an oil change since then, I'll check the level and make sure it's not overfull. I think it's at about 11-12k miles right now, I'll have to double check. They did the tranny comp flash at about 8k when we took it in for service, it's been doing this roughly ever since. The flash was back in the early part of the year too, when it was still cold, and we noticed it then as well, its just gotten to the point now where we are overly irritated about it.

I considered blaming the AC and summer gas, but my wife doesn't drive with the AC in the city, and usually our highway trips are at night so once the car has cooled down, we turn it off.

If you run the numbers, our mileage differential is much higher than 3%...

I've also run takes of pure gas, as well as higher octane E10 and I get roughly the same results.

Here is the thing, the mileage has dropped to the point where she is coming close to what her old V6 mustang used to get (22-25city, 28highway). I can drive the car and only get slightly better mileage then she does, it's roughly coming out on par with what my 2006 Accent is getting.

We did originally see the mileage start to creep higher as we broke the car in, but this drop just has us scratching our head.

I'll check her brakes and make sure her tires are good.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I'm at 23-25-26 in the city and 31-33 for the freeway so welcome to the low mpg Accent hatch club, its a fantastic car I will add. Drives perfect, fairly quiet and pretty comfortable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having the same issue with my 2009 Accent. Was getting the 26 street but not 35 hwy, was good for 2 yrs when mileage plummeted. I now average 20 mpg it's not even worth driving at this point. I have heard of this issue from several others and think there is an issue with the car itself

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the ridiculous thing is that my 2006 is almost getting the same or better mileage.. and that's with two 50lb sandbags in the backseat floorboard...

·
Registered
5 Posts
That's odd, I have a 2013 Accent SE hatchback, at about 8200 miles right now, and my highway gas mileage is at about 39-41, with AC, and my city is at about 32-34 in heavy traffic, and about 35-36 in light traffic. I do have a manual transmission though, so maybe it was that tranny comp flash...bring it back to the dealer, see what they have to say, that's my suggestion.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2013 Accent three weeks ago, and after my first tank of gas I had 23.8 mpg. I'm very concerned, is this normal for the first tank?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I bought my 2013 Accent three weeks ago, and after my first tank of gas I had 23.8 mpg. I'm very concerned, is this normal for the first tank?
It wasnt for me. I bought mine a month ago today and I get about 30.5 with a mix of hwy and traffic. Pure hwy, 37mpg.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My first tank was 36 with mixed highway and city. Took a 1300 mile trip on the next 3 tanks and got a low of 39 MPG and a high of 41 MPG. Manual transmission with A/C on part of the time.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
23.8 doesn't sound all that bad.. Was this 100% city driving with the AC on? FWIW, the EPA rating for all city is 28 MPG.. So you're only about 4.2 MPG out... Your car should improve a bit as it breaks in.. I wouldn't lose sleep over one tank, but if it persists, you might want to have the dealer check it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was the mileage from the computer or was it a manual calculation? I have a 2013 SE auto, with 8000+ and I get an average city of 29-31 with a manual calculation. The computer readings are always higher by 2-3/mpg. Does anyone have get consistent readings where one can rely on the computer or do I just have to live with it?

·
Registered
43 Posts
i have a 13 accent hatch se. i average 32 mixed (mostly city) and have gotten as high as 35mpg. havent made a all highway trip yet to see hwy mileage. this is manual calculation. according to the computer i average between 38 and 40.

i also have notice that the speedo is off by 1.5 to 2 mph. if speedo say im goin 60 my gps say about 58mph. so this could effect peoples calculations also

1 - 20 of 59 Posts