Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I'm changing my Timing belt on my 04 Santa FE 3.5L V6 and have hit a roadblock. I've read the post here on the job details and I also have a Haynes manual(finally they make them now for Santa Fe!)

The problem I have is Ive removed the crankshaft bolt with an Impact wrench and it came off fine, but the bottom pulley I think is stuck to the crankshaft gear(timing). The inside of the pulley all around the bolt is heavliy usted and what appears to be the nipple that is should be attached to the gear is heavily rusted. Most here on the forums just pulled theirs off by hand, the manual says I'd need a puller, which I have, but there are no threads on the pulley to "pull" from, so I don't see how that would help.

My question is if I pull this off by force(hand) and the gear comes with it I wouldn't have had the chance to check and mark the belt and timing mark(block) before the belt slipping off the gear. I THINK I have the timing in postition from above based on the blue marks on the cam gears pointing at the o'clock positions Ive seen in the manual diagram, but even that I'm not positive about because I can't see any marks on the block or head yet.

Anyone else had this problem of detaching the belt while removing the crank pulley?

Am I screwed if I can't mark the belt first before losing the belt tension?

I'm pretty frustrated cause all the timing belt jobs ive done on my 4 cylinder engines, the pulley(balancer) slides right off the crank upon removal of the bolt.

This is the second belt for the car. The dealer did this job at 60k and I'm now at 115k. I wonder if the dealer screwed up something reinstalling the pulley?

Thanks for reading!

·
Premium Member
15,116 Posts
soak what you can with de-rust, try knocking the pulley around the edges with a hammer to free it away from the crankshaft, work at it for a while as it may not free off straight away. if it still will not move set the timing marks up the best you can on the camshafts and then force the crank pully off. if the timing gear comes off with the pully you can seperate it on the bench and refit it and then reset all the timing marks before you fit the new belt, the gear is marked (see picture) so you can't go wrong

[attachment=20980:pulley.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help Montego. I got if off finally! I saturated the nipple with wd40 last night and got another pair of hands to hold the pulley while I whacked the nipple with a punch. It came off after a couple knocks. That rusted nipple was culprit. Im surprised how rusted it was since this car is garage kept. Thankfully the belt stayed on. :)

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (klink @ Oct 29 2010, 11:10 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367273
Thanks for the help Montego. I got if off finally! I saturated the nipple with wd40 last night and got another pair of hands to hold the pulley while I whacked the nipple with a punch. It came off after a couple knocks. That rusted nipple was culprit. Im surprised how rusted it was since this car is garage kept. Thankfully the belt stayed on. :)

DON"T WHACK THE ROLL PIN !!!

The pulley is stuck on nose of the crank cog... take and vibrate the center hub of the pulley.. take and clean the nose of the crank cog and pocket of the crank pulley so they fit right together.

Get the belt exposed, then take and mark at belt tooth at each cog, then you can transpose the marks from old belt onto new belt and know you have it back where you started to begin with.

Enjoy the ride, 3.5 timing belt is not something for the beginner. I stared painting as the Hyundai cam hold tools is junk... as soon you flip the tensioner out, the bank 1 cams zoom away on you... you'll find out real fast.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Oct 29 2010, 04:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=367364
Enjoy the ride, 3.5 timing belt is not something for the beginner. I stared painting as the Hyundai cam hold tools is junk... as soon you flip the tensioner out, the bank 1 cams zoom away on you... you'll find out real fast.
Yeah....this is some ride. I wondering if saving the $$ is worth this much aggrivation. Four cylinder engines are sooo much easier! I didn't know there was such a tool to hold the cams, but by your posts, it looks like it was money saved! ;)

Unfortunately I read your post after I removed the belt, but I DID know enough to mark my old belt in multiple spots on each side of each cam cog. I saw exactly what you said about the first cam springing back quite a ways. My right head's cams look like they didn't move at all thankfully. I'm hoping that if I get a buddy to hold the left cam in place with a rachet, I can position the other marks on the other cams ok, only only have to deal with the one cam that moved.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts