Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, new member with a new (to me) Sonata. It's a 2006 GLS v6 with 89,000 miles on it. Bought it with my girlfriend for a nice, qaulity, and reliable car for her, and from what I've read it seems it should be. Love the car, it's actually fun to drive and I like the looks of it. Hopefully it will prove to be a wise purchase for us :)

On to my question. I searched and found only one other thread about it but that didn't resolve anything it seems. The crankshaft pulley seperated on us after a long car ride. Just as we were a couple miles from home, the battery light came on, power steering stopped and the air conditioning turned off. Figured the belt broke. Got home and the belt wasn't broke, but it was completely off all the pulleys. Further inspection I found that the outside grooved half of the crankshaft pulley had fallen off the center part connected to the crank. HOW does that happen?? I've worked on a lot of cars for years and never heard of that. Anyways, is there any action I can take besides buying the part from a dealer and doing it myself? They don't seem to be available at part stores and didn't find much online. I'm pretty sure no dealer is going to cover it under any kind of warranty. We bought it AS-IS, no warranty. We are the second owners and the miles are now at 89,000 miles. Would any TSB's or recalls handle this situation?

Sorry for the long post but I'm just trying to get some info here.

And I have heard a few other names for this pulley. Harmonic pulley. Vibration Damper. I know it's the crankshaft pulley, but are those other names refering to the same part?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide me.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Yeah, I've seen this before on a 2001 Sonata V6. I think the studs that hold the thing together rust out and it separates. Also known as a harmonic balancer. I think vibration damper is something different, could be wrong.

If it was my car, I'd search car-part.com for a junkyard in your area and call around for a u-pull place. It's only worth $5 or $10 bucks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
If your local Hyundai & Kia dealer not have 2 on the shelf, there is something wrong with their stocking habits...

My price guide says we have (2) on the shelf currently.... :banana:

23124-3C100 PULLEY-DAMPER $ 144.42

Bought 1 yet ?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry I should probably update you guys. Thanks for the help locating the part, but sbr711 was right. The cheapest I could find the part here in the real world was $144.42, after tax about $153. And to get a $110 part here the next day would def. be more than that, not to mention I was able to pick the part up that evening and fix it that same night. The only other thing I could have done was get the part from a yard for much cheaper, but who know what shape that would've been in or how long it would last.

Replacing it was super easy with the only tough part being getting the crankshaft bolt off. The only trick I could get to work was jamming a ratchet in there and turning over the engine. Dangerous I know, but the other ways didn't seem to work.

So, new pulley+new belt=no more strange ticking & a happy girlfriend :grin: now to try and figure out if that other tick is the timing chain tensioners....

Thanks again for the help

·
Registered
213 Posts
My harmonic balancer had to be changed under warranty at 30,000 miles on my '08. I caught it before it completely separated. It started making a squealing noise on startup.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
QUOTE (fbird18 @ Jul 9 2010, 12:52 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340253
Replacing it was super easy with the only tough part being getting the crankshaft bolt off. The only trick I could get to work was jamming a ratchet in there and turning over the engine. Dangerous I know, but the other ways didn't seem to work.
Great!

I hope you torqued it to Hyundai specs, or at least to generic fastener specs. I'm not a guy that
uses a torque wrench on every little thing, but thats one place I definitely would.

·
Registered
12 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ Jul 10 2010, 12:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340537
Great!

I hope you torqued it to Hyundai specs, or at least to generic fastener specs. I'm not a guy that
uses a torque wrench on every little thing, but thats one place I definitely would.
How? I just did a timing belt and took this off with an impact wrench, and tightened it that way, too...but I really have no idea if it's torqed enough, not enough, or too much. It's supposed to be 135 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jul 7 2010, 12:35 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339527
If your local Hyundai & Kia dealer not have 2 on the shelf, there is something wrong with their stocking habits...

My price guide says we have (2) on the shelf currently.... :banana:

23124-3C100 PULLEY-DAMPER $ 144.42

Bought 1 yet ?
I have this problem on my 2001 V6...The A/C compressor is squeaking...they said the crankshaft pulley was separated and that it will fall off.

they want $700 because they say the pulley is attached to a gear that runs the timing belt and they have to completely disassemble the front of the engine. Reasonable? The *@#&* warrantee was up 2 months ago :(

Thoughts?

Bob

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (Bob of the deep @ May 11 2011, 05:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=443957
I have this problem on my 2001 V6...The A/C compressor is squeaking...they said the crankshaft pulley was separated and that it will fall off.
Yep, common 2.7L occurrence..

they want $700 because they say the pulley is attached to a gear that runs the timing belt and they have to completely disassemble the front of the engine.
Part is "MAYBE" $150..... If they nice, 1/2hr shop rate to install... Your dealer is trying to bend you over and hope you like it..

Flip the belt off the pulley, run the bolt out, jiggle the part off, set new part on, install bolt, put belt back on... cant be any easier than that unless you snap your fingers and it installs itself..

Reasonable? The *@#&* warrantee was up 2 months ago :(
Due for timing belt and drive belt replace ?? Should be no labor to swap part duriing t-belt service..If not, just replace the pulley

Thoughts?
They trying to RIP YOU OFF!!! Buy the part at the part counter, and walk by the service fella and tell him the shop down the street is going to charge you 1/2hr shop labor to install the pulley,, smile and leave. Then tell me the look on the fella face when you tell him.. I like to hear what happens

Bob

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Bob of the deep @ May 11 2011, 05:49 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=443957

they want $700 because they say the pulley is attached to a gear that runs the timing belt and they have to completely disassemble the front of the engine. Reasonable? The *@#&* warrantee was up 2 months ago :(

Thoughts?

Bob
Just replaced the harmonic balancer on 2007 Sonata 3.3 V6. Remove rgt front wheel/tire. Remove 3 reataining bolts on splash shield. Remove balancer retaining bolt with air impact wrench (took about 10 seconds of steady impact with a 220 ft-lb capacity wrench). Balancer came off without a puller. Note - NEW PART NUMBER from Hyundai (guess they admit that the old design is flawed - hence so many failures). New part number is 231243C111. Installed new balancer, torqued retaining bolt with the impact wrench, installed the belt (just torque the tensioner lug nut while a 2nd person helps to place the serpentine belt in and around pulleys) - then release once all belts are correctly routed onto pulleys. Install splash shield, install wheel/tire. Good to go - whole proces took less than 30 minutes. Cost of part was $141.75 with 10% discount. Will write letter to Hyundai in hopes of recouping cost under warranty since part failed at 83000 miles.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Is the broken crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer a common issue on the 2006-2010 3.3l V6 Sonata?

If so what around what amount of mileage does it go at?

·
Registered
10 Posts
QUOTE (journeyforce @ Jun 26 2011, 09:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=467169
Is the broken crankshaft pulley/harmonic balancer a common issue on the 2006-2010 3.3l V6 Sonata?

If so what around what amount of mileage does it go at?
I had the same problem on my 2006 Sonata at 93.000 Km. Probably it's a common issue if you leave your car outdoors with many temperature changes: the gum ring get old and breaks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thank you for the info.

Hi,
I drive an 06 sonata lx. I noticed belt squeal and replaced the serp belt, still had belt noise. I then replaced the tensioner and the idler pulley, better but still noisy and prone to slipping when going through puddles. I've been fooling around with cars for 40 years, so I know the fundamentals. I never, ever would have suspected the crank pulley to be coming apart, never saw that happen before. When I read posts on this forum concerning this problem, I ran to my garage with a flashlight, sure enought the pulley was coming apart. This problem was driving me nuts, thank you so much for giving me a solution. I was afraid the AC comp was failing or something like that and that just wasn't in the budget.
Thanks again.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts