Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have just aquired a great little 1994 Lantra, but it came with a leaking crankshaft seal.
I've had it to my mechanic who is on his second attempt to try and remove the crankshaft pulley bolt, it refuses to budge with all sorts of leverage and tools, his next option is to use an oxy? I have to speak with him in person so I presume he intends to heat the bolt up?
He has mentioned it may break.
Has anyone had similar issues?
Ray

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Did you try the starter motor method? Get a breaker bar, or the largest wrench/ratchet you can find and put it securly on the said bolt. Turn the crank with it until you reach a spot you can wedge the wrench/ratchet into the unibody, or even against the ground... someplace where you can't turn it anyplace and it will hold it fast. Disconnect the spark plug wires so there's no fire going to the spark plugs in such a manner as to not allow the motor to start under any circumstances. Turn the ignition key..... so the crank turns the wrench/ratchet but the wrench/ratchet doesn't move because it's wedged fast and.... BANG... works like magic to break the bolt free. Works every time for me, never seen it fail. WARNING.... DANGEROUS DIY METHOD NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN OR FAINT OF HEART. ONLY FOR THE BRAVE AND FEARLESS WRENCH BENDER.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts