Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While driving through a serious torrential rainstorm last night (this IS Florida, after all), I started noticing a hot/melting rubber/burning smell, and the BATT and BRAKE lights came on whenever the A/C compressor was engaged. I figured that the belt was slipping.

Today, I go check and the belt seems tight, but the rubber on the crank pulley looked ... in dunno, it looked funny. Like there was a darker line around near the outer pulley. I guessed that it might have slipped. I marked the crank pulley and cranked it up, and with the A/C on, I could see it slipping. So yep, the crank pulley is toast.

At the moment, the bank account is empty (still trying to find a job - anyone in central Florida need an IT manager?), so I can't get a replacement for a while.

Does anyone have any experience with re-bonding these? Is the 3.0L engine internally balanced or is it externally balanced with this [email protected] pulley? I'd like to know what options I have, however crazy.

Thanks.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (A_Null @ Aug 28 2010, 04:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=352600
While driving through a serious torrential rainstorm last night (this IS Florida, after all), I started noticing a hot/melting rubber/burning smell, and the BATT and BRAKE lights came on whenever the A/C compressor was engaged. I figured that the belt was slipping.

Today, I go check and the belt seems tight, but the rubber on the crank pulley looked ... in dunno, it looked funny. Like there was a darker line around near the outer pulley. I guessed that it might have slipped. I marked the crank pulley and cranked it up, and with the A/C on, I could see it slipping. So yep, the crank pulley is toast.

At the moment, the bank account is empty (still trying to find a job - anyone in central Florida need an IT manager?), so I can't get a replacement for a while.

Does anyone have any experience with re-bonding these? Is the 3.0L engine internally balanced or is it externally balanced with this [email protected] pulley? I'd like to know what options I have, however crazy.

Thanks.

Replace the pulley.. Had fella come in with 3.5 that had nerve to complain after he kept driving till the rubber was gone with outer ring sitting there with center spinning..

Had a 2.7 come in with belt tore up, and the outer ring laying out the road somewhere.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replace the pulley.. Had fella come in with 3.5 that had nerve to complain after he kept driving till the rubber was gone with outer ring sitting there with center spinning..

Had a 2.7 come in with belt tore up, and the outer ring laying out the road somewhere.
Yeah, I will. I knew I would ultimately have to anyway.

That's why I haven't done anything with it yet. Autozone wants a couple of hundred bucks for one. Best deal I can find is Rock Auto at $103, but I can't get that yet. I have to find a source of billable hours to try to make some money first. Heck, even if it weren't too late Saturday and the salvage yards were open and I could actually locate a used one, I probably couldn't buy it just now. :(

I do know that the rubber in some pulleys are just pressed/vulcanized in place. Really high end or racing units have the rubber injected at extremely high pressures and vulcanized, but cheap ones can have the outer ring just be pressed on. I actually considered looking for some high strength elastomeric glue for it as an emergency fix, but I'm pretty much giving up on that, too.

I expect that superglues are too brittle to withstand the shear load, and there isn't much else that will bond rubber and metal at this kind of temp / load / vibration. 3M has some stuff that maybe, possibly, might could work, but probably not for long. I was hoping that there was someone braver than me that had found something that worked well.

Anyway, I went out to take another look before I put the wheel back on and dropped it off the stands, and I can see where the power steering belt has rubbed on it, so the outer pulley is sliding in and out. I can grab it with thumb and fingers on either side and move it in a push-pull/in and out motion, so it's really bad.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I landed a pulley from about 60 miles away for $35. The nearby lots wanted $100+, so this worked out well. My daughter's boyfriend actually picked it up for me - nice guy.

Got the rust all brushed off, changed 'em out, all is good. Another fine job well done.

Here's hoping it holds up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts