Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, 2002 My friend's 2.7L sante fe crankshaft position sensor went bad and I went to replace it. Removed bolt, it was stuck fast, tried to pry out and it broke off leaving the last 1/2 inch stuck in block. Tried drilling a hole in it and using a screw to get it out but no luck. Afraid to keep drilling that I might damage something behind it. Any ideas on how to get it out?
Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Hello all, 2002 My friend's 2.7L sante fe crankshaft position sensor went bad and I went to replace it. Removed bolt, it was stuck fast, tried to pry out and it broke off leaving the last 1/2 inch stuck in block. Tried drilling a hole in it and using a screw to get it out but no luck. Afraid to keep drilling that I might damage something behind it. Any ideas on how to get it out?
Thanks for the help.
Several people here have punched the leftover CPS part into the engine. I believe at least two have removed the oil pan to retrieve it, but I know that one member just left it in the bottom of the pan with no reported ill effects. I don't remember anyone able to get it out the front once it had become stuck. Mine came right out, but a lot have reported trouble getting it out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine got stuck and broke the same way. I pushed it through the block then dropped the oil pan to retrieve it. After looking at the oil pickup tube though I suspect you could leave it in there with no ill effects.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Mine fell into the oil pan, and I never bothered to extract it. Never had a problem. I think I was seeing red at that point from trying to get that **** sensor out, I just gave up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It worked. It didn't fall in right away. It had not broken clean across, there was a 'tab' on one side (kind of looked like this II_ ) that I think kept of from falling in. I used a screwdriver to try to pry the tab off. It snapped off and there is a magnet at the end of the sensor that stuck to the end of the screwdriver and allowed me to pull most, if not all of the sensor out of the block. Put new sensor in and hooked it up and vehicle is running fine again.

Thanks again everyone for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How far apart did you have to take things to be able to do that? Mine just broke while trying to get it out, by prying like you did, and I was working from the bottom with just one starter wire removed to see better.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Seems like you could clean the surface and glue it to a piece of plastic or wood and pull it out.

Is the sensor behind the gear on the crank? From this view of the front of the engine it's not intuitively obvious...or is it attached to the oil pan?

Bruce

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Seems like you could clean the surface and glue it to a piece of plastic or wood and pull it out.

Is the sensor behind the gear on the crank? From this view of the front of the engine it's not intuitively obvious...or is it attached to the oil pan?

Bruce
If you have a 2.7, you need to pull your starter shield to see the CPS. You will barely be able to see it by looking beside the oil filter and looking a little behind and up from the starter. I pulled mine out without removing the starter, others have removed the starter to get a little more room.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Sonata 2.7L got CKP today.. real easy with wide open work space when frame and exhaust removed

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts