Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Nope, carefully hook it with flat blade screwdriver and roll it out,,,,, dont get crazy and scratch bore of cover where OD of seal resides.. carefully install new seal and carry on.. wipe nose of crank pulley with Scotch Brite pad to remove old cheese off nose that pass through seal.. or we might could have leak..

Why we after front seal,, not generally a leak item for most part

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got a ton of miles on the car. Over 400k. Oil is all over the front cover. Just replaced the valve cover gasket with new sealant where manual said to put it. Didn't help. Replaced oil control valve on back side of engine. Didn't help either. Can't see any other place it might be coming from. Thought I would try this.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
I got a ton of miles on the car. Over 400k. Oil is all over the front cover. Just replaced the valve cover gasket with new sealant where manual said to put it. Didn't help. Replaced oil control valve on back side of engine. Didn't help either. Can't see any other place it might be coming from. Thought I would try this.
Reseal front cover,, remove cam cover, remove oil pan, remove front chain cover,, carefully clean the surfaces so as to not scratch / gouge / remove any material from machined surfaces,,, wipe with non-residue solvent, apply new goo, and re-assemble and use torque wrench.. put cover on first, then oil pan, and cam cover,, leave sit for a day before adding oil and starting..

while apart,, might consider new chain, tensioner, and rails

Everybody seem to think common leak for the 2.4 seems to be oil pan,, but I see (trained eye) the cover leak at lower corner right above oil pan rail.. if it happen right, you can watch oil bubble out.. front cover and block have pocket that not get goo properly, so it eventually leak.. somebody fail to line the goo on cover to seal the works

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reseal front cover,, remove cam cover, remove oil pan, remove front chain cover,, carefully clean the surfaces so as to not scratch / gouge / remove any material from machined surfaces,,, wipe with non-residue solvent, apply new goo, and re-assemble and use torque wrench.. put cover on first, then oil pan, and cam cover,, leave sit for a day before adding oil and starting..

while apart,, might consider new chain, tensioner, and rails

Everybody seem to think common leak for the 2.4 seems to be oil pan,, but I see (trained eye) the cover leak at lower corner right above oil pan rail.. if it happen right, you can watch oil bubble out.. front cover and block have pocket that not get goo properly, so it eventually leak.. somebody fail to line the goo on cover to seal the works
Ooops forgot. The goo you're referring to is that the ultra grey Permatex brand?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Ooops forgot. The goo you're referring to is that the ultra grey Permatex brand?

That what we used to use up to a few yr ago that come on a Hyundai card,, Hyundai has stuff in small caulk gun tubes now, stuff cure more pliable than ULTRA stuff

00232-19061 I think it is, 5oz tube for maybe $10,, I'm not positive though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts