Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2006 Sonata LX cranks and sometimes starts. Usually it doesn't.

I checked the spark plugs for a spark, which it has.

I attached a noid light to the fuel injector, and it flashes.

I sprayed starter fluid into the throttle and the car starts and stays running.

I ran a computer diagnostic on it and it reads this: ""Monitor camshaft position in the full retard condition or during CWT control. Camshaft switching out of 109 to 141 degrees in full retard position, 70 to 140 degrees CRK during CWT control."

I'm not mechanically inclined, but got some advice as to what to do up to now. Now I'm at a complete loss as to what is wrong or what to do next.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,151 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just purchased the car used so I couldn't tell you if that had been replaced recently. Should I replace both of those sensors?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
Should I replace both of those sensors?
NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT!

the worst thing you can do when repairing a car is throw random parts at it. that's how you empty your wallet and still have a broken car.

TEST for the theory and confirm it. start by looking at wiring, breaks happen.

next you'll need a multimeter. what was the exact error code? it'll be a Pxxxx number. refrence that on www.hmaservice.com under the DTC section. it'll give you full troubleshooting and testing instructions - the same ones the dealers use.

if you're not prepared to do this, i recommend taking it to the shop.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The 2006LX was offered with a 4 or 6 cylinder engine, and since both have timing chains im leaning towards a wiring or sensor issue as well. Recently had a vehicle in with multiple drivability issues and upon checking wiring found some oil in ECU at one of the 5 connectors to this modular control unit. No clue how contaminant entered this one connector on ecu that is perfectly sealed in control unit box but it was reaking havoc on vehicle causing multiple drivability issues and was on same link to electronic throttle that was faulted. Vehicle was flashing CEL stalling and running terribly, after checking wires and cleaning ecu connection thoroughly vehicle runs normal and no parts were replaced. So like zero says, do not throw parts at it, it could be something silly and simple.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts