Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 12v and ground at cps connector.
replaced cps and no change.
can hear fuel pump operate when switched to on.
Timing belt looks fine.
No sign of oil coolant mix (head gasket seems to be ok)
Appreciate any help.
2006 Tucson 2 L gas engine.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,725 Posts
Is there a spark at the plugs when you crank it over?

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the fast response Autospark, but at the moment I have no assistant to crank the engine while I check for spark. may have to wait til tomorrow.

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
If there is spark and the fuel pump is running DURING CRANK the next things you'd probably want to check are :
the Injector power supply and control,
the cylinder compressions,
the alignment of the timing marks,
and if all those check out OK your possibly dealing with an exhaust restriction (melted catalytic converter). If that's the case removing the upstream O2 sensor from the exhaust might allow the engine to start.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I checked voltage at an injector with ignition on and I get 12V on one of the pins. Also checked voltage at cam sensor and also get 12V. I found a way to check the fuel pump voltage during crank on a different thread on this forum. The small wire from fuel pump relay to volt meter Atospark posted. Will try that next.
Does the fuel pump operate only momentarily when ignition is switched to on and then comes on again when cranking?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts
Does the fuel pump operate only momentarily when ignition is switched to on and then comes on again when cranking?
Yes, the fuel pump primes the fuel rail for a second or two when key is turned to on position
Then when engine is rotating, it will turn the fuel pump on.
If you have a test light then putting the clip on battery positive
and the light on the signal wire of injectors
Look at the wiring for injectors. Three wires.
Each injector share two of the three. Same colors.
The third is the signal wire for injector pulse for that injector. Different color.
Crank engine and see if the test light flashes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the fuel pump operation explanation. However when I puled the injector plug off I only have two pins.
My shop manual schematic shows a common white wire that goes from each injector to the injector fuse which is fed by the control relay ( where I measured 12V with ignition on) and a different color wire from each injector to the PCM. No third wire. I suppose the ones going to PCM are the signal wire.
Will get a test lamp tomorrow. Ive been doing everything with a volt meter.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Look at the wiring for injectors. Three wires.
Each injector share two of the three. Same colors.
The third is the signal wire for injector pulse for that injector. Different color.
Crank engine and see if the test light flashes.

However when I puled the injector plug off I only have two pins...No third wire.
Yeah, he made a complete mess of that explanation. I've explain how to do that test lots of time on the forum but clearly someone hasn't been paying attention...LOL. He'd have been better off just cutting and pasting my explanation from another thread. Or even better, just post a link to it....Injector Control Test

No. How do I check it?
I wonder why he didn't explain how to test the cam sensor like you asked. I guess he just thought the injector explanation would be easier 😃

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts
Yeah, he made a complete mess of that explanation. I've explain how to do that test lots of time on the forum but clearly someone hasn't been paying attention...LOL. He'd have been better off just cutting and pasting my explanation from another thread. Or even better, just post a link to it....Injector Control Test
Not all cars have three wires. Some have two and use the engine as the ground.
So there would be a power wire to the fuel injectors. And a signal wire. That would make two.
And Autospark is right, I should have left it to him to explain since that he does this work for a living.
It is only a hobby for me. And not a very good one by his remarks.

I wonder why he didn't explain how to test the cam sensor like you asked. I guess he just thought the injector explanation would be easier 😃
Waiting for Autospark to jump in. But, He did not explain it either.
So, instead of helping the OP, he would rather pick on me as usual.
But, don't worry, he'll eventually lead you somewhere....
Remember, he does this for a living.
I am out.

·
Registered
14,725 Posts
Not all cars have three wires. Some have two and use the engine as the ground.
A poor explanation is one thing but now your just making sh1t up :LOL:

avisitor said:
So, instead of helping the OP, he would rather pick on me as usual.
I thought I was helping the OP, and I'm not picking on you. That's just something that's in your head, like the cars with the 3 wire injectors and the 2 wire injectors that ground to the engine. If you stop posting BS I'll stop passing comment on it.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,451 Posts
A poor explanation is one thing but now your just making sh1t up :LOL:
Don't care. Power to injector and signal wire from ECU. Putting test light in parallel to see signal.

I thought I was helping the OP, and I'm not picking on you. That's just something that's in your head, like the cars with the 3 wire injectors and the 2 wire injectors that ground to the engine. If you stop posting BS I'll stop passing comment on it.
Be careful what you wish for.... Will recommend you to others.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I finally got myself a test lamp and checked for pulsing on the injector and it did flash. I also did that cool test of sticking a piece of thin wire on pin 87 of the FP relay and shoving the relay on top and connecting my volt meter to the wire and laying it on the windshield. I got 11.39V when on then it went out and returned while cranking. Next I"ll be removing the O2 sensor to check for exhaust clogging. I would have never guessed that one.

Thanks for all the help.
Albert

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Finally removed the O2 sensor and cranked but nothing happened. Had to remove the radiator fan housing to have space for my 22 mm wrench. The timing marks line up fine and belt looks as good as new. I felt resistance when turning the crankshaft to check the timing marks, but have not got the tool right now to do a compression test.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts