Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I have had an oil leak from my i10. I didn't realise when I bought it from a private seller. My car is now at the garage in pieces. They have tried a new crank shaft seal, but it is still leaking. The garage are going to get a proper hyundai seal tomorrow (they have one in stock, which the garage found weird) but if that doesn't work, the garage said I may have an oval crank shaft and it could be a new engine. My car is only 7 years old, and only done 43000 miles. I have got a new clutch put in because that was playing up too. Has anyone heard of these oil seal/crank shaft issues? is it a common problem and also if fthe crank shaft is oval, surely this would be a manufacturing issue? Any insight would be greatly received. Thanks you

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Front or rear?
Either way there's other things that will leak at the bottom besides the crank seal.

Call a machine shop and talk to them about your engine. They see about everything and can tell you if there's a common problem.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Oval crankshaft! Now I have herd it all. Crankshafts do get a groove where the seal goes but there are sleeves that can fix that. You would have to have a lot of run-out for a new seal to leak. Either they stuffed the new seal fitting it or as above look elsewhere for leaks.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Oval crankshaft! Now I have herd it all.

That's what Bubba says....He's from the Hillbilly fix em up shop. LOL

Crankshafts do get a groove where the seal goes but there are sleeves that can fix that. You would have to have a lot of run-out for a new seal to leak. Either they stuffed the new seal fitting it or as above look elsewhere for leaks

Yep.....I borrowed that from Bubba....

·
Registered
882 Posts
maybe bad PCV valve. Clogged PCV valve cause the pressure build up inside the engine so the oil can leak from everywhere

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
What engine we playing with ???

Hyundai dont have PCV concerns,, not in all my yrs playing with them..

Oval crank,, should have been leak since day 1.. try again.

Mud motor ?? when I replace a seal, I take a Scotchbrith and wipe the surface clean of old baked on crap so it look like new - clean - shiney

Forgot,, which engine we playing with ?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I took my 2010 Sonata in for an oil change and the mechanic said something similar about an oil leak but when I looked at it by sliding under the car there was some oil on the front seal area but nothing dripping. When someone tells me a crankseal is leaking I find it hard to believe when there is no evidence on the ground and no evidence of drips forming on the pan and no oil being blown back from the seal area. I called the local dealer and talked to the shop foreman. He told me that if you have no oil under the engine, no dripping from the front or rear of the pan, or no evidence of blowback behind the engine to tell the mechanic to leave it alone. He also said there should be a bit of oil on the seal and around the crankshaft. If it was dry he would be concerned.
Most of the cars I have owned were leakers when they were brand new, so a few drops are of no concern to me. The only brand new car I owned was a 1996 Impala SS and it never leaked a drop in more than 100,000 miles. A leaking seal that would be of concern is one that leaves a small puddle under the engine. If you check the oil level and you can see it dropping over a few weeks then you might want to think about changing the seal. Seals like this generally don't fail suddenly unless some ******* jams a screwdriver into the seal and ruins it.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
maybe bad PCV valve. Clogged PCV valve cause the pressure build up inside the engine so the oil can leak from everywhere
Either that or the air ride system got routed to the valve cover. Seen that many times. What ya think?

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
I would be asking if there is any warranty still available on the vehicle??
Also, check for any recalls (just for peace of mind)??

I have heard horror stories of people buying seal after seal trying to get the crankshaft seal to stop leaking
No one ever came back to say what the problem was?

I wish you luck and to keep us updated

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,577 Posts
I would be asking if there is any warranty still available on the vehicle??
Also, check for any recalls (just for peace of mind)??

I have heard horror stories of people buying seal after seal trying to get the crankshaft seal to stop leaking
No one ever came back to say what the problem was?

I wish you luck and to keep us updated
I am surprised that no one said that it is not that engine or it is a different car
And that someone hasn't said I am wrong for having heard anything.
Also, that I am leading the OP down the wrong rabbit hole.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
I am surprised that no one said that it is not that engine or it is a different car
And that someone hasn't said I am wrong for having heard anything.
Also, that I am leading the OP down the wrong rabbit hole.
Are you insisting?

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Hello all,
I have had an oil leak from my i10. I didn't realise when I bought it from a private seller. My car is now at the garage in pieces. They have tried a new crank shaft seal, but it is still leaking. The garage are going to get a proper hyundai seal tomorrow (they have one in stock, which the garage found weird) but if that doesn't work, the garage said I may have an oval crank shaft and it could be a new engine. My car is only 7 years old, and only done 43000 miles. I have got a new clutch put in because that was playing up too. Has anyone heard of these oil seal/crank shaft issues? is it a common problem and also if fthe crank shaft is oval, surely this would be a manufacturing issue? Any insight would be greatly received. Thanks you
Have you figured out where the leak is coming from? That's the first thing to know.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Can't imagine how someone would route a positive pressure hose or tube to the valve cover.

That is one of the reasons why after an oil change I check the oil level before I leave the shop.

·
Registered
80 Posts
So far I don't think we have been very helpful to this bloke. Based upon his initial statements, it seems that a front or rear crankshaft seal going bad is or should be unusual unless there is a lot of positive pressure in the engine/oil pan or the engine has too much oil in it.
I sincerely doubt that the crankshaft seal area is out-of-round with 43,000 miles on the clock. If I were you I would have the shop put it all back together and take it to someone who knows Hyundai automobiles or has a very good reputation for honesty.

·
Banned
7,039 Posts
Can't imagine how someone would route a positive pressure hose or tube to the valve cover.

That is one of the reasons why after an oil change I check the oil level before I leave the shop.
I think you are referring to my reply....was being absurd for absurdities sake as a response to an idiotic reply.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I meant to include that I have seen wear at the crankshaft front seal surface but only where the original seal was made from felt and there was dust/dirt embedded in the felt material. This is the situation where you use a stainless steel sleeve to restore the outside diameter of the seal surface. I had this experience with a 1955 Studebaker V-8 engine with an estimated 200,000 miles on it; estimated because the odometer was broken. Rear main seals in these engines were made from a woven material with a leather core. Seals in engines of this vintage leaked so it was not uncommon to find drips under your new car. Back then it was an accepted thing with any vehicle.

GRCAuto, I was referring to your post. I was pointing out that I do not trust any shop because of all the horror stories I have heard. When I worked in a shop in the early 1970s I never forgot to put in the oil probably because I always double checked my work. There is always the potential for not putting oil in the engine after an oil change. I'd rather catch it before driving off and ruining an engine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello all,
my I 10 2009 97,000 has a rear main oil leak. I replaced it and its still leaking

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Sonata supposedly has an oil leak at the front crankshaft seal and yet there is no oil on the ground nor is there any visible oil on the surrounding areas of the oil pan or engine. In fact my engine and surrounding areas are quite clean and dry. When I ask for a picture or for the mechanics to point out the leak, the area they show me has no oil on it. If they cannot demonstrate that there is oil leaking then they are simply looking to create work and a drain on your pocket.

If some mechanic is telling you that the seal surface is egg shaped then force them to measure it with a micrometer at six positions around the seal surface. I bet that they will not find anything wrong with the seal surface. If there is evidence of a non-concentric surface then it was like that when the car was built and you need to go after Hyundai. You also have the option of bringing in a third party to measure it and then provide evidence when you sue the shop for trying to fuck you over or when you sue Hyundai.

There is no way a crankshaft sear surface goes bad in that short of a period of time. But time is no the determination, mileage is because the surface can only be damaged when it is running. The surface was not hardened properly or wasn't machined correctly. These are the only contributing factors that can cause a seal surface to become out-of-round.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Seals do go hard with time and can make a groove in the surface it runs on. They make sleeves to push over the crank to restore the surface. This site has a good explanation.
From my experience a new seal may still leak but after time the leak may stop as the seal wears to match the shaft surface.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Seals do go hard with time and can make a groove in the surface it runs on. They make sleeves to push over the crank to restore the surface. This site has a good explanation.
From my experience a new seal may still leak but after time the leak may stop as the seal wears to match the shaft surface.
I have used the sleeves that you are talking about but on a steering king pin to restore the sealing surface and on a Studebaker front crankshaft seal when installing a viton replacement for a felt seal. I would not expect to find damage to the seal surface at 43,000 miles nor would I expect for find an out-of-round seal diameter at the same number of miles or kilometers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts