Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I have a 2001 Santa Fe, 4 cylinder, 2 wheel drive, manual tranny. Check engine light came on and car died. The next day it started, but light still on. Hooking it up to a scanner resulted in 2 codes. One for crank position sensor, one for oxygen sensor. The oxygen sensor isn't a problem. But the crank sensor seems to be. The guy at the auto parts store said there are actually 2 sensors. One for crank position and one for misfire. He said either could be throwing the crank position sensor code. That doesn't sound right to me, but since both are rather pricey sensors, I figured I'd do some research before I just flipped a coin to see which sensor to buy or bought both just to cover my rear. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know. I didn't pull them, the guy at the auto parts store did. He just said one code was for the crank position sensor and one was for the oxygen sensor. I believe he said it was crank sensor "A" and oxygen sensor 1 on bank 1. But his computer didn't tell him which crank position sensor was bad.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
There's only one "crank sensor". Have the codes read again and report them back here. Visit another Autozone or something. Your problem description does not make sense.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 18 2010, 06:13 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=342625
There's only one "crank sensor". Have the codes read again and report them back here. Visit another Autozone or something. Your problem description does not make sense.

I'll see what I can do. Problem is, the car died on the way back from the auto parts store and it's still in a parking lot halfway between here and there. It will restart now that it's sat for a bit, but I don't know how far I can drive it. I might just have to buy a code scanner.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Replace the crank position sensor (hope you extremely handy with fun jobs)..

You'll want to replace the timing belt, tensioner, balance shaft belt, (2) drive belts, and possibly the upper cover if it not havethe bump inside to aid prevention of timing belt jumping the exhaust cam cog.

Then you need to know how to set the oil pump shaft when installing timing belt so as to not have goofy vibration (I am out of state as I write this from a Hampton Motel, or I would provide link to pictoral of how to set the timing on all the cogs)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Jul 19 2010, 05:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343019
Replace the crank position sensor (hope you extremely handy with fun jobs)..

You'll want to replace the timing belt, tensioner, balance shaft belt, (2) drive belts, and possibly the upper cover if it not havethe bump inside to aid prevention of timing belt jumping the exhaust cam cog.

Then you need to know how to set the oil pump shaft when installing timing belt so as to not have goofy vibration (I am out of state as I write this from a Hampton Motel, or I would provide link to pictoral of how to set the timing on all the cogs)

Cool thanks, I'll start ordering parts. When you get back in state, if you could send me that link, it sounds like it would be a big help. As for being handy with fun jobs, I should be ok. I made my living as a motorcycle mechanic for quite a few years. And still tinker quite a bit with cars, bikes and boats. Ducati work should have me prepared for pretty much anything the Santa Fe can throw at me. ;-) But thanks for the heads up!

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Ordering parts ??

Local well prepared Hyundai dealer should have everything there on the shelf... I heard some rumor we have some $400,000+ of invenory on hand.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sbr711, are you by any chance back at home and can send me that link to the pictorial? I think I'm going to put the Hyundai together this weekend.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I assume I'll pay lots more if I buy the parts from a dealer? I was going to get them from NAPA. So I need 4 belts, total, plus my CPS, and a tensioner? Will the kid behind the counter know what I'm talking about when I tell him drive belts etc?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (nitsuj @ Aug 6 2010, 06:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347666
I assume I'll pay lots more if I buy the parts from a dealer? I was going to get them from NAPA. So I need 4 belts, total, plus my CPS, and a tensioner? Will the kid behind the counter know what I'm talking about when I tell him drive belts etc?
Depends on how much parts fella marks up his parts, but they will ne on the shelf, no goofing with some on-line vendor and waiting a week for common carrier to arrive only to have freight damaged parts, so you out of business for another week while you wait for replacement, claims and other stuff.. Local Hyunda or Kia dealer should have everything on shelf, same day service. :thumbsup:

You need at minimum :

Timing belt

Alternator belt

A/C - P/S belt

Balance shaft belt

Tensioner --> always replace the 2.4 tensioner, been there

Crank position sensor (correct OBD-II is CKP)

Replace the rotor/blade (how ever you want to refer to it)

Upper cover if it not have the bump

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (sbr711 @ Aug 6 2010, 06:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347690
Depends on how much parts fella marks up his parts, but they will ne on the shelf, no goofing with some on-line vendor and waiting a week for common carrier to arrive only to have freight damaged parts, so you out of business for another week while you wait for replacement, claims and other stuff.. Local Hyunda or Kia dealer should have everything on shelf, same day service. :thumbsup:

You need at minimum :

Timing belt

Alternator belt

A/C - P/S belt

Balance shaft belt

Tensioner --> always replace the 2.4 tensioner, been there

Crank position sensor (correct OBD-II is CKP)

Replace the rotor/blade (how ever you want to refer to it)

Upper cover if it not have the bump

I got all my parts, except for the "rotor/blade". What are you referring to?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (nitsuj @ Aug 7 2010, 10:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347877
I got all my parts, except for the "rotor/blade". What are you referring to?
See that nice new shiny silver stamped sheet metal plate with 2 ears that pass through the crank position sensor and has timing mark for crank (timing mark #10 in the link posted above) ...

Hopefully you can see past all the glare from the camera flash

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is there any trick to timing it I should know about? Once I removed the tensioner, all the pulleys moved a bit. And The crank moved a little past it's mark when I was in there doing everything else. Just spin the crank the rest of the way around to line up the mark then line up all the other pulley's and I'm good right?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
One more question: How critical is it that I replace the timing belt tensioner? Here's my situation: Among all the other stuff I ordered, I ordered a "timing belt component kit". The parts guy told me that kit would contain a new tensioner. Come to find out, that kit does not include the tensioner. So now it's Sunday, I need to get this car done today and I don't have the tensioner and no one has it in stock. And my work schedule this week won't permit me to finish the car until next weekend. Are chances pretty good the old tensioner will last another 40,000 miles? (After seeing the condition of the belt, there is no way I'm going to wait 60,000 miles to do the belt again.) BTW, this Santa Fe has 59,800 miles on it, this is the first timing belt replacement so I know this tensioner hasn't been reused in the past.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (nitsuj @ Aug 8 2010, 09:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347943
Is there any trick to timing it I should know about? Once I removed the tensioner, all the pulleys moved a bit. And The crank moved a little past it's mark when I was in there doing everything else. Just spin the crank the rest of the way around to line up the mark then line up all the other pulley's and I'm good right?
Use the pics at the link as your guide to align marks, pay particular attention the the oil pump shaft, or you WILL have vibration..

DO NOT TURN ANYTHING on around with out timing belt attached. Just simply re-align the mark right there, but not all the way around..

QUOTE (nitsuj @ Aug 8 2010, 10:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=347947
One more question: How critical is it that I replace the timing belt tensioner?
We will not re-use a 4 cylinder tensioner at our our place, and I quit trying to re-use 1 after the thing jumped time a couple times and I said somebody is paying for a tensioner... this back when I started doing Hyudai back in 2003.. Try it if want, but you might have belt jump, or it could be fine..

·
Registered
12 Posts
You mention that tensioner replacement is a must for the 2.4, but how about for the 3.5? I tested mine (120k miles on car) and I could only compress it in a large vice. It also has no visible leaks as well. Am I tempting fate by not replacing it? It seems fine. I don't know if its the original, or if this was replaced at my 60k change the dealer did.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts