Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I have a '07 Tucson that has been sitting for a couple weeks. The vehicle cranks but no start. Battery is charged. OBD2 scanner reports no codes ( no failed comms). Just looking for suggestions as to what I could check.

Thank you

Registered
Try a little starting fluid, it will help figure if it is spark or fuel. What engine and miles?
If your tach work doesn't while cranking, and there is no joy with the starting fluid, maybe a crank sensor

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
It was sitting for about 3 weeks. Had it running fine before that. When I turn the key to on, I hear a whirring. Would that be fuel pump pressurizing lines? Engine is 2.7L with a ton of miles (about 200,000km). Ran perfectly fine a couple weeks ago though.

Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
There is no immobilizer symbol lit up
That's probably why it wont start then. The immobiliser light should come on along with the other warning lights when the ignition is first switched on. The symbol is a car with a key inside...

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. Thanks for getting back to me. I unfortunately do not understand what it means if the immobilizer light does not light up with the other symbols when the key is in on position. Could you help me a bit more?

Registered
Could you help me a bit more?
Sure.

Hyundai models built for the Canadian market have a transponder key immobiliser. The light not coming on usually means the engine ECU can't read the transponder code from the ignition key, so it will not authorise engine start.

There is a known issue with the ring antenna (the key reading coil around the ignition lock) on Hyundai/Kia immobilisers. There is a connector between the antenna and the SMARTRA module (aka key signal amplifier) that gets oxidised/corroded, creating a high resistance in the circuit that prevents the very low voltage key signal from passing to the SMARTRA. What often cures the problem is simply cutting the ring antenna wires on either side of the connector and soldering the wires together. Removing the connector removes the high resistance which allows the low voltage signals to pass again, which in turn allows the engine to start.

I took some photos the last time I had to do this repair that will hopefully help you understand what I'm talking about....

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately that didn't fix the problem. I think it's the fuel pump. I took out the bolts and lifted the back seat. I put my ear right next to the fuel pump then had someone turn the key to on. No sound at all. There is a bit of noise from the front of the vehicle but nothing from the pump at all.

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I put in a used but working fuel pump. No change. Vehicle still will not start. Are there any more suggestions as to what might be going on?

Registered
Have you checked to see if the spark plugs are sparking when you crank it over?
It might be worth taking a look at the crank position sensor too, since there are known problems with that sensor on the 2.7 engine caused by heat from the exhaust...

Registered
Discussion Starter #14
For this year of Tucson would a failed crank sensor prevent spark and fuel delivery?

I pulled a plug and held it against the block. Cranked engine and did not see spark.
I pulled fuel pump and connected it with leads to the battery. Pump works. Re-installed in vehicle. I measured 12VDC at the fuel pump connector but I am not sure if this is priming power or crank power. Does anyone perhaps have a wiring diagram showing the fuel pump connector, maybe I can backprobe it to confirm proper power at pump when cranking.
Just to be certain I disconnected fuel line before rails and no fuel came out when cranking engine.

Seems weird that there is no spark and fuel delivery even though I measure power at the fuel pump.

Registered
For this year of Tucson would a failed crank sensor prevent spark and fuel delivery?
Yes.

canicon said:
Seems weird that there is no spark and fuel delivery even though I measure power at the fuel pump.
You have perhaps measured voltage on the fuel gauge signal wire. The pump supply wire would only have 12V for a couple of seconds when the ignition is first switched on. And if the crank sensor was working properly you'd get approx 10V during crank.

canicon said:
Does anyone perhaps have a wiring diagram showing the fuel pump connector
Attached below.
According to the diagram the pump supply is a red wire on terminal 3. The connector is viewed from the terminal (pump) side in the diagram...

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
This is getting worse. A friend of a friend came over with a $10,000 scan tool (he's an auto technician at a shop here in town). The scanner wouldn't communicate with the engine but did communicate with transmission, airbags, tire pressure and a few other systems. Any idea what is going on with this vehicle??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts