Hyundai Forums banner

161 - 165 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Exactly. That is the root cause of your problem, not the broken connector on the coil.
Personally, on an older car like yours, I would just remove the connector all together. Cut the connector from the harness and from the original coil and either solder the wires directly together or use crimp on terminals. The original coil isn't faulty, so why bother replacing it.
I took your advice and removed the male and female plastic housings but kept the pins and sockets attached to their wires. Actually the male plastic housing was so brittle and heat damaged that it fell apart in my hands before I could get a picture. I slipped some heat shrink tubing over the female ends, pushed it back, inserted each pin into its socket, soldered the connections together and then pulled the heat shrinks over each of the connections. The picture is the end result. This is the 3rd try (1st was CKS, 2nd was fuel pump) so hopefully this nails it. Just have to get up my nerve to drive around the block a few times but it does start reliability now and tugging on the new connections doesn't affect anything. Thanks for all the help (once again). I feel like we are now all family:)

·
Registered
12,471 Posts
hopefully this nails it.....it does start reliability now and tugging on the new connections doesn't affect anything.
Sounds like that has nailed it. This was a tricky fault to track down so well done for sticking with it until you finally got to the bottom of it. Hopefully you get to enjoy some trouble free motoring for a while now.

Oh, and nice work on that harness repair, by the way.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Now I see why it wouldn't run a just 2 cylinders. The 3 wires are for 2 coils so it all makes sense now. Be brave and go for that well deserved drive.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #165 (Edited)
Sounds like that has nailed it.
Actually you nailed it. I just followed instructions!

Be brave and go for that well deserved drive.
Will do! I'll go up and down the hill from my drive way a few times first. In summary:
New CKS ---------- $45 (didn't need)
New air filter ------ $10 (needed regardless)
New fuel filter -----$10 (probably needed - old one had >55K miles)
New fuel pump ----$50 (didn't need - but sure runs nice and quiet)
New coil ---------------- $45 (didn't' need - will return)
Coil return postage: $8
Harness repair ----- $0 (had everything)
Total cost: ------- $123

On to the next adventure ...

161 - 165 of 165 Posts