Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody experienced a cracking sound when turning and braking at the same time..say like when pulling into a parking space? Seems to go away in wet weather. Had appointment at dealer (on wet day) and they checked suspension and brakes all ok. Couldn't reproduce the sound during test drive with them, maybe cause of the snow. At least I had them fix my head gasket oil leak so it wasn't a complete waste of time.

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
hmaservice.com is a very useful website for stuff like this. Have a look at the attached technical service bulletin... it sounds similar to what you describe. Don't worry if it applies to a different model year.... these things can sometimes still occur on later models.

Also check for defective stabilizer links. Find the long crooked bar which runs under the transmission from one front wheel to the other, and feel the end joints while somebody rocks the vehicle from side to side. If they're bad you will feel a clunk in the palm of your hand. It's a common issue with the Santa Fe, according to my mechanic as he replaced one of mine under warranty.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. They had already filed down my stops like in the TSB. Tried the test and sound wasn't there.

Tried holding links and rocking vehicle side to side and no sound either.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I didn't know about this TSB and mine is one of the VIN codes affected (and, yes, it does make the noise, particularly when I back up with the wheel fully turned!).

How soft is the metal? Was it tough to grind down? (I plan on fixing it this weekend!)

Thanks! (and Thanks, Don, for the info on the TSB!)

·
Registered
30 Posts
My VIN is on that bulletin. So how does the sound come up? Is it a single clunk that occurs when the steering wheel hits its limit or is it a consistent sound that occurs while the car is moving?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The cracking sound occurs as I'm turning the wheel, but only when the brakes are applied and I'm rolling. As for the TSB, they filed down the stops the first time I complained about the noise, but it did not fix it. If your vehicle is still under waranty and you've got the same problem described in the TSB, I'd definitely have Hyundai do it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought my new 201 SF a couple of weeks ago and after a couple of days I noticed the crack sound every time I turned left even at times without pushing the brake, I took it to the dealership this afternoon and they diagnosed that the steering rack should be replaced :w00t:

A brand new vehicle with only 750Kms and I am already waiting to replace my steering rack. What an amazing new car experience!

The parts are on order already and I'll be waiting another week or so until they fix it.

·
Registered
99 Posts
QUOTE (rsanto @ Apr 28 2010, 11:43 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=317615
Has anybody experienced a cracking sound when turning and braking at the same time..say like when pulling into a parking space? Seems to go away in wet weather. Had appointment at dealer (on wet day) and they checked suspension and brakes all ok. Couldn't reproduce the sound during test drive with them, maybe cause of the snow. At least I had them fix my head gasket oil leak so it wasn't a complete waste of time.
I'm currently experiencing this exact problem with mine. You've described the noise and conditions exactly. Mine makes a creaking/popping/cracking sound while making a sharp, low-speed turn with your foot on the brakes. They've ground off the stop and replaced the front SB endlinks on mine but it's still there. The only thing they ever did which seemed to help slightly was when they "lubed the brakes", as they stated it - I think they must have been talking about the floating calipers but not sure since the service advisor didn't seem really sure herself. I think lubing the calipers is something that Hyundai recommends periodically and I've always had it done as a matter of regular maintenance but it only seems to help for a week or two and then the noise comes right back.

Mine only seems to make the noise when the temperature goes above 50F - probably why they couldn't reproduce it for you if you had snow on the ground.

I've been dealing with this issue for almost a year now with no resolution. I was hoping someone on this forum might have some luck and post the solution.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts