Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2012 Hyundai Sonata (2.4 Limited). The orange clip that secures the fuel hose to the high pressure fuel pump cracked. However, the hose itself is fully intact.

I understand there's no way to purchase the clip separately and I have to buy the whole hose (part: 31310-3q900). But can I separate the clip from the new hose and install it on mine without having to change the whole fuel line?

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
All I can say is, "not recommended"...high-pressure fuel is not a good thing on a hot engine!

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
There are lawsuits ongoing regarding this item (damaged by reuse) causing fires...cobble at your own risk.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
2,422 Posts
I would call the dealer ,regardless of the time or mileage it may be a warranty covered repair because of the fires that they have had.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So multiple dealerships helped me track the part down. It costed $120 and consisted of the WHOLE fuel line. Why Hyundai didn't design just the simple clip for this, I dunno.

Fortunately, the Hyundai dealership was able to just install the top, flexible portion of the fuel line where it had a redesigned clamp area where contact is made with the fuel pump. All of this costed nearly $500 though which is really silly to me.

I wonder if it's worth escalating to Hyundai corporate. Surely they redesigned the clip due to common failures?

·
Registered
63 Posts
This is now a recall! NHTSA just released info about this exact issue as being covered as a safety recall (not surprisingly). NHTSA recall ID # 20V121. See attached.

Make sure to keep all your receipts and document the work performed with pictures. At the very least, you should be able to get your money back since this is now a recall.

Ha, this is laughable: "Based on the results of this analysis, along with the lack of actual vehicle fires associated with the fuel feed line leak, HMA closed its active investigation but maintained monitoring of field information for any reports that might indicate a more severe condition." You would think all the articles, YouTube videos and posts of Sonatas suddenly catching on fire would contradict this factually false statement.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
So they fixed it but it looks nothing like it did before. Does this look right or like a poorly rigged way?
I would insist it be done correctly (obviously cobbled) according to the gov't mandate.

The recall has a lot to do with work that looks just like your car, and has failed causing a catastrophic fire!

·
Registered
469 Posts
This is now a recall! NHTSA just released info about this exact issue as being covered as a safety recall (not surprisingly). NHTSA recall ID # 20V121. See attached.

Make sure to keep all your receipts and document the work performed with pictures. At the very least, you should be able to get your money back since this is now a recall.

Ha, this is laughable: "Based on the results of this analysis, along with the lack of actual vehicle fires associated with the fuel feed line leak, HMA closed its active investigation but maintained monitoring of field information for any reports that might indicate a more severe condition." You would think all the articles, YouTube videos and posts of Sonatas suddenly catching on fire would contradict this factually false statement.
I just got the email and it says 2013-2014 Hyundai Sonata but my vehicle doesn't come up when I do a search on the site so I'm good? It was manufactured in December of 2013.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hg3300, I wouldn't say you're in the clear yet, especially since you got an email. I got an email from NHTSA, but a search of my VIN on NHTSA doesnt show any unrepaired recalls, too.

This one is probably too fresh for the NHTSA database to accurately reflect all the specific VINs covered by this recall. Per the attachments, Hyundai corporate hasn't come up with a fix yet. Hyundai should be sending out letters soon to affected owners.

I would be more vigilant on monitoring any fuel issues until we get more details.

·
Registered
469 Posts
hg3300, I wouldn't say you're in the clear yet, especially since you got an email. I got an email from NHTSA, but a search of my VIN on NHTSA doesnt show any unrepaired recalls, too.

This one is probably too fresh for the NHTSA database to accurately reflect all the specific VINs covered by this recall. Per the attachments, Hyundai corporate hasn't come up with a fix yet. Hyundai should be sending out letters soon to affected owners.

I would be more vigilant on monitoring any fuel issues until we get more details.

Update: my car is affected, it showed up on the site, but when can I expect a repair to be available?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.