Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone had any luck repairing a cracked cast iron exhaust manifold on these 2.4's? ours is cracked in the middle of the Y, pretty long crack, and thats the exhaust leak i can hear, thought it would be a gasket till i took the heat shield off...online searching says some shops can weld it with good results, permatex makes a hi temp metal repair specifically listed to repair exhaust manifolds...but is it going to work? is this a known problem like on some of the honda civics? i read a recall on some other hyundais but not the SF.....

suggestions?

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Replace the manifold

·
Registered
107 Posts
I am a welder and can tell you that when welding cast iron you are soldering more than welding , we have to use nickel rods because cast has very little steel content, thus when exposed to cold to hot cycles the two different metals expand at different rates insuring that a crack will form sooner or later. I cannot comment on bonding agents because I never tried these but think the best thing to do is get a new manifold, it is not just for noise but also the fumes that might slowly be seeping in the cabin from the vent intake.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts