Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I notice that the exterior, right front door handle of my Elantra has developed a top-to-bottom vertical crack, about half an inch back of the tip (hinge end). :eek::mad:

I discovered it too late to take to the dealership today, alas; I'll have to go in first thing Monday morning. At first I thought it was some sort of scratch, until I saw that it appeared to go clear through the handle, and the top part of the crack is wide enough to get my fingernail into. No signs of impact or other damage. :confused:

The core of the handle - whatever it's made of - seems to be solid; a couple of experimental tugs on the handle yielded no wiggling or abnormal movement. Still, I won't want to open the door too much until I get the handle replaced. It should be covered under warranty, since I've only got two years and 31K miles on my Elantra.

Anyone else experienced a similar problem?

·
22,793 Posts
I did on Ingrid. Wasn't a big deal so I didn't make a fuss over it. Mine was driver's side. Same exact location but on the underside, not top to bottom. Noticed it while washing/waxing. Covered under warranty. Had to wait for a week for ordered replacement to arrive and painting. Took my technician "maybe" 5 minutes to change it out. No more problems. Looks fantastic.

Just take it in and start the ball rolling on the replacement. You won't lose any time waiting for the thing to be installed. The dealer's coffee doesn't even have time to cool down enough to sip before you're ready to leave.

I checked the other 3 and they're fine. But I'm watching! :wink2:

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
The core of the handle - whatever it's made of - seems to be solid; a couple of experimental tugs on the handle yielded no wiggling or abnormal movement.
Same exact location........Took my technician "maybe" 5 minutes to change it out. No more problems.
Actually, the Elantra handles seem flimsy. Most flex & plastic creaking is from the drivers door, ever since new. The other handles act the same way, tho to a slightly lesser extent. My wife's 2008 Accent door handles, tho not strong, seem stronger & not as prone to flexing as the Elantra. Even the door handle on my ultra light weight & pared down 1988 Ford Festiva seems more solid. Hyundia's penchant for weight saving went too far. Funny they would do such on the door handle, which people touch & handle a lot during the life of the car.

·
22,793 Posts
Funny they would do such on the door handle, which people touch & handle a lot during the life of the car.
Where's that robot that tests the door opening/closing 100,000 times so engineers can evaluate the design integrity? Maybe it was on vacation that week? But door seems fine. It was the plastic handle cover that developed the crack.

Tech showed me the R/R trick. Open the door. In the latching area of the door you'll see a black rubber plug about the size of a nickel. Pop it out and remove the 10mm bolt. Careful not to drop that bolt down inside the door. Handle unit slides right out with slight lifting. Reversal just as easy. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Tech showed me the R/R trick. Open the door. In the latching area of the door you'll see a black rubber plug about the size of a nickel. Pop it out and remove the 10mm bolt. Careful not to drop that bolt down inside the door. Handle unit slides right out with slight lifting. Reversal just as easy. :thumbsup:
You should post that in the tips and tricks thread Rich!:D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Where's that robot that tests the door opening/closing 100,000 times so engineers can evaluate the design integrity? Maybe it was on vacation that week? But door seems fine. It was the plastic handle cover that developed the crack.

Something to keep in mind, should I decide to upgrade to the chrome door handles (sort of on the fence about that; having not seen them on a black Elantra like mine, I'm unsure whether they'd look classy or just gaudy). But isn't there also a power lock harness inside the door that has to be unplugged?

·
22,793 Posts
Thanks for the head's up! Done. Hopefully, this little ditty will help someone down the road.

Misjudged the size (brain fart). More like "between" a quarter and a half-dollar instead of a nickel. I guess due to inflation and debt ceiling. Pic attached.

Attachments

·
22,793 Posts
Something to keep in mind, should I decide to upgrade to the chrome door handles (sort of on the fence about that; having not seen them on a black Elantra like mine, I'm unsure whether they'd look classy or just gaudy). But isn't there also a power lock harness inside the door that has to be unplugged?
If there is (and there may be and probably is) he didn't mention it. I can't imagine it would be anything stressful to just unsnap it from the connector and reattach to the new handle.

BTW, you'll notice the nicely waxed interior of the door frame? I know, OCD strikes again.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Thanks for the head's up! Done. Hopefully, this little ditty will help someone down the road.

Misjudged the size (brain fart). More like "between" a quarter and a half-dollar instead of a nickel. I guess due to inflation and debt ceiling. Pic attached.

??

I was expecting a pic of a cracked door handle...

·
22,793 Posts
Oh, sorry. That bad boy was shipped back to Hyundai. It was a "hairline crack," on the bottom side towards the front of the car, about 1/2-3/4" from the tip of the handle (on the hinged side).

If I wasn't so anal about maintaining Ingrid's pristine status, I may not have noticed it developing. I'm guessing "stress" from opening the driver's door. Other door handles look perfect. But I'm watching them.

As far as chrome handles on a black car, it would look great, IMO. Of course, I am visualizing chrome wheels to accentuate them. I believe I've seen other cars (Camry, etc?) with this chrome touch. Spend the next few days looking at cars on the streets/highways to form an opinion. Someone on here did their E. You might search that out. There was a "How To" in that thread.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So I ran over to the dealership this morning. The service manager was "Huh. How the heck did that happen?" :confused: So that's two of us who are stumped...

They're talking about three to five days for delivery of a replacement door handle, as they didn't have one in stock. I think he said it would arrive prepainted, so all they'll have to do is install it.

The elderly gentleman ahead of me in line had a very well preserved older Sonata, at least ten years old, in for an oil change. Save for a bit of upholstery wear, it looked showroom new.

·
22,793 Posts
The elderly gentleman ahead of me in line had a very well preserved older Sonata, at least ten years old, in for an oil change. Save for a bit of upholstery wear, it looked showroom new.
This is EXACTLY the condition I project Ingrid to be in during her later years. Once I become elderly, that is! Takes a lot of "staying on top of things," but worth it, IMO. :grin:

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, an update: Last Friday the dealership left a message on my phone that the new handle had been painted and was ready for installation. I called them early Saturday morning, and they told me I could bring it in that day and get it installed. Ten minutes in and out, tops.

Well...

...it took them an hour and a half, before they figured out they'd been sent the wrong part. Sigh.

*facepalm* :rolleyes:

Well, I guess they'll have a spare door handle for somebody else who needs one, as long as that other car is likewise painted Black Noir Pearl. In the meantime, they've re-ordered a handle for mine.

The good news is that even with cooling my heels at the dealership for much of the morning, I still made it home in time for the kickoff of the Mizzou game, and got to enjoy our stomping (chomping?) of the Florida Gators. So at least I have that going for me...:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts