Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just as the title says, I've got a 2014 Elantra and whenever I turn right, I hear a crack or popping noise coming from the front end. It happens when the steering wheel is turned 1/8 to 1/4 to the right. It's only one crack/pop that I hear - not a succession of noises. I brought the car in to the dealership and they said I needed a new steering rack / gear, so they replaced that and the suspension doesn't feel as clunky anymore, but the noise is still present. They checked everything else but couldn't find any problems.

I checked underneath the car this morning to see if I could find anything loose, but everything seemed tight - tie rod ends, axle, CV joint, ball joints, struts, etc. I took both wheel off and checked around and again couldn't find anything amiss. I cleaned the glove box and other storage areas of any items thinking something could be rolling around, but again all looks good.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced similar problems. It's not that big of a deal, but it is annoying and I would like to find out what's going on.

Any advice / info would be helpful.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Wanted to provide an update in case anyone else ever experiences this.

I took it to the dealer to try and diagnose this problem, but they are stumped. They've isolated the popping noise coming from the front right of the car, but can't seem to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. So far, they've replaced the following:

- drive axle
- strut bearing
- ball joint
- steering link bushings
- hub and bearing
- steering gear

No luck. Everything else seems fine. They even had a bodyshop look at it thinking it's a broken weld or warped body panel, but to no avail. This doesn't mean it's could not be a broken weld or body issue, they just haven't been able to pinpoint the location.

I'm still getting the noise mostly when turning right but it will also sometimes happen when driving over bumps. Yesterday it made the noise while turning left. It's not a big issue, but it is annoying and doesn't instill much confidence in the car. I put the spare tire on the front left and right thinking it could be a cracked rim, but it still made the noise.

Anyone have any ideas? Transmission maybe? What about a broken weld on the crossmember?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had a similar noise on my sonata 2016. Anyway the dealers said it was the wheel hub and they replaced the both. Solved the problem so far. But since they practically changed your whole front end that is quite the mystery. Unless... They didnt replace the something properly....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
could be the brake line, when you make a turn, parts on the brake line block the way and make a noise
Good suggestion, but we checked those and it steers clear of the brake lines. It really is weird because the noise doesn't always happen at the same time / condition. It's very random.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Have the frt. stab. bar ends been checked ?

I had a noise on my 13EGT, that was the right ball joint.
My mechanic had to use a pry bar to find it !

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have the frt. stab. bar ends been checked ?

I had a noise on my 13EGT, that was the right ball joint.
My mechanic had to use a pry bar to find it !
I'm not sure if they were checked. I assume they were by the tech as he said he checked the whole front end, but I'll have to ask him to make sure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After doing some on and off sleuthing over the last several weeks I've isolated the noise to the swaybar bushing on the right side. Not sure if the bushing itself is bad, but if I rest a crowbar on the lower control arm and push up on the swaybar, I can reproduce the sound every time.

I guess I'll replace the bushing and see if the noise goes away, however I'm wondering if the metal plate the swaybar bracket bolts into might be cracked or fatigued in some way.

·
Banned
6,990 Posts
Wanted to provide an update in case anyone else ever experiences this.

I took it to the dealer to try and diagnose this problem, but they are stumped. They've isolated the popping noise coming from the front right of the car, but can't seem to pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. So far, they've replaced the following:

- drive axle
- strut bearing
- ball joint
- steering link bushings
- hub and bearing
- steering gear

No luck. Everything else seems fine. They even had a bodyshop look at it thinking it's a broken weld or warped body panel, but to no avail. This doesn't mean it's could not be a broken weld or body issue, they just haven't been able to pinpoint the location.

I'm still getting the noise mostly when turning right but it will also sometimes happen when driving over bumps. Yesterday it made the noise while turning left. It's not a big issue, but it is annoying and doesn't instill much confidence in the car. I put the spare tire on the front left and right thinking it could be a cracked rim, but it still made the noise.

Anyone have any ideas? Transmission maybe? What about a broken weld on the crossmember?

Sway bar link.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Replaced the swaybar bushing today and that solved it. Noise is completely gone now. Ended up being an $8 part and 45 minutes worth of work.

The hardest part about this whole thing was finding out exactly where the noise was coming from. Funny thing is, is that the old bushing doesn't look worn at all. Weird.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts