Hyundai Forums banner

Crack In Instrumental Panel Plastic Cover

5K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  mamamia 
#1 ·
Last week I unlocked and got into my 2009 Sonata GLS and started driving off. A few minutes later I noticed that a vertical crack had appeared in the plastic lens covering the instrument panel. I've never seen anything like that before. The crack is about 1/3 of the way from the right side of the panel. It starts at the bottom and reaches up about 2/3 of the height of the panel.

I purchased the car in December 2009. It is Hyundai pre-certified and the full bumper-to-bumper warranty is still in force.

I took it to a dealer today and was perplexed (and obviously a little annoyed) that instead of simply repairing it under warranty (or setting up a repair date if a part was needed) they said they would get back to me next week after talking to Hyundai for a determination of whether the warranty will cover this. I cannot imagine why the warranty wouldn't cover a spontaneously-appearing crack. Afterward I called Hyundai consumer-relations and spoke to a not-very-knowledgeable-sounding woman who basically said that Hyundai has to determine whether this was caused by something that isn't covered by the warranty. This sounds like poppycock...doesn't pass the smell test.

Has anyone seen a crack of this sort suddenly appear on the instrument-panel cover?

And whether you have or haven't, do you think there is any justification for the delay -- and worse yet possible refusal -- in repairing it under the bumper-to-bumper? Would I have been better off taking it back to the dealer I bought it from (which is much further from where I live)? One reason I bought Hyundai is because the workmanship and warranty are supposed to be so good, but understandably this (and a few earlier mechanical issues that WERE repaired under warranty) has me questioning whether that's true.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,

See less See more
#2 ·
I haven't read such a complaint of a crack in the plastic lens on this forum. But even if my memory is not the best, It's certainly not been a common issue with the 4G Sonata.

Theoretically, any breakage or crack to a plastic part could be the result of a physical blow caused by a human being. It's not that difficult to imagine such a scenario.... So Hyundai being a little bit hesitant is not illogical... Again, in theory It could have been caused by the PREVIOUS owner, when you got the car it might have been not visible, or too tiny to notice, and the crack kept creeping upwards...

I would wait and see... You always have the option of going back to your original dealer, 'cause many times you can get better service from your original dealer -- granted he's a good dealer, mine I dumped soon after buying my car from, cause his service dept. sucked.

Keep us posted.

#3 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

With regard to the possibility this started with a previous owner: Wouldn't the fact that Hyundai certified the vehicle and sold me a bumper-to-bumper warranty render anything which occurred before the sale irrelevant to coverage eligibility?

BTW, like you I am in the Chicagoland area, and unfortunately I was extremely unimpressed with the service department of the Hyundai dealer that sold me the car. They are in a far-west suburb.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Fyi...

Got the good news today from Hyundai that they would cover replacement of the cracked instrument-panel lens under the bumper-to-bumper warranty.

While I was fairly optimistic that this is what would happen, the fact that it had even been questioned was a little concerning -- whether or not that should have been expected. I obviously would've been unhappy about paying to repair something that I didn't cause, on a Hyundai-certified vehicle that no one but Hyundai has serviced.

BTW, the dealer I bought from isn't the one sbr711 alluded to. As a newbie here, I don't feel comfortable mentioning the name. While there are numerous ways in which they didn't exactly create a great impression (I won't go into details here), they did eventually come through on everything.

#6 ·
I would be surprised if Hyundai had approved the repair under warranty immediately.... As I mentioned before, any breakage or crack to a plastic part could be the result of a physical blow caused by a human being.... Thruout the years we've met here a number of posters who admitted doing all kind of funny "stuff" which resulted in causing MAJOR damage to their car, yet Hyundai honored the warranty repairs.... Of course, they CHEATED Hyundai.

You're lucky, so be happy.

#10 ·
QUOTE (Rick2525 @ Aug 3 2010, 06:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=346929
Thanks for the additional feedback. Seems to be a difference of opinion on whether this is a reasonably common problem or not, but now at least one other, faisalmg, has confirmed having the plastic crack.
I recall someone reported a crack located along the perimeter of the air bag.

Cracked dashes are more common among cars that are parked out in the hot sun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.