47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I think I found the car I want.

CPO 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T
Mileage 17k
1 Owner
Carfax checked out

Prem pack, leather seats, heated, moonroofs, the works.

Stickered at 21.5k after 3k tax title fees = 24.5k out the door.

Is this a good deal? How much better can I squeeze out of the deal? They said they would negotiate. Has been on the lot for 55 days.

Any problems with 2012 2.0T limited

Have excellent credit. Haven't applied for loan. Where are the best credit unions? Best rate to expect.

Thanks first time buyer!!!

And just sold my 01 Corolla 82k miles for 3k to my neighbor. Will I need any money down?

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,366 Posts
Hello,

I think I found the car I want.

CPO 2012 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T
Mileage 17k
1 Owner
Carfax checked out

Prem pack, leather seats, heated, moonroofs, the works.

Stickered at 21.5k after 3k tax title fees = 24.5k out the door.

Is this a good deal? How much better can I squeeze out of the deal? They said they would negotiate. Has been on the lot for 55 days.

Any problems with 2012 2.0T limited

Have excellent credit. Haven't applied for loan. Where are the best credit unions? Best rate to expect.

Thanks first time buyer!!!

And just sold my 01 Corolla 82k miles for 3k to my neighbor. Will I need any money down?

Thanks,
Chris
I have no clue why you would do this when you can buy a brand new one for little more with the rebates and other incentives the dealers have to clear out their lots.

If this is a cash deal you can do much better. Get the price of a new one off of TrueCar or Edmunds and compare to this. I think this is a lousy deal. I'd walk away from it.

I'd offer (ball park estimate) of no more than $20K or you walk. Then walk. What have you to lose?

You won't have the full warranty. You have miles of which you don't know how they were driven. I can't see the upside. If they have had it for 55 days they want it gone and out of their sight.

I wouldn't give them any cash on a new one. The rebate will meet that by itself. Stick the $3k in your bank. Take the rebate and refinance (if new) where you can get the best deal. So far as I know the Sonata rebates are not contingent on Hyundai financing. Regardless you can refinance it as soon as it is booked by the lender. How much are they charging you for documentation fees and other junk fees? I paid $1 on the last two new cars I bought this summer.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no clue why you would do this when you can buy a brand new one for little more with the rebates and other incentives the dealers have to clear out their lots.

If this is a cash deal you can do much better. Get the price of a new one off of TrueCar or Edmunds and compare to this. I think this is a lousy deal. I'd walk away from it.

I'd offer (ball park estimate) of no more than $20K or you walk. Then walk. What have you to lose?

You won't have the full warranty. You have miles of which you don't know how they were driven. I can't see the upside. If they have had it for 55 days they want it gone and out of their sight.

I wouldn't give them any cash on a new one. The rebate will meet that by itself. Stick the $3k in your bank. Take the rebate and refinance (if new) where you can get the best deal. So far as I know the Sonata rebates are not contingent on Hyundai financing. Regardless you can refinance it as soon as it is booked by the lender. How much are they charging you for documentation fees and other junk fees? I paid $1 on the last two new cars I bought this summer.
Thanks for reply. So a brand new 2014 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T with all the packages can be had for a little more than 24.5k out the door? I find that hard to believe. I got quoted in the 30k's.

I was gonna try to get 19k out the door.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

18k out the door change your mind?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That would work.

How much are the taxes and documentation fees?

You have a leg up in that you are dealing with real numbers. When the trade-in is factored in, then one doesn't really know.
Rough.... guy is playing hardball.... he can get me out the door at $23,998.30 (includes tax,title,etc.). I told him I need it at 20k and he said we won't be able to cover that gap. Really nice guy. This is fully loaded EVERYTHING.

Hurts me that he won't go down on the price. Don't know what to do.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,301 Posts
If this were me, I would go for a 2013 Limited Turbo without the premium package.

Should be 22K if not less OTD.

Yes you will be giving up the pano roof and navigation, but you still get a sunroof (single pane) plus the heated seats, leather, etc.

The nav on our cars is nothing to write home about so that you can save almost 2K in additional cost. Then you can upgrade the base radio with one of the excellent aftermarket packages available (not going to name a specific vendor but there are many) Also, while the pano roof is cool, there have been scattered reports of issues about them as well.

I would advocate brand new simply because the used car is not that much cheaper and you are paying to deal with someone else's 17K miles of use. Not worth it in my book, depreciation be d**ned.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If this were me, I would go for a 2013 Limited Turbo without the premium package.

Yes you will be giving up the pano roof and navigation, but you still get a sunroof (single pane) plus the heated seats, leather, etc.

The nav on our cars is nothing to write home about so that you can save almost 2K in additional cost. Then you can upgrade the base radio with one of the excellent aftermarket packages available (not going to name a specific vendor but there are many) Also, while the pano roof is cool, there have been scattered reports of issues about them as well.

I would advocate brand new simply because the used car is not that much cheaper and you are paying to deal with someone else's 17K miles of use. Not worth it in my book, depreciation be d**ned.
Interesting.... I probably will never use the navigation and pano roof. What aftermarket packages are you talking about? Where can I get those at ?

I will look into this and report back.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Out the door at 26k. How are you guys getting soooo low? Please help.

I wouldn't mind buying new 2013 Limited 2.0T without Nav. to compromise.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,366 Posts
I absolutely agree about the inferior Nav system. I have it in mine and it is a complete rip-off. The only saving grace is the back-up camera. The Santa Fe and new Veloster have excellent GPS systems. The Sonata's is obsolete. One hopes the 2014's have this corrected.

What I would do is to find one without the Nav system. According to the 2013 brochure, it comes standard with the sun roof on the Limited (a desirable option. The turbo comes with the 18" wheels, very desirable) However, the sport tuned suspension and steering is deleted (how much important is this?)

The "premium package" comes with the pano roof. (not something I would pay extra or want although I had it in my 2013 Santa Fe and 2012 Tucson). I prefer the regular sunroof. The touchscreen Nav system is included with the rearview camera. The camera is desirable but you can have that put in as an aftermarket accessory if you want it. And it comes with a louder audio system.

What I would do is to price one out without the premium package and check the price of the after market rear camera. Use Truecar or Edmunds to get the prices and check the incentives. I got $2,500 off in my case when I bought the new SE.

Unless you have a need for the turbo I personally believe that the 2.4 GDI engine is more than adequate; but each has his own druthers.

I would also look at the SE; seriously. Is there a particular reason why you need the Limited?

But let me throw out a wild idea at you. I have a new 2013 Elantra GLS and a new 2013 Sonata SE. I'm seriously thinking of working a deal to get another Elantra Limited and trading in the Sonata although it only has 1,900 miles on it. It is a fine car but I dearly love the way the Elantra drives and it has plenty of room for me and I'm 6'6" tall and 250 pounds. I drove a Limited some 125 miles on a dealer trade and thought it was great.

I'd seriously look at one of those before you plunk down your hard earned money on a used Sonata costing nearly as much as a brand new 2013 Sonata or Elantra.

Let the dealer sell that used car to someone else. There are oodles and gobs of these cars clogging the dealer's lots. You can do better. He's doing you no favors.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,366 Posts
Rough.... guy is playing hardball.... he can get me out the door at $23,998.30 (includes tax,title,etc.). I told him I need it at 20k and he said we won't be able to cover that gap. Really nice guy. This is fully loaded EVERYTHING.

Hurts me that he won't go down on the price. Don't know what to do.
Forget the "nice" guy business. Chances are he won't be there the next time you go there anyway. Salesmen are nomadic in nature.

Break down the costs if you don't mind. I don't get the nearly $24K price tag. Seems utterly exorbitant to me. Heck I can buy a brand new 2013 Genesis for $6K more right now. That's not what you are looking for but threw it in for comparison's sake.

·
Registered
458 Posts
with the '14's being out, the dealers should be trying to move the 13's off the lot, I would try to deal on a new 13 rather than a used 12. Should be great bargins out there since it is close to the end of the year. Just looked on local dealer websites and found quite a few 13's at about the price you are considering the used 12 for, So the deals are out there.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
with the '14's being out, the dealers should be trying to move the 13's off the lot, I would try to deal on a new 13 rather than a used 12. Should be great bargins out there since it is close to the end of the year. Just looked on local dealer websites and found quite a few 13's at about the price you are considering the used 12 for, So the deals are out there.

Using Amex Truecar cert thing, I found a new 13 Sonata Limited Turbo for 20.9k before tax etc. This seems like a much better deal then the used.

·
Registered
2022 Tucson SEL
2,366 Posts
Using Amex Truecar cert thing, I found a new 13 Sonata Limited Turbo for 20.9k before tax etc. This seems like a much better deal then the used.
There you go. Now you're cooking. This will be a good deal and you'll have a brand new one with a full warranty and only you will be the one who has driven it. And then take it back to the dealer for service and it will last you many years.

If it doesn't come with Nav which I assume to be the case, just go down to Wal-Mart and get a new Garmin, mount it on a beanbag on your dash and you'll have the best of both worlds. $180 for both.

You will be getting all this:

Power tilt and slide sunroof
Leather seating
Heated rear seats
Dual zone auto temp control
Steering wheel paddle shifters
Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass and Homelink
Chrome tipped dual exhaust
side mirror mounted turn signal indiators
18" wheels

Good luck. Aren't you glad you inquired here? Those salesmen will sell you the moon if you let them. It's your money.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There you go. Now you're cooking. This will be a good deal and you'll have a brand new one with a full warranty and only you will be the one who has driven it. And then take it back to the dealer for service and it will last you many years.

If it doesn't come with Nav which I assume to be the case, just go down to Wal-Mart and get a new Garmin, mount it on a beanbag on your dash and you'll have the best of both worlds. $180 for both.

You will be getting all this:

Power tilt and slide sunroof
Leather seating
Heated rear seats
Dual zone auto temp control
Steering wheel paddle shifters
Auto dimming rearview mirror with compass and Homelink
Chrome tipped dual exhaust
side mirror mounted turn signal indiators
18" wheels

Good luck. Aren't you glad you inquired here? Those salesmen will sell you the moon if you let them. It's your money.
I am very glad.. Thank you all again.... However, For some reason, I don't have my cert for 20.9k out the door, but I have 23.5k WITH NAV. I found a closer dealer that will match this so I am going tonight. I am hoping he will match the NAV deal and then we subtract the $2900 and land at 20.6k before tax title fees. I should be around 23-23.5k OTD.

First things first, NEED TO TEST DRIVE ONE FIRST :) As long as the Turbo has pep, I think its a no brainer. It literally has every single feature I am looking for. MPG is slightly low, but I will accept that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good call. Thanks again.

Forget the "nice" guy business. Chances are he won't be there the next time you go there anyway. Salesmen are nomadic in nature.

Break down the costs if you don't mind. I don't get the nearly $24K price tag. Seems utterly exorbitant to me. Heck I can buy a brand new 2013 Genesis for $6K more right now. That's not what you are looking for but threw it in for comparison's sake.
Indeed. I will post back after I go to the dealer tonight.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.