Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello!

First time Hyundai owner here, very glad to have found a great forum for information.

I'm in Canada and I've owned my 2013 Elantra Limited w/ Navigation for a little under a month now and have run into a couple annoying issues with the entertainment system and I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice/fixes?

1) I oftentimes like to listen to playlists from my iPod on random. However, whenever I turn the car off, the random function resets. When I turn the car back on and turn random back on, it starts the playlist over again, so I end up needing to skip through the many songs that end up repeatings. It's particularly annoying on a long drive, when I put together a long playlist. If I stop for a break/gas, I end up resetting the whole playlist.

2) I've noticed that if I'm listening to my iPod and make/receive a phonecall over Bluetooth, the music simply keeps playing rather than pausing while I take the call. So for some calls, by the time the call ends several songs have already played through.

Overall, I love the car, but I'd love it much more if I could find some fixes to these issues!

Thanks for any help you can offer!

·
Registered
183 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum! Always good to have new people. As far as your questions, I'm not sure that it's a limitation or malfunction of the cars radio, moreover am issue that happens everywhere. The playlist problem I'm pretty sure happens all the time because since it's a playlist that is playing random, the car would have to remember the entire song order and where you left off to start it again. I think if you played the playlist over Bluetooth and controlled EVERYTHING with the iPod, it may work. I'll check this in my Kenwood tomorrow. And for the Bluetooth pausing on phone calls, are you receiving the call in the same device playing the music? If so, I would think the iPhone should pause the music.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First off, welcome to the forum! Always good to have new people. As far as your questions, I'm not sure that it's a limitation or malfunction of the cars radio, moreover am issue that happens everywhere. The playlist problem I'm pretty sure happens all the time because since it's a playlist that is playing random, the car would have to remember the entire song order and where you left off to start it again. I think if you played the playlist over Bluetooth and controlled EVERYTHING with the iPod, it may work. I'll check this in my Kenwood tomorrow. And for the Bluetooth pausing on phone calls, are you receiving the call in the same device playing the music? If so, I would think the iPhone should pause the music.
Thanks for the welcome and your reply!

I can definitely say that the random function hasn't been an issue in other cars I've owned and other cars I've driven. This is the first time I've run into it.

The music is playing on a separate device. I keep an iPod Classic in my car (so I can store my whole music library) and then have my iPhone with me for calls.

Same as above, this is the first time I've run into this issue in a car. My last car would always stop the music while receiving/making calls and then resume as soon as the call ended.

·
Registered
183 Posts
You are correct. I did both of these this morning on my way to work. Hitting random on the head unit randomized the playlist as it should and it picked up where it left off after I turned the car off and back on again. I also received a phone call on my way to work and the music paused until after the call ended. The only caveat to this is that I am using ONLY an iPhone as opposed to an iPhone and an iPod. The music pausing was a given because I received the call on the same device playing the music.

I had the navigation system in my '13 Limited as well and replaced it with my Kenwood. I can't recall if either of these problems existed on mine or not but I only had the car for about 3 weeks before I took it out. I also didn't listen to the iPod much as the free XM had me HOOOOOOOKED!!! lol

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are correct. I did both of these this morning on my way to work. Hitting random on the head unit randomized the playlist as it should and it picked up where it left off after I turned the car off and back on again. I also received a phone call on my way to work and the music paused until after the call ended. The only caveat to this is that I am using ONLY an iPhone as opposed to an iPhone and an iPod. The music pausing was a given because I received the call on the same device playing the music.

I had the navigation system in my '13 Limited as well and replaced it with my Kenwood. I can't recall if either of these problems existed on mine or not but I only had the car for about 3 weeks before I took it out. I also didn't listen to the iPod much as the free XM had me HOOOOOOOKED!!! lol
Interesting - I hadn't really considered replacing the navigation system. Do you have photos of what your system looked like after the modification? I actually had a Kenwood system in my last car.

How much did the unit/installation cost? Did you lose any functionality (i.e. steering wheel controls)?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Interesting - I hadn't really considered replacing the navigation system. Do you have photos of what your system looked like after the modification? I actually had a Kenwood system in my last car.

How much did the unit/installation cost? Did you lose any functionality (i.e. steering wheel controls)?
It wasn't exactly "cheap". :) I bought a manufacture refurbished DNX890HD off eBay "hoping" for the best. Got the radio in and it was perfect! Cost me $500 for the radio which is half the cost of a brand new unit and I still have 90 day warranty from Kenwood.

I called a few different shops in my area to see how much they would charge me to put it in and the cheapest quote I received was $250 for the radio install and another $200 to install my two amps and sub. The ONLY reason I was going to have a shop do it was because I wanted them to wire in my factory reverse camera. In the end I decided I'd rather DESTROY the camera myself and be forced to by a brand new one for $100 than pay someone $500 for a project I was 95% sure I could do myself.

Bought everything I needed and went to it... three days and more than a few swear words later it was installed and working properly! :)

Here's a list with cost of everything I needed.

$500 Radio (eBay)
$30 Kenwood iPod Cable (Crutchfield)
$40 Dash kit / Wire Harness (eBay)
$70 Amp wiring kit / 3 sets RCAs (eBay)
$70 Maestro SW (eBay) (module to retain steering wheel controls including Bluetooth phone controls)
------ Speaker install ------
$20 12awg speaker wire (eBay)
$200 Infinity Kappa Component Speakers (eBay)
$100 Infinity Kappa Coaxial Speakers (eBay)
$30 Random install pieces (Auto Zone) (wire, butt connectors, heat shrink wrap etc.)

At the end of everything I am absolutely floored by the sound quality I get from this setup. I was able to wire in my factory reverse camera and retain ALL of my steering wheel controls which were my main two concerns. I wasn't going to take out a nav system and spend money to LOSE features. I would HIGHLY discourage you from doing this install yourself unless you are very very patient! I had the shop manual for the radios wire harness and it took me 2 days before I realized that they freaking manual is upside down and backwards. I'm truly lucky I didn't fry the radio on install.

As far as pics, I'll upload them tomorrow... I'm sleeping right now... or supposed to be sleeping right now. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts