Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new 2010 SF (now with 10,000 km!) is going in for its second oil change in a couple of weeks and there may be some issues that I want them to look at...these minor issues may just be a part of the vehicle, or there may perhaps be something wrong. Any opinions appreciated.

-Suspension seems VERY stiff. Even stiffer then when I got it, I think. Every pothole and dip in the road feels like you've just hit the curb. You have to take some driveways very slowly because the whole car rocks back and forth. My model is the Sport edition, so I know that it is a bit stiffer, but this seems excessive.

-When I start the car (not every time though), there is a brief but fairly audible "click" or "knock" that can be heard from the exhaust area. Not sure what it is all about.

-The dealership is giving me a bit of flack when I asked them to fix the "Sport" emblem which is slanted. Every Sport SF that I have seen, has this same slant.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
re: ride stiffness - Make sure your tires are not overinflated. The factory over-inflates them for shipping, and some dealers neglect to reset the pressure to 30 psi during the PDI process. Beyond that, it's just something you'll have to get used to. It is normal - especially with the OEM tires - for the 2nd-gen Santa Fe to feel choppy on some surfaces depending on what you're used to driving.

re: exhaust noise - Try flushing water under the exhaust tips and heat shields. Sometimes a small pebble can get lodged in there, causing weird sounds.

re: decal - If the decal is slanted on all Santa Fes and you really want yours re-mounted, check out this thread for tips on debadging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey There.....

I see you are from Toronto and I hope you did NOT purchase your vehicle from the same dealership as I have!!! They are totally incompetent!! Especially the mechanics.....

Ok, from the beginning....

I picked up my brand new 2010 Santa Fe (limited) on May 28....and was back the very next morning, with what seems to be a problem that none of their mechanics can figure out. I had requested for them to take the car back and just give me a new one....it only had 35km!! but of course, that was not an option in their books...im sorry, but If Im spending so much of my hard earned money on a car that should be reliable, I dont think I should be driving this car that actually sounds like my 1999 GMC Jimmy!! thats how old this car sounds!

Ok, problem #1 - every time I accelarate, you can hear the engine very loudly and very unhealthy and when you rev it to between 2500-3000rpm, you hear like a fluttering sound when you release the gas.

Problem #2 - I, too, have that knocking noise you hear, always when I start it in the morning, and its like a very faint and soft knock, and it last about 10 knocks...sound familiar? it sounds like its coming from the passenger exhaust system.

I have been back to the dealership, as per head office request, so the head office can actually instruct the mechanics at the dealership on what to check...as im sitting at my desk right now, my poor car is yet again at the dealership and Im left without a car!!

Do I really need to go through with this?? It has been ongoing for over a week and they cant figure out the problem. At first, the mechanic tried to tell me that it was normal...I may be a woman, I may be a fake blonde, but I sure as **** aint stupid or naive!!

I had the service manager bring out another 2010 santafe limited, next to mine, pop both hoods and compare the difference, and you most definately can tell a difference, and the mechanic still denied anything wrong with it!!! The service manager then opened a file with head office, whom ive been dealing with since but they have been no help!! Come on now...instead of all this inconvenience, they should of done what I had requested from the beginning, replace my car!!! then they can deal with the problem at their expense...not mine!!!

I feel very unsafe driving around with my children cause I have no idea what might happen!! Who ever decides to purchase a brand new vehicle, purchases it for one main reason...to avoid any headaches that a used car may give......

Anyone with me on this one??

Has anyone had any trouble with their 2010 engine noises? Please Please Please...any mechanics out there that might have an idea what the problem is? the dealership sure as **** doesnt!!!

Please HELP!

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
A brief clattering or knocking when starting up in the morning is perfectly normal. While sitting overnight, the oil falls out of the top of the engine due to gravity and leaves the valves and lifters without lubrication upon startup. Once the oil pump gets everything moving, the noise goes away. My '04 does it all the time.

·
Registered
35 Posts
QUOTE (agapi07 @ Jun 7 2010, 01:51 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=330608
Hey There.....

I see you are from Toronto and I hope you did NOT purchase your vehicle from the same dealership as I have!!! They are totally incompetent!! Especially the mechanics.....

Ok, from the beginning....

I picked up my brand new 2010 Santa Fe (limited) on May 28....and was back the very next morning, with what seems to be a problem that none of their mechanics can figure out. I had requested for them to take the car back and just give me a new one....it only had 35km!! but of course, that was not an option in their books...im sorry, but If Im spending so much of my hard earned money on a car that should be reliable, I dont think I should be driving this car that actually sounds like my 1999 GMC Jimmy!! thats how old this car sounds!

Ok, problem #1 - every time I accelarate, you can hear the engine very loudly and very unhealthy and when you rev it to between 2500-3000rpm, you hear like a fluttering sound when you release the gas.

Problem #2 - I, too, have that knocking noise you hear, always when I start it in the morning, and its like a very faint and soft knock, and it last about 10 knocks...sound familiar? it sounds like its coming from the passenger exhaust system.

I have been back to the dealership, as per head office request, so the head office can actually instruct the mechanics at the dealership on what to check...as im sitting at my desk right now, my poor car is yet again at the dealership and Im left without a car!!

Do I really need to go through with this?? It has been ongoing for over a week and they cant figure out the problem. At first, the mechanic tried to tell me that it was normal...I may be a woman, I may be a fake blonde, but I sure as **** aint stupid or naive!!

I had the service manager bring out another 2010 santafe limited, next to mine, pop both hoods and compare the difference, and you most definately can tell a difference, and the mechanic still denied anything wrong with it!!! The service manager then opened a file with head office, whom ive been dealing with since but they have been no help!! Come on now...instead of all this inconvenience, they should of done what I had requested from the beginning, replace my car!!! then they can deal with the problem at their expense...not mine!!!

I feel very unsafe driving around with my children cause I have no idea what might happen!! Who ever decides to purchase a brand new vehicle, purchases it for one main reason...to avoid any headaches that a used car may give......

Anyone with me on this one??

Has anyone had any trouble with their 2010 engine noises? Please Please Please...any mechanics out there that might have an idea what the problem is? the dealership sure as **** doesnt!!!

Please HELP!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought a brand new Santa Fe 2010 Sport with only 18km on it and i had to return it the next morning morning because of vibration and alignment issues, I told the dealership just to give me another brand new vehicle. So after 5 times back to the dealership, my Santa Fe is on its' third drive shaft, you would thing Hyundai would do the SMART thing and give me a brand new Santa Fe. NO, Hyundai Canada would rather go to arbitration via CAMVAP because they are on a high horse and think that the customers are fabricating problems with the vehicles. They should wake up and take these mechanical issues seriously before it turns out to be another Toyota Turmoil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts