Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd definitely give it a shot if it wasn't as cold as it is. Hard to do car maintenance if u don't have a heated garage this time of year.

·
Registered
132 Posts
There will probably be many good prices offered on Synthetic oils for the next few months as old stock/spec oil is cleared out to make room for the new GF-6 certified oil that should be introduced in a few months. That is not to say that many existing oils don't already meet GF-6 specifications.
some info here....

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have not tried Costo, but have switched to Super Tech from using Mobil 1 (heaven help me).

Have been using Super Tech synthetic 5W-30 and 0w-20 since 2015. Both oils meet all current specs and the Walmart Super Tech 5 gallon jug cost of $15.99 is almost always $10 to $15 less than Mobile 1. Changing two cars oil twice a year I gladly pocket the $50 savings a year. It's money I can spend on my family rather than throw down an oil recycling drum.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ordered 2 jugs of 0W20 and 2 jugs of the 5W30. For $12.5 for 5 quarts shipped and no rebates, worth the convenience. The 0W20 is used for a 10k OCI for a non Hyundai and the 5W30 is a 3K OCI for the YF turbo.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The label says it is made by Warren Labs, by the same place as Wally World's Supertech and Amazon Oil. Plus it's rated SN PLUS, which is higher than Mobil 1.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How do you think this Costco oil compares to Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Edge full synthetics? I use the Pennzoil in my older cars but am still hunting the best practical oil for the new 2.4 GDI Santa Fe although it will be a while before I need any. The dealer gives me the first oil change for free. I guess I'll spend that at about 1000 miles and let them put their QS synthetic blend back in. I'll go with full synthetic with the subsequent oil change.

Speaking of oil, is there any wisdom associated with using the Hyundai recommended 5W-20 oil down here on the gulf coast where it's beastly hot most of the year and only below freezing for mere hours every winter? Does the 5W-20 save enough fuel to make it worth the risk? Seems like 5W-30 is the safer choice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
How do you think this Costco oil compares to Pennzoil Platinum or Castrol Edge full synthetics? I use the Pennzoil in my older cars but am still hunting the best practical oil for the new 2.4 GDI Santa Fe although it will be a while before I need any. The dealer gives me the first oil change for free. I guess I'll spend that at about 1000 miles and let them put their QS synthetic blend back in. I'll go with full synthetic with the subsequent oil change.

Speaking of oil, is there any wisdom associated with using the Hyundai recommended 5W-20 oil down here on the gulf coast where it's beastly hot most of the year and only below freezing for mere hours every winter? Does the 5W-20 save enough fuel to make it worth the risk? Seems like 5W-30 is the safer choice.
You answered your own question ....yes it's safer to use 5-30.... 5-20 might be too thin for hot conditions

·
Registered
52 Posts
Looks like Todd from Youtubes Project Farm may be testing the Kirkland oil against others like Amazons and Mobil 1.
Project Farm Very entertaining videos. Synthetic Oil winner

On Thu, Jan 23, 2020 at 9:57 AM Bkjjohn wrote:
Perhaps a new test Synthetic motor oil test is on the horizon… Mobil1, Amazon and Costcos Kirkland? 15.00 for 5 Quarts.

Sent: Friday, January 24, 2020 7:43 AM
Subject: Re: Costco motor oil made by Warren labs

Hi Brian,
That's a terrific idea. I'll test it soon.
Thanks and best regards,
Todd

1 - 12 of 12 Posts