Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had my 2007 Tucson serviced because the owners manual wanted the transmission fluid changed after 105000 miles. I was charged $775 for this service. Feeling ripped off. He did have to change the transmission cooler because is was leaking. Break down of charges: $220 for transmission cooler part - $220 to remove and replace transmission cooler - atf fluid $119.10 - service kit $31.12 - power flush $73.

·
Registered
816 Posts
That's a bit high but not completly out of the Norm at what Dealers charge.
this is why i try doing all mantanance on my vehicles myself & if You dont know How - to fix it.? online researches or talking to experienced professional technitions online is also a great way of dy'ing a repair job. be nice too them. many times they do help. :)

·
Registered
2016 Hyundai Sonata Sport
29 Posts
For most car issues one is best to have non dealer mechanic, who you know is trustworthy or do some of the work yourself if you have the capabilities. I only use dealership for warranty related items if at all possible myself.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This work was not done by a dealer. I find he does good work but is very expensive. For instance I recently had the timing belt replaced and he told me my oil pan also needed replaced. The oil pan was starting to weep oil because of the rust. The total for both items was over $1,300. I try to do most of the maintenance myself (oil changes, brakes, tune ups) but some of the jobs I am not sure of I prefer to have someone else do it. Even the tune up (plugs and plug wires) are getting out of my comfort zone because of the rear plugs needing to remove the intake manifold to access them.

·
Registered
2008 FWD Tucson
23 Posts
That sounds about right. But, If you wanted to save some money, you coulda easily saved $500...I think. If you can change your own oil, you coulda done dat job.

Did he change out your Antifreeze? He shoulda. It looks like the radiator might have to come out. IF not, it all can be done by removing the grill. That brings it close to an hours labor (if all he has to do is pull the grill). If not, no need to fool w/the radiator.

I used to go to an expensive guy. He stood behind his work. For example, NAPA had a bad string of distributers (or so he said). We took the car back 2x, on the end of a rope. Both times, no charge.

But, the final straw was when I checked the bill and found out that they were charging me more than retail for parts (they buy at wholesale....if they were saleing at retail, I wouldn't have had a problem). They call Napa, and send in an order. 10 minutes later, a PU w/a ball cap on top of it is on its way and delivers the part.

You put in Hyundai ATF? There are a few aftermarket ATFs that meet Hyundai specifications that you coulda used. I THINK, that they are ABOUT 25 bucks a gallon. I'm guessing, for the whole thing, less than 2 gals. $50 saved.

You coulda put an aftermarket cooler on, that was 2x the size for cheaper, but it woulda have had to have been engineered. YOu coulda done dat, but he probably didn't want to do that. $150 saved.

You also coulda put an inline trans filter on it....all the way down, the last 2 items on the list.

He didn't overcharge you for the labor. That is at least a 2 hour job...100 bucks an hour is cheaper than the dealer.

Power trans flush...the words of Monty Python apply, "RUN AWAY." Never ever do that. The thinking is that it is easy, and the mech. avoids an ATF shower. The other side of thought, true or not, is that it pushes contaminants free, from where they are just hanging out and not causing any issues, to places where they can clog valves, solenoids and orifices.

It looks like my FWD Tucson has a drain plug on it...therefore, easy to do a drain and refill on the ATF. Therefore, no ATF shower.

You should be changing your ATF every 25K-50K miles. It is easy to do if all you do is a drain and a refill.

That job is a Saturday afternoon job. To change your sparkplugs, check on youtube for a video.

Changing your oil pan, I didn't look, but I bet that is a PITA. $500-$800 to change a timing belt and probably bunch of hours to change the pan. I bet that pan wasn't cheap.

·
Registered
2002 Sonata 2.4L GL A/T, 2007 Tucson 2.0L
129 Posts
Yea, it is a little steep, but a good mechanic is tough to come by.

Does he use OEM parts? I wouldn't pay the best mechanic prices like that if they're throwing autozone crap on my car.

·
Registered
193 Posts
That sounds about right. But, If you wanted to save some money, you coulda easily saved $500...I think. If you can change your own oil, you coulda done dat job.

Did he change out your Antifreeze? He shoulda. It looks like the radiator might have to come out. IF not, it all can be done by removing the grill. That brings it close to an hours labor (if all he has to do is pull the grill). If not, no need to fool w/the radiator.

I used to go to an expensive guy. He stood behind his work. For example, NAPA had a bad string of distributers (or so he said). We took the car back 2x, on the end of a rope. Both times, no charge.

But, the final straw was when I checked the bill and found out that they were charging me more than retail for parts (they buy at wholesale....if they were saleing at retail, I wouldn't have had a problem). They call Napa, and send in an order. 10 minutes later, a PU w/a ball cap on top of it is on its way and delivers the part.

You put in Hyundai ATF? There are a few aftermarket ATFs that meet Hyundai specifications that you coulda used. I THINK, that they are ABOUT 25 bucks a gallon. I'm guessing, for the whole thing, less than 2 gals. $50 saved.

You coulda put an aftermarket cooler on, that was 2x the size for cheaper, but it woulda have had to have been engineered. YOu coulda done dat, but he probably didn't want to do that. $150 saved.

You also coulda put an inline trans filter on it....all the way down, the last 2 items on the list.

He didn't overcharge you for the labor. That is at least a 2 hour job...100 bucks an hour is cheaper than the dealer.

Power trans flush...the words of Monty Python apply, "RUN AWAY." Never ever do that. The thinking is that it is easy, and the mech. avoids an ATF shower. The other side of thought, true or not, is that it pushes contaminants free, from where they are just hanging out and not causing any issues, to places where they can clog valves, solenoids and orifices.

It looks like my FWD Tucson has a drain plug on it...therefore, easy to do a drain and refill on the ATF. Therefore, no ATF shower.

You should be changing your ATF every 25K-50K miles. It is easy to do if all you do is a drain and a refill.

That job is a Saturday afternoon job. To change your sparkplugs, check on youtube for a video.

Changing your oil pan, I didn't look, but I bet that is a PITA. $500-$800 to change a timing belt and probably bunch of hours to change the pan. I bet that pan wasn't cheap.
"There are a few aftermarket ATFs that meet Hyundai specifications that you coulda used."
What brands are those, last time I looked there was none?

·
Registered
2002 Sonata 2.4L GL A/T, 2007 Tucson 2.0L
129 Posts
"There are a few aftermarket ATFs that meet Hyundai specifications that you coulda used."
What brands are those, last time I looked there was none?
Idemitsu Type HK if you're driving an automatic.

·
Registered
2008 FWD Tucson
23 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts