Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently noticed what appears to be the onset of a rust bubble on the roof of my 2011 Sonata. :mad:

There are two stone chips in the vicinity of the bubbling - one chip has not entirely gone through the paint's base layer while the other is through to the bare metal. The bare metal chip shows no visible surface corrosion other than a spec on one edge.

Before touching up the chip, I brought the car into the dealership to review the bubbling, knowing full well that they would jump to the conclusion that the chip caused the bubble. Sure enough service manager concluded that the chip cause "humidity" to get under the paint and bubble, and it would not be convered under warranty. I expressed my metallurgical opinion but didn't get anywhere, so took down an escalation phone number and left.

My questions for the group are:

1. If one chip is not through the base layer while the other shows no rust on the bare metal itself, how could moisture propagate under the surrounding paint?

2. Is this a losing battle with Hyundai warranty, or do I have a case here? At the very least I would like to have photos on record and a commitment in writing that if it propagates further to the point of perforation, that it should be repaired.

At this point i've cleaned up the chips and touched them up. Attached are pics.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
I deal with irrate customers on a daily basis regarding internal company policies and disputes. This isn't my area of expertise at all, but my first question would be "How long has the chip been there, and did you make any attempts to personally, or professionally touch it up?". This may be the basis of their argument to reject any responsibility for the rust and claim it as CID (customer induced damage)/customer neglect. If the chip has been there for a while, without any actions on your part to address it, you might be SOL.

That being said, there is usually always a path of escalation through a companies hierarchy that can possibly get you to the right person to take care of this. You just have to know how to escalate your concerns until you reach that level. You also have to remember that the person you will be speaking with on the phone for this issue probably deals with claims just like this every single day and has the ability to make you think they are the end of the line, but everyone has the right to escalate to the next level and should not be refused.

Be persistent! Sometimes they may just help you so you stop bugging them. :D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Having the EXACT same issues on my 2011 Sonata. Stays outside mostly in Ohio, but still cannot imagine why 2 spots on my roof. One reputable shop believes it is not from the 'chips' but is emerging from the underlying metal.
Any success in resolving within the 7 year/unlimited mileage warranty?

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
The fact that you stated "There are two stone chips in the vicinity of the bubbling - one chip has not entirely gone through the paint's base layer while the other is through to the bare metal. The bare metal chip shows no visible surface corrosion other than a spec on one edge." sort of has you admitting, acknowledging, agreeing that these are damage caused by stones or other foreign objects.

To me it looks like a defective finish and the corrosion started at the base metal and a bit of the topcoat & clearcoat has already flaked off . . . the problen originated at the base metal, went through the primer, the color coat and the clear coat.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Thank goodness I haven't had any rust problems. I don't see how such a new car could get rust like that.
The rust being under the paint, Hyundai should cover that under the anti perforation/corrosion warranty. I don't know that they would, but they should.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts