Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not to be a car hypochondriac, but I was reading issues with the 2006 Hyundai Sonata and one of the alarming issues was the corroding brake line. I don't think the car I bought used has had any repair regarding that issue, and I do happen to live in one of the cities with the harshest winters (**** Toronto!).

With that being said, is there anything I can do ahead of time before the brake line completely rusts over and potentially causes an accident?

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
467 Posts
You could spray the lines with one of the oily automotive rust prevention sprays.

I recently bought Fluid Film to use for rust prevention on my Sonata. It supposedly washes off over time more easily than some other kinds, but it's pretty affordable on ebay and it is lanolin based, so you're not dealing with some toxic stuff when you use it.

I've had it on my undercarriage for a couple months and it hasn't washed off.

·
Registered
136 Posts
There was a recent thread here on an '06 that just had this condition repaired. Search for it & it'll give you some insight. You should have the brake lines checked since this is a potential problem on this model.

But don't panic. The braking systems on all modern cars are "diagonal". The brakes are split into 2 circuits: one front wheel and one back wheel. The wheels in each circuit are always on opposite sides of the car. So if a brake line fails you'll lose at most one front wheel and one rear wheel on the opposite side of the car. The car will still stop, it will just take longer. It will also stop evenly since both sides of the car have brakes and both axles have brakes. You should also get a warning light on the dash indicating a brake problem, probably the ABS light.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Power wash the underside, and flood the tubes with undercoating

·
22,793 Posts
Man, my hat is off to you guys up in the frozen tundra's of Canada and the U.S. I don't know how you cope with it. I guess you "do what you have to do."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts