Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would be the correct tire pressure for a 2007 Santa Fe?

The Manual recommends 30 PSI but when I got mine (used) it was almost 60 PSI on both front wheels and 45 on both back wheels. Following the Manual, I let some air out until they were 30 PSI but at that pressure the tires seem to bulge at the bottom significantly (as if they are lacking air). I left them at 35 as a compromise but they still look slightly like they lack air.

What pressure should I use? Or maybe all four wheels are bad?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Always measure pressures when cold (car hasn't moved for 3hrs min).
I put in 2-4psi more than the manual says.

Does yours say the same for front and rear? If so, then low to mid 30's will be fine.

60psi when you got it?????? lucky it hadn't failed. Most have a max rating of mid 40's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Always measure pressures when cold (car hasn't moved for 3hrs min).
I put in 2-4psi more than the manual says.

Does yours say the same for front and rear? If so, then low to mid 30's will be fine.

60psi when you got it?????? lucky it hadn't failed. Most have a max rating of mid 40's.

My tires are rated for 60 PSI Max so being almost 60 I dont think would lead them to failure.

Anyway, anything below the mid 40s will have a very noticeable bulge. It annoys me seeing the bulge. The majority of cars I see, look perfectly round.

Another thing I noticed is that the mileage when I bought it was recorded as an average of 21 yet it quickly dropped to 9-11 MPG on average and I dont think I am THAT bad of a driver so I think it may be that it has somehow an incorrect tire pressure, even if the manual says 30 (I have heard that incorrect pressure kills mileage).

·
Registered
413 Posts
If you drive with tyres 10+ psi above recommended, they are going to wear in the centre of the tyre very quickly.

Why do you care what it LOOKS like?

Put the right pressure in and drive. (I have heard that incorrect pressure kills mileage too, but it also affects handling, braking, particularly in the wet and uneven wear) - your choice. You clearly care more about the appearance of roundness than the ability of your tyre to grip the road.................

Is tyre-roundness-appreciation even a thing?

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Please check and post the tire size as shown on the sidewalls.
Do they match the size printed on the sticker on the driver's door frame?
If the size includes "LT" it means they are light truck rated tires, which need higher pressure and carry higher loads.
I've never seen regular passenger car tires rated higher than 51 psi max.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
Tire pressure is a matter of what works for you as long as you do not exceed what is on the sidewall cold.
What is on the door is the manufacturer's recommended pressure for overall comfort and wear and it may not be the best for the type of driving you do. Lots of city, turns etc I would prefer 2-4 PSI over the recommendation as for me the outside edges of the front tires wear too soon at lower PSI with a lot of turning being done. Again, personal preference as to ride and wear. Back tires carry less weight and I keep mine about 2-3 PSI less than the front. Again, this works for me so you need to develop your preferences.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
The door sticker on my car specifies 33 PSI cold. I normally carry 35-36 for two reasons: The car handles slightly better and my tires leak about one PSI every 4-5 weeks.

Don;t worry about how they look. Radial tires are supposed to have a slight bulge because of their construction. If it's not there, they are vastly overinflated.

Ditto about light truck tires. Who puts LT tires on a Santa Fe?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Higher pressure equals harsher rides especially with 18" rims. Stick to whats on you door pillar which is the spec for the standard tire size. Unless you carry a very heavy load in the rear inflating higher isn't recommended especially more than a few pounds.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
My tires are rated for 60 PSI Max so being almost 60 I dont think would lead them to failure.

This is why I suspect LT tires, which don't really belong on this vehicle.
Maybe the PO got them super cheap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you drive with tyres 10+ psi above recommended, they are going to wear in the centre of the tyre very quickly.

Why do you care what it LOOKS like?

Put the right pressure in and drive. (I have heard that incorrect pressure kills mileage too, but it also affects handling, braking, particularly in the wet and uneven wear) - your choice. You clearly care more about the appearance of roundness than the ability of your tyre to grip the road.................

Is tyre-roundness-appreciation even a thing?
Most cars do not bulge so something is not right for my wheels

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is why I suspect LT tires, which don't really belong on this vehicle.
Maybe the PO got them super cheap.
I am like 80% sure that I read 60 PSI on the side. I cannot check since i am out of town until next week.

I got these tires with the car when I bought it last Winter. I have barely driven 2000 miles on them. I am planning to change them around winter time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts