Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Accent GS - 75,000 miles. I want to replace the plugs and thus have been looking for torque recomendations. This form suggested 17 to 21 ft lb's. The NGK web site says :

NGK 93815 SILZKR6B10E Laser Iridium Plug :
Torque Specs: Aluminum: 10.8-14.5 lb. ft.

I assume the heads are aluminum
Does anyone have any suggestions on wich range to use ???

Many Thanks

·
Registered
245 Posts
I use 14 ft/lbs. As I recall the factory service manual sort of vaguely suggests to use the value supplied by the spark plug maker. So since you are using the NGK original equipment plug, using that torque value as supplied by NGK's product info seems completely reasonable. I have replaced my plugs once, and reinstalled the current set once. I may have used 12ft/lbs when I first put the new plugs in - but they had virgin crush washers then. That's in the middle of the range given by NGK. However, I definitely used 14 ft/lbs when reinserting them. Doesn't seem to have blown anything up - at least so far.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you

Thank you for your input. I have done hundreds of plugs but this seemed a little too close to not seek advise. The whole idea of a 100 K plug is amazing in the first place. I remember doing my VW plugs every 6 to 9 months.

Again , thank you:laugh:

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
The 2012 Accent service manual recommends between 7.2 and 8.7 lb-ft. So I guess ~8 ft-lbs would be good.

I've never torqued spark plugs. (I've changed plugs in over a dozen different vehicles through the years). I generally just wipe a bit of anti-seize on the threads, snug them down and then give them an extra 1/4 turn.

The manual doesn't say to add anti seize, but I like to when putting plugs in aluminum heads. I've had some get really stuck on me.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I have a 2012 Accent GS - 75,000 miles. I want to replace the plugs and thus have been looking for torque recomendations. This form suggested 17 to 21 ft lb's. The NGK web site says :

NGK 93815 SILZKR6B10E Laser Iridium Plug :
Torque Specs: Aluminum: 10.8-14.5 lb. ft.

I assume the heads are aluminum
Does anyone have any suggestions on wich range to use ???

Many Thanks
NGK 93815 SILZKR6B10E Laser Iridium Plug Specifications
• Warranty: 1 Year
• Torque Specs: Cast Iron: 10.8-18 lb. ft. Aluminum: 10.8-14.5 lb. ft.
• Brand: NGK
• Heat Range: 6
• Longevity: 100k Miles
• Features: Special Resistor

I would go with the NGK torque figures as per above extract from NGK.
NGK do not recommend anti seize as all modern spark plugs use nickel body construction and in any case anti seize can wick down the plug if not carefully applied and cause misfiring. Anti seize can bake into the threads and create all sorts of problems. I have seen this happen. One may elect to use anti seize on older steel body spark plugs.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
1,603 Posts
The 2012 Accent service manual recommends between 7.2 and 8.7 lb-ft. So I guess ~8 ft-lbs would be good.

I've never torqued spark plugs. (I've changed plugs in over a dozen different vehicles through the years). I generally just wipe a bit of anti-seize on the threads, snug them down and then give them an extra 1/4 turn.

The manual doesn't say to add anti seize, but I like to when putting plugs in aluminum heads. I've had some get really stuck on me.
NGK specifically says not to use anti sieze, it can affect the grounding of the plug. All NGK for about the past 10 yr the threads are coated to prevent problems with alloy or aluminum heads.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
NGK specifically says not to use anti sieze, it can affect the grounding of the plug. All NGK for about the past 10 yr the threads are coated to prevent problems with alloy or aluminum heads.

I've never used NGK and have never seen those instructions on any other plug I've used..... But it's a good point. Read the label :)

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
Live and learn!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts