Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... we took delivery of my wife's new 2013 Accent SE back in January 2013. She had racked up an impressively low 1,000 miles by October, so after 9 months and just because I couldn't stand it any more, I did an oil change and put in Mobil 1 (maybe overkill, but at least I don't have to worry about it).

So, we're approaching a year from delivery and based on the fact that she only averages about 5 miles a day, I was going to start a 6 month service interval in January (ignoring for the moment, the fact that I put in full synthetic in October). However, when I went on the "My Hyundai" site to see exactly what they recommended for the 7,500 and 15,000 mile services (which would be annual if I was going by time and not mileage), it recommended a 3,750 mile interval (no mention of time at all), even after I had plugged in current mileage and average miles per day! At that rate, I would only have to take it in a little more often than once every four years!

That can't be their honest recommendation and I can't imagine letting the oil go 4 years between changes, even if it is synthetic, not to mention inspection of the other stuff on the list.

I sent an e-mail to customer service and I can't wait to see what response I get. In the meantime, I thought I'd ask here... what would you guys do? Stick with a 3,750 mile interval and to **** with the time frame involved, or go for every 6 months just for good measure?

-Rob

·
Registered
893 Posts
Interesting question and I'm sure you'll get a lot of opinions.

Mine is that if the car is being used often but for very short trips, then I'd change the oil at least yearly and if you really wanted to be conservative, every six months. This is to handle the issue that the car never gets completely warmed up during the short trips and therefore the oil tends to build up moisture and corrosives.

If the low miles are due instead to taking long but infrequent trips, you could probably go somewhat longer. Oil does not deteriorate just sitting in the crankcase and folks who own collector cars which might be driven a few times in a year, don't need to change oil that might have been only used for an hour or two.

Annual oil changes are often recommended by the car mfgs in low utilization situations. I think you'd be fine with this. Figuring out some way to take the car on a longer trip now and then to get the engine fully warmed up every few weeks would be good too, both for the oil and for the rest of the car. If you take another car on trips, do a swap now and then.... the Accent is a surprisingly-nice road trip car and gets great mileage. You're also leaving "on the table" a lot of warranty mileage and anything you could do to shift miles to the Accent would reduce the risk you'll have a warranty problem that will be denied on the Accent because of calendar expiration.

- Mark

·
Registered
940 Posts
Infrequent, short-duration drives put you in the "severe condition" category. That's 3,750 or 6 months.

Moisture condenses inside the engine, gets mixed into the oil when the engine runs. The longer it sits without running, the more it's exposed to day/night temperature changes and thus more condensate. The shorter the drive, the less moisture will evaporate. (The result of moisture blended into oil is sludge. Also reduced lubricating efficiency because water doesn't lubricate like oil.).

So, if you only drive once per month but it's a 200 mile drive (which will boil out the water) it's not as bad as once per week for only 2 miles. In other words, you have to balance these factors.

I'm in a similar category as you. I've had my car 16 months and driven 3,400 miles. I've changed the oil three times. I talked to the service manager at the dealership. He said if I only drive 1-2 times per month I could change the oil annually.

But, I've been driving a little more. So, I've tried to do 6 months. I think oil is cheap insurance. (I don't invest in synthetic, so that's why it's cheap to me. With synthetic, you might feel better about going a year.).

You should call your dealer's service department and explain your driving conditions (interval between driving, length of drive). Ask them what to do.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
Dealer will always do the shorter interval.

IMO 1 year with synhetic ( I have actually gone 18 months easily on synthetic but for the faint of heart 1 year is good). As noted, the real key is if you drive that car for 10 miles or so most of the time after starting it to burn off the condensation. If you do that than a year on dino is fine as well. Few if any engines fail due to not doing oil changes more often than manual recommends. Everything else will fail first, oil related issues are extremely uncommon whether you go 3000 miles or 1,0000 between changes. The dealer's schedule is not the same as the manufacturer, dealers just want the $$$

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Infrequent, short-duration drives put you in the "severe condition" category. That's 3,750 or 6 months.
I'm absolutely working under the "severe condition" category. She drives most often to our local park, grocery stores, or retail mecca - none of which are more than 2 miles away.

I'm also a bit of a car guy and understand about oil & condensation. I just haven't really ever considered her driving habits and this is the first new car she's had that I've taken care of, so it was a novel question to me. (By comparison, I have a 38 mile commute - one way, and average about 36K per year.)

What really threw me, however, was the website failing to recommend the 6-month cap on the otherwise-recommended 3,750 interval, even after I had plugged in the mileage figures. Why would it ask how many miles and daily average if it doesn't use them to formulate a service schedule?

Anyway - I think what I'm going to do is stick with my original plan. I'll take it in for scheduled service every 6 months, starting in a few weeks (1 year anniversary). That will make this the equivalent of the 7,500 / 1 yr. service, only I'll tell them to skip the oil change this time since I just put in the Mobil 1 in October - that can wait another 6 mos. easily. I'll pay them for the multi-point inspection, or whatever else it is that they do, and bring it back in July for the next go-around.

If I get any different feedback from corporate, I'll be sure to post it.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
OMG, never go to a dealer and say to do the XXX miles service. that is a huge rip off. Just have them do any required maintenance that is in the manual, the rest are all inspections and whether they inspect them or not makes no difference, if they fail they are under warranty but to pay them to inspect $$$$. Only the actual maint that is in the manual like oil, filters, about it at one year. the rest is crap. Anything they find in a multi point is under warranty anyway except for tires, brakes, wipers etc. You can inspect these yourself but at 7,500 come on,. nothing to inspect!!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Dealer will always do the shorter interval.
That's not true in my case. My dealer said I was ok with 1-year if driving infrequently (and short distances).

It's true dealers have a profit motive and are inclined to sell more expensive service. But, not always.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I bought my 2013 Accent in October of 2012 and currently have 1,700 miles on it (I average 25 miles/week). The dealership said that unless I take a long trip or my driving habits change to bring it in every six months for an oil change.

·
Banned
532 Posts
Severe sounds hypocritical but your are under severe driving conditions like az2008 states.

Defer to your warranty book, in the grand scheme of a 10 year warranty it's 5 oil changes even at $40.00 those extra ones are only $200.00. Even if the dealer say's it ok to go once a year HMA is the manufacturer along with the one providing and authorizing any warranty work.

Plus, what are the chance's the same service manager will be there in year 8 and remember the conversation if theres an engine issue?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I would go 6 months max. Even if I wasn't putting many miles on the car during half the year - like if I did most of my driving in the Accent during warm weather and drove a 4x4 during the cold months. Changing the oil regularly is important for your protection in a warranty claim situation. If you change it yourself, keep receipts and document what you're doing (like at the myhyundai website for your car). If you change the oil only once a year, I'd make it Mobil 1 Extended Performance. There is some verbiage at Mobil's site about Extended Performance being guaranteed good for yearly oil change intervals. Don't know how useful that would be in a warranty dispute with Hyundai, but it's something more than is claimed for the regular Mobil 1 synthetic. I've been using Mobil 1, changing it on a conventional oil schedule, and recently I've switched to Extended Performance as it's only 2 dollars more for the 5 qt jug at Waldemort. Even though the Mobil 1 E-P has a 15,000 mile drain interval claim on the jug, I'll be keeping to the 3,750 mile schedule while the powertrain warranty lasts.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
2800 in 16 months. My Dealer provides free oil changes (synthetic blend he says). It's either what the manual says, or 6 months. So far I've gotten the latter. My thought is, if the motor blows, it's on him since he set the schedule.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I'm impressed. So I took the car in this morning for what I had scheduled as a 12 month service appointment. First thing they did was check the alignment in the check-in bay even before I had spoken with the service advisor. I explained that I had just changed the oil w/ Mobil 1 in October (and less than 200 miles ago), and I really just needed them to run down the rest of the 12 month checklist.

He checked for recall notices and then handed me my keys and advised me that the only thing they'd really do other than to top off the fluids and do a visual inspection of hoses, belts, etc. (which I do anyway) would be to rotate the tires, but at 1,200 miles, that's unnecessary (no kidding), so I really didn't need to be there.

I told him that the only reason I had scheduled the service was to be absolutely sure that I remained in the good graces of Hyundai's warranty requirements. He assured me that Hyundai really only cares that you're changing your oil at least every 6 months (in the case of low mileage vehicles) and rotating tires/checking alignment every 7,500 miles.

They could have gotten a good half hour of labor out of me, which I would have been happy to pay for the reasons stated, but were completely honest and sent me on my way (with a free alignment check).

Well done, Heritage Hyundai (Towson, MD)! That's all the convincing I need to let them change the oil from here on out.

-Rob

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
. I've been using Mobil 1, changing it on a conventional oil schedule, and recently I've switched to Extended Performance as it's only 2 dollars more for the 5 qt jug at Waldemort. Even though the Mobil 1 E-P has a 15,000 mile drain interval claim on the jug, I'll be keeping to the 3,750 mile schedule while the powertrain warranty lasts.

Wow, talk about overkill. Your engine will last 300,000 miles while someone doing 7,500 on the same oil will also last 300,000 miles. Problem is both cars will be sitting in a salvage yard as other components will fail first and not be worth repairing. .

·
Registered
226 Posts
yeah, it's overkill, no argument. But the severe duty interval is mandatory where I live. So it's 3,750 miles whether I use the best or the worst oil available. Then I compare the costs of the overkill oil ~ $19.6 for 3.5 qts (plus ~$6 oem filter) vs the ~$50 bulk oil change at the Jiffy Lube patronized by millions of my fellow suckers -uh I mean millions of my fellow citizens. On that view, you come out way ahead changing your own oil out with Mobil1 or Pennzoil Platinum, or whatever. And that's not even considering the that QuickieLube places have been known to short customers on the amount of oil they put in (happened to me), or do things like not tightening up the drain bolt properly, resulting in the destruction of an engine (this happened to my sister once). The local Hyundai dealer put in a different weight oil without telling me, on the one occasion I gave them to change my oil (brand? not even stated on the invoice). So I change it myself now. I know what's in there and can trust how it was done. That's worth plenty of money to me - much more than the cost of the tools I had to buy. While it may be overkill to use Mobil1 in a car like the Accent because the electrical system or the chassis will probably be clapped out long before the engine, there's also the question of how the engine feels during the latter half of the car's life. I'd prefer to delay the onset of worn out engine symptoms if I can, even knowing that there will eventually be something else that will become a problem that costs more to fix than the car is worth. A sick, worn engine is a constant agony.

·
22,793 Posts
Stick with a 3,750 mile interval and to **** with the time frame involved, or go for every 6 months just for good measure?

-Rob
Rob, the dealer will probably replace the muffler more times than you will replace the oil. LOL Those short trips don't really warn up the exhaust system enough to dry out the condensation that's formed inside. I work with a guy that lives about one and a half miles from our hospital. His truck is 3 years old and already 2 mufflers have been replaced.

On the oil? NO sooner than 6 months. And if synthetic? I'd shoot for a year. But don't scrimp on filters. Buy the Hyundai filter. You're one of the lucky ones. That car's going to get "+" value added on trade-in for low mileage. Makes a nice incentive to a prospective buyer wandering around the dealer's used car lot.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Rob, the dealer will probably replace the muffler more times than you will replace the oil. LOL Those short trips don't really warn up the exhaust system enough to dry out the condensation that's formed inside.
No kidding! I live 1.2 miles from work and had to replace the muffler three times over a nine year period on my last car (Ford Focus). I'm hoping my Hyundai muffler will will last longer, but I'm not laying any bets on that. :rolleyes:

·
22,793 Posts
No kidding! I live 1.2 miles from work and had to replace the muffler three times over a nine year period on my last car (Ford Focus). I'm hoping my Hyundai muffler will will last longer, but I'm not laying any bets on that. :rolleyes:
Dena, I'm under the impression it's a "stainless steel" system. You're going to test this and find out way quicker than I am! :grin:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts