Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, guys. I can drive stick but my only experience on it is on the street (as in traffic). So pretty much, usually it goes

1. brake
2. stay in 3rd (even though I should probably in 2nd)
3. start steering.. then accelerate in a very low RPM, or downshift

Sometimes, I'll even just put it into neutral then pop it right back in 2nd.

Anyways, I'm not racing so I'm fine with that, but I started thinking. I come from a motorcycle background (got that license first, don't ask) and have track experience. Usually, I'm doing this before entering the corner

1. brake and set corner speed
2. down shift to appropriate gear, blip the throttle
3. enter the corner

So my question is, it's basically the same if I'm driving a standard card, isn't it? I should scrap my "street" habit and do something similar

1. brake and set corner speed (should I be in neutral WHILE braking? or just leave it in the current gear and I should only hit neutral when downshifting or when it has to be in neutral while double clutching)
2. downshift to proper gear and RPM
3. steer

Also, I've been told not to double clutch (talking about street/traffic still) with most cars these days. I, on the other hand, do it since that's how I got in the habit of doing (clutch disengaged, neutral, disengaged, gas, disengaged, shift down, engage/gas).

With that in mind, I always wondered why I can't just hold the clutch in while blipping the gas pedal.

Note: when I say traffic, I mean normal driving. I'm not racing or anything like that.

·
Registered
268 Posts
The whole idea of double clutching is to get the speed/rpm of the clutch disc, trans input shaft matched to the higher rpm required to mesh with the lower gear selected. If you hold the clutch down while in neutral you are actually making things worse since you are allowing the clutch disc/trans input shaft's rpm to decrease even more causing a higher difference between the meshing gears. Make sence?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts