Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if someone is familiar with these issues - but recently I have overheating issues with my old Elantra.

I discovered the fan was not comiing on when the AC was off - yet turns on when I turn on the AC but the secondary AC compressor fan does not unless I give it a spin first. (I am in Arizona so AC is rather important)

So know the fan motor for the radiator is not faulty, and the gauge in the car shows temp accurately, so am thinking the gauge takes that info from the coolant sending unit - so that is likely not faulty. Am leaning now towards a fault with the ECT sensor which would be the piece that "tells" the radiator fan to come on - but not sure if problem may be with one of the relays instead.

SO essentially two problems that may or may not be intertwined. With AC turned off the radiator fan never comes on, despite the gauge showing I think correct operating temp. 2nd problem is the 2nd AC fan doesnt come on with AC on unless getting a "push" from me.

I show other signs I think of the ECT sensor being bad - that while it starts okay since I think that sensor is stuck on a "cold" state, but when warmed up is not so smooth and mileage seems poor which would come from the air fuel mixture never being adjusted for a warmed-up state.

Any thoughts on this scenario?

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
I think you need to do some basic electrical tests checking some power and earths as well as a possible relay. The ECT can be viewed with a scan tool before condemning it. The only time I had a problem with a ECT sensor was a scale buildup on the sensor bulb which worked fine after cleaning.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
16,105 Posts
SO essentially two problems that may or may not be intertwined. With AC turned off the radiator fan never comes on, despite the gauge showing I think correct operating temp.
Where does the gauge needle normally sit? Generally the fan wont switch on until the needle is a little past half way across the gauge. But, as @charlescrown says, it would be best to use the data list on an OBD2 scan tool to monitor the coolant temperature. The sensor data on the scan tool comes from the same sensor that controls the fan. The gauge on the instrument cluster is controlled by a different sensor.

davehhyundai said:
2nd problem is the 2nd AC fan doesnt come on with AC on unless getting a "push" from me...So know the fan motor for the radiator is not faulty
Actually, what you describe does sound like a faulty fan motor to me. There is obviously power & ground being supplied to the motor if it is able to run once you give it a push.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you need to do some basic electrical tests checking some power and earths as well as a possible relay. The ECT can be viewed with a scan tool before condemning it. The only time I had a problem with a ECT sensor was a scale buildup on the sensor bulb which worked fine after cleaning.
Thank you for replying. I looked at the ECT and suprised it has I guess the sensor bulb - is that on the opposite side of the connector? Mine was just hanging out in air so wondering if that needs to be inserted into somewhere and came out? Sorry for my stupidity - used to work on my 94 Nissan 300x but had more time in those days to research stuff. Mine is of course connected to the 2 wire harness but the other end just hangs out, which I only realized today when looking at it. I dont have a multimeter and could get one but often on these things the pattern of failure indicates the source of it Thank you sorry for my dumbness

·
Registered
4,655 Posts
Mine was just hanging out in air
Really! Whats been going on with your engine? I have once and only once seen one break apart. Is it actually broken with the bulb part still inside the head? I don't suppose your looking at an air temp sensor that's been left unplugged from the air box? It should have gone into limp mode and logged a code if it's the coolant temp sensor.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Really! Whats been going on with your engine? I have once and only once seen one break apart. Is it actually broken with the bulb part still inside the head? I don't suppose your looking at an air temp sensor that's been left unplugged from the air box? It should have gone into limp mode and logged a code if it's the coolant temp sensor.
I need to take a 2nd look at it tomorrow as to what I thought I saw there cause this isnt making much sense! I assumed the wire off the ECT has to go to the car's computer, right?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did take a glance at that nonsense thing I said about the Intake temp unit - so in better light I could see how the CTS and the intake air units both plug into of course the main harness, but true that the air temp sensor had fallen out of the grommet, so I wll clean that up and put it back
I sort of doubt that having that out would be causing these problems though the measured temp of it out is likely higher than having it in the external intake stream probably causing the car to run lean once it warms up

I will also disconnect the CTS and clean that connection

1 - 7 of 7 Posts