Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can I just get a universal 50/50 mixed antifreeze. for my aluminum rad in a 2013 Elantra GT automatic. and can I get a suggestion on which one to buy from the auto supply store. should I buy premix, or buy concentrate? brands? etc.. thank you.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Carquest Weblink tells me On Your 2013 Elatra GT Coolant needs to be compatable with aluminuim engine. i still would recommend buying Hyundai coolant when i did mine on my santa fe dealer had 2 Types being both 100% Concentrated regular & Long Life green coolant that you mix in 50/50 using distilled water i ended up buying 2 jugs of the green Long Life and mixing it with distilled water your Elantra takes approximately 6.13 qt's You need to do at least 2 drain & fills inc. resevoir "3 drain and fills

if You want to be absolutley thorough on getting all old fluid drained out." little Tip i can give You. best way i found to do drain and fills is "Only when engine is cold" set your heater to hot then drain coolant out You can fill it up run the engine with the rad cap off to let air bublles out when You see coolant starting to rise from the rad neck cap it off & drive it for a day or 2 come back in the morning refill it and never worry about getting air in the cooling system. been doing it this way for the Longest time ever never ever once had any issues with air in the cooling system.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, right off the bat, I have to say, I'm going to require further explanation to connect the dots. can u tell me step by step your procedure again? I mean, I think you know what your doing, but I'm still not getting it. I have an Elantra gt 2013 automatic. I don't know what the symptoms of air in the cooling system look like, so can't say if there is an issue there. but I think it would be so cool if I could do this myself. Do you need to hoist at all or can it be done on the ground? thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
844 Posts
OK, right off the bat, I have to say, I'm going to require further explanation to connect the dots. can u tell me step by step your procedure again? I mean, I think you know what your doing, but I'm still not getting it. I have an Elantra gt 2013 automatic. I don't know what the symptoms of air in the cooling system look like, so can't say if there is an issue there. but I think it would be so cool if I could do this myself. Do you need to hoist at all or can it be done on the ground? thanks for all your help.
check out videos on internet.... some are specific to the Elantra... some are generic with specific Elantra tips.
here are two I viewed.... should get you started.

this shows how to drain coolant on the Elantra.... but missing the procedure to flush out all the old coolant, refill and burp system
Elantra coolant drain

This is partly Elantra specific, and partly generic, but shows the whole process of draining, flushing, refilling and burping the system with some detail.
Drain, flush, refill and burp system

Enjoy the job. My 2013 GT is also due for this work.

·
Registered
26 Posts
CarCareKiosk

I put a link to Car Care Kiosk.They have a few guides to do maintenance in various vehicles, including our GT’s. We have a basic or traditional cooling system so flushing and burping system is easy. The drain valve is white plastic and you can reach down and open with your hand. No need to jack up car. It’s ridiculous easy.

I had a BMW 335i before my GT and that had a pressurized system where there is no radiator cap and the reservoir has the pressure cap. It had an electric water pump that you do various things to turn it on and also a bleeder valve. It was very important to burp that system. You also had to jack up the car, remove the big splash shield, etc. I say all this to contrast how easy and straight forward it is to work on our GT’s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts