Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just discovered new Elantra with 4500 miles has coolant level down at "L" Need to go on road trip tomorrow morning.

Manual says simply

"Phosphate based Ethylene Glycol for aluminum radiator"

Is this just classic "green stuff" coolant, like at any autoparts store?

What do I put in?

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
Just discovered new Elantra with 4500 miles has coolant level down at "L" Need to go on road trip tomorrow morning.

Manual says simply

"Phosphate based Ethylene Glycol for aluminum radiator"

Is this just classic "green stuff" coolant, like at any autoparts store?

What do I put in?
The green stuff! There are two, the 50%/50% (premixed) and the straight shot! If you are just going to pour some in the overflow bottle, I would use the regular one!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Zerex (now Valvoline) Asian coolant meets specs for imports and is available at Walmart.

Distilled water also works fine in the overflow tank and the effect on the overall coolant mixture is negligible.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all, I bought some Waldemort Supertech ethylene glycol based coolant 50/50 premixed and added it in. (added a little too much actually, and had a wonderful time syphoning it back down to "F" due to the convoluted interior of the Elantra reservoir)

I am very concerned about how it could happen that a car with only 4,500 miles on the clock could already be down to "L" on its coolant. I wouldn't have even looked at the coolant tank if I hadn't been filling the windshield wiper fluid tank ahead of this trip. The wiper fluid was low, like out of sight low, which I thought was pretty dang weird since the car sits in a garage. Coolant was - well where was the coolant? Must be OK because I can't even see the level. Perhaps it's clear. Let's stick the light source way down, an arm's length down from the hood and look again... Hang on, the level is way, way down there near the "L"! WTF!!!!

I don't know what exactly besides the windshield wiper level made me curious about the coolant level, but I'm glad I looked! Brother-in-Law or sister will be driving my mother from Atlanta area into NC hurricane impact zone tomorrow AM. Neither one have first clue about cars, or what to do in car related emergencies. Not the sort of trip or weather you can afford to be having any kind of car troubles.

The most/only benign explanation for the low coolant situation I can come up with is that coolant was simply never properly, fully filled in dealer-prep to begin with. This coolant was a leetle notch down below "L", guys. You begin to worry about head gaskets and stuff like that. And yet no spots of anything on garage floor to indicate any gross leakage going on. No dashboard light warnings as yet, or unexpected temp gauge readings, but... Holy Cowpies! Low coolant is something that should never happen with a "new car". It bears watching for sure.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
With my Elantra that is normal. Manual says to check the coolant when you check the oil. So I was doing it weekly. The first week I noticed coolant was at the low mark. In my case I just added a little distilled water to get it above low mark. It just goes to the low mark or a little lower over time, no matter how many times I add water. It never goes lower than that. At this point I consider it the nature of the car. Hope I am right. At 13k it stays right around low mark no matter what I do.

I did buy Toyota coolant to top off a 2001 RX300. Same thing. Coolant was at or below low mark. The coolant I added to bring it closer to full would be gone in no time and it would be at the low or a little below low mark. Did that for the 25k I maintained it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
4500 mile,, visit dealer service and have them top it off with "LONG LIFE".. surely somebody in shop has open bottle from doing WARRANTY engine replacement... factory fill is LONG LIFE (dark green)

Tell the advisor fella that (text in blue)..

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Thanks all, I bought some Waldemort Supertech ethylene glycol based coolant 50/50 premixed and added it in. (added a little too much actually, and had a wonderful time syphoning it back down to "F" due to the convoluted interior of the Elantra reservoir)

I am very concerned about how it could happen that a car with only 4,500 miles on the clock could already be down to "L" on its coolant. I wouldn't have even looked at the coolant tank if I hadn't been filling the windshield wiper fluid tank ahead of this trip. The wiper fluid was low, like out of sight low, which I thought was pretty dang weird since the car sits in a garage. Coolant was - well where was the coolant? Must be OK because I can't even see the level. Perhaps it's clear. Let's stick the light source way down, an arm's length down from the hood and look again... Hang on, the level is way, way down there near the "L"! WTF!!!!

I don't know what exactly besides the windshield wiper level made me curious about the coolant level, but I'm glad I looked! Brother-in-Law or sister will be driving my mother from Atlanta area into NC hurricane impact zone tomorrow AM. Neither one have first clue about cars, or what to do in car related emergencies. Not the sort of trip or weather you can afford to be having any kind of car troubles.

The most/only benign explanation for the low coolant situation I can come up with is that coolant was simply never properly, fully filled in dealer-prep to begin with. This coolant was a leetle notch down below "L", guys. You begin to worry about head gaskets and stuff like that. And yet no spots of anything on garage floor to indicate any gross leakage going on. No dashboard light warnings as yet, or unexpected temp gauge readings, but... Holy Cowpies! Low coolant is something that should never happen with a "new car". It bears watching for sure.
Most dealer PDI tech dont bother to top stuff off,, remember the car was filled, and has no run time on it to circulate and burp.. The bottle is just to catch expansion from main system,, and then provide back when cold... as long as there is juice in the bottle,, main cooling is full..

When I did PDI, I would fill them up to "F: and let time - burp sort it out

I get cars from our oil change kids the need "technical" work after they done, majority of them come over with out bottles being juiced up to somewhere between L & F..

Reactions: solman98

·
22,788 Posts
@sbr711, and others of this thread: I keep pretty close watch on mine. It seems to hover religiously right about midway of L and H. And has done so for my 29 months of ownership. Can say the same thing for my engine oil level, checked every 2 weeks, or so. Another “Ho-Hum” moment. Add brake fluid level to the boring event.:grin:

My only thrill comes from opening the big jug of Rain-X washer solvent and filling the reservoir every month, as needed. So, between that and the PSI game I play with tire pressure uniformity, this is the highlight of my PM’s. This Elantra lets me do just enough PM services to her but not so many as to mess it up. She lets me think I’m in charge. And that’s okay, too!

Reactions: NDSE

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With my Elantra that is normal. Manual says to check the coolant when you check the oil. So I was doing it weekly. The first week I noticed coolant was at the low mark. In my case I just added a little distilled water to get it above low mark. It just goes to the low mark or a little lower over time, no matter how many times I add water. It never goes lower than that. At this point I consider it the nature of the car. Hope I am right. At 13k it stays right around low mark no matter what I do.

I did buy Toyota coolant to top off a 2001 RX300. Same thing. Coolant was at or below low mark. The coolant I added to bring it closer to full would be gone in no time and it would be at the low or a little below low mark. Did that for the 25k I maintained it.

Thanks, I'll be watching this item very closely from now on. I would say that the added coolant volume that raised a "L" reading to above F did not seem very much at all. I really thought I was putting in a trivial amount, given how low the tank showed, but I was quickly in excess. Too much coolant is also bad, I guess for pressure related reasons. My fluid transfer pump with a skinny hose saved the day. (The weird inner convolutions of the reservoir make subtraction of excess coolant pretty ^%$*ing difficult. Skinny hose gallantly went above and beyond, and is owed the thanks of a grateful nation) So a tightly bracketed calibration of the reservoir -the smallis difference between L and F- is probably a factor here. That's not at all like my Accent. L and F are very far apart there by comparison. Several years could go by before F becomes L there.

Even if it's not a huge amount of coolant lost in absolute terms, still I wonder where it's going? I'm sending the jug of antifreeze along on the trip, just in case. If level is back down to L or anywheres near that vicinity, the dealership will be asked to account for it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Even if it's not a huge amount of coolant lost in absolute terms, still I wonder where it's going? I'm sending the jug of antifreeze along on the trip, just in case. If level is back down to L or anywheres near that vicinity, the dealership will be asked to account for it.

It will be interesting to see what they say if you ask the dealership. Since my last car needed to be topped off when outside temps dropped I thought it was more of a weather related event. Like tire pressure seasonal changes. I did get my Elantra in February when it was very cold outside. Car was made around Thanksgiving when temps were warmer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
It will be interesting to see what they say if you ask the dealership. Since my last car needed to be topped off when outside temps dropped I thought it was more of a weather related event. Like tire pressure seasonal changes. I did get my Elantra in February when it was very cold outside. Car was made around Thanksgiving when temps were warmer.
I bought the car August 1st.

It is now September 30th and 2300 miles later.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
I had the same issue.. went to the dealer, bought a gallon of their high millage concentrate coolant for the 2017+ Elantra, and bought a gallon of distilled water, mixed a batch of 50/50 and topped it up..

I bought the car August 1st.

It is now September 30th and 2300 miles later.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
lamashill, mine was lower than that with less than that 70 miles on the car. Worked a double shift right after picking up the car and I noticed it was very low. It was the weekend then so topping it off with distilled water made more sense. The 50/50 topping off with Hyundai LL and distilled water seems the more ideal way to handle it if you top it off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you to everyone that replied. I called the dealership. They said an appointment has to be made and they have to check for leaks/problems etc. Forget that. I'll just buy the coolant and do a 50/50 mixture of distilled water and call it a day myself instead of wasting an hour there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts