Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am experiencing some coolant loss. After 800 miles the coolant level in the expansion tank went from half to minimum level. I do not think this is normal. Checked under the hood and could not see any trace of leaking. Also under the car there is no coolant on the garage floor. Did anybody else lost any coolant??

·
Registered
57 Posts
QUOTE (tibike @ May 11 2010, 06:01 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321917
I am experiencing some coolant loss. After 800 miles the coolant level in the expansion tank went from half to minimum level. I do not think this is normal. Checked under the hood and could not see any trace of leaking. Also under the car there is no coolant on the garage floor. Did anybody else lost any coolant??

Are you checking the level when the car is hot or cold?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (Spookpur @ May 11 2010, 07:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321918
Are you checking the level when the car is hot or cold?
First time after I picked the car up from the dealer I am not sure but today the engine was hot. I looked at the level before and I can't see a big difference between hot or cold. What I noticed one tine with engine warm but not hot I opened the cap on the radiator and the level jumped up one or two eights of an inch. The radiator was full.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm at just over 1000km and when I went to install my hid on the weekend noticed my levels were below the low marking on the overflow tank. Went to dealer today and they added some more. Apparently it takes some time for all the air bubbles to leave the system so as a bubble goes out fluid fills in and the fluid levelvin overflow will drop. Was told to monitor since the addition of coolant. It should drop toocmuch anymore, if it does then there is a problem. Think yours is same as mine, the system working out the bubbles. Just drop by a dealer and gave them top it off and then monitor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
QUOTE (Souks @ May 11 2010, 07:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321935
I'm at just over 1000km and when I went to install my hid on the weekend noticed my levels were below the low marking on the overflow tank. Went to dealer today and they added some more. Apparently it takes some time for all the air bubbles to leave the system so as a bubble goes out fluid fills in and the fluid levelvin overflow will drop. Was told to monitor since the addition of coolant. It should drop toocmuch anymore, if it does then there is a problem. Think yours is same as mine, the system working out the bubbles. Just drop by a dealer and gave them top it off and then monitor.
I was thinking the same thing and did not add anything just to see. Hoping the coolant does not go inside the engine. It seems to take a long time to work the bubbles out. Just went in the garage and opened the radiator cap and a big bubble went in the expansion tank. I will stop at the dealer to have it topped off. I am not sure what kind of coolant it is in it. I have some long life at home.

·
Registered
75 Posts
QUOTE (tibike @ May 11 2010, 06:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=321926
First time after I picked the car up from the dealer I am not sure but today the engine was hot. I looked at the level before and I can't see a big difference between hot or cold. What I noticed one tine with engine warm but not hot I opened the cap on the radiator and the level jumped up one or two eights of an inch. The radiator was full.
Do not open a radiator cap when it is hot, not even warm if possible. If you need to open it, open it when it is cold.
You can check the level on a reservoir (a plastic box, mostly white) and add in there if needed.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Took my car to the dealership today and they filled the coolant to level and said that it was probably air. The other explanation was evaporating. That coming from the service manager sound ridiculous. I will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They said the coolant is for 30000miles only. Maybe Hyundai needs to discover " long life coolant" for 150000 miles.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (OMEGA_WEAPON @ May 12 2010, 09:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322303
You use coolant that lasts for 30k miles? I know you can't be serious. What brand of coolant is that? One winter in chicago temperatures and one bottle doesn't even last a month.
I am not sure i understand your replay. The service manager topped my coolant reservoir and I asked him if this is long life coolant because I have some at home just in case I might needed it. He said it is not and needs changed at 30k.

·
Registered
589 Posts
To completely purge cooling system from air takes many complete heating/cooling cycles, so it's perfectly normal having to top off reservoir tank. It's still advisable to check for leaks on a new car, but if you don't smell anything funky in the engine compartment, and level goes from max to min (or just a bit below), it'd be normal. Only advice is to add whatever the car came with, meaning we need to ask dealer what they use. I prefer to buy a gallon and do the topping off myself.

Does anybody know what this car uses? By the color, I'm betting some 'proprietary' stuff, like most manufacturers. Guess we have to buy it there until it's time to replace it.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
QUOTE (tibike @ May 12 2010, 08:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=322298
They said the coolant is for 30000miles only. Maybe Hyundai needs to discover " long life coolant" for 150000 miles.
And you get to discover what a cooling system full of orange-brown rust and really foul smeeling stuff is..

I dont care what coolant you use. I'm on the 2-3 yr plan... 322,000 on my daily driver, you wanna tear mine down for inspection ? Replaced 1 radiator, it rotted from outside, foil weave fell out as dust.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (sbr711 @ May 15 2010, 01:09 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=323148
And you get to discover what a cooling system full of orange-brown rust and really foul smeeling stuff is..
I'm completely with you on this, due to one simple fact: costs $20 to replace it. It's simply a no-brainer to me. And the same goes with brake fluid (that one costs $10): it should be replaced every 2 years (regardless of mileage) at the most, but I like to do it once a year, or 18 months max. Cheap insurance, and doesn't take me long to do.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts