Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
right good folk, my mighty t-can has been supremely reliable and major cost free BUT has got this persistent coolant loss problem I need to solve.

the problem, empties the expansion bottle from full to empty in a week.

what its not-

pressure tested-perfect

not rad cap-new one fitted

not head gasket.

any ideas what to check next gratefully received and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
its also not heater matrix, water pump, hoses and no leaks on floor-baffled! anyone any ideas please?

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
the problem with your initial assessment there is that there are only two options for coolant disappearing:

1. you're leaking it out somewhere.

2. its getting through the head or head gasket somehow and is being burned.

given that you have had the rad pressure tested, we have to rule out a leak with the coolant system itself.

someguy has a great thought with a leak in the overflow tank. the pressure test would not cover that.

but why so sure its not the head gasket? a pressure test won't always show a head gasket leak, especially a small one that is affected by thermal expansion when your engine warms up. remember engine compression is the highest pressure you have under the hood.

my course of action would be to check that expansion tank for cracks and leaks, the tubing from the rad to the tank for the same, a good visual inspection for leaks with a flashlight, and then do a compression test. only way you're going to find this is to check everything.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks fellas, will have another look over the weekend. ruling out h/gasket as no water in oil or oil in water, no emulsification whatsoever, temperature always perfect even under 3k kgs hard towing conditions. will have a long hard look at bottle itself and ancillary fittings but there seems to be no leak or wetness underneath it.:confused:

·
Registered
3,151 Posts
ruling out h/gasket as no water in oil or oil in water, no emulsification whatsoever, temperature always perfect even under 3k kgs hard towing conditions.
that is not conclusive proof that there is no head gasket issue. what it does tell us is that if there is an issue there it is a very small leak, but we already knew that from your coolant loss rate.

there may not be enough getting into the oil to cause visible contamination between oil changes. remember, most of that coolant will be burned in the cylinder and kicked out the exhaust. this is especially true with a small leak. no overheating just means you have no depleted the coolant system. again, we already knew that.

only conclusive proof here is one of three tests:
1. compression test
2. leak down test
3. chemical test that shows trace exhaust/fuel contamination in the coolant system...can't remember the name of it right now.

the chemical test is probably the most accurate, but any of those should do the trick.

that being said, yes i would check that overflow tank first. pull it out for inspection if you need to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts