Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra and was just told by the dealership i need a coolant flush which i bought into now learning a drain and fill would have been fine. When i got my bill they had a coolant disposal fee which cost more than the flush itself. can anyone confirm this was a scam? the flush cost 109$ the coolant disposal fee was 119$ also on a side note he upgraded my oil change to synthetic at no charge but i was under the impression if you go to synthetic you cannot go back to regular oil....he told me this was wrong. any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
$119 sounds way out of line for a disposal fee...never heard of anyone charging close to that! No problem going from syn to dino to blend to syn...or any combination there-of! (If you're adding try to stick with the same weight, but it's not critical)

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I have a 2014 Hyundai Elantra and was just told by the dealership i need a coolant flush which i bought into now learning a drain and fill would have been fine. When i got my bill they had a coolant disposal fee which cost more than the flush itself. can anyone confirm this was a scam? the flush cost 109$ the coolant disposal fee was 119$ also on a side note he upgraded my oil change to synthetic at no charge but i was under the impression if you go to synthetic you cannot go back to regular oil....he told me this was wrong. any thoughts on this?
I hope you didn't pay it - complete scam

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,840 Posts
Coolant is a great wood sweller and preservative. But I just dump it in the gravel. Most places just say dump in the drain.

·
Registered
13,373 Posts

Knowing where you are will certainly help. But it sounds like someone missed a decimal point, because usually coolant disposal is <$2.

If this was a Hyundai dealer I would go back there and ask (you didn't pay it, did you?!?!) and if they say that's right then contact Hyundai.

Was there a boat parked anywhere near the Service Department?

·
Registered
2008 Accent 3 dr 5 sp manual; 2010 Genesis Coupe 2LT track 6 sp manual
8,840 Posts
A wood sweller ? is there no censorship on this site.
It's great for loose hammer handles or post to be put into the ground. The ethylene glycol is absorbed into the cellulose and will not leave.....

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've had that done at a dealership and never paid for a disposal fee like that. My total cost may have been $119 or maybe $129 or something like that. Charging that much to dispose of it sounds like a ripoff. But - is this California? Maybe they passed some new wacko law and that is what it actually costs.

Otherwise, I'd file a complaint with the State Attorney General's office for price gouging. I'd complain. I'd do something!

·
22,793 Posts
That disposal fee almost put me into a seizure. I’m with the guys. I’d go back and raise all kinds of holy “you-know-what!”

Reactions: Old's Cool

·
Registered
80 Posts
Coolant disposal fee

If the dealership will not correct the charge I suggest you contact a television station in your locale that does consumer complaint investigations. That will get you a much quicker response than contacting your state's Attorney General. Get them to show you where they dispose of coolant and ask what company picks up the waste coolant. Then check to find out if they are actually getting the coolant picked up. If the recycling company is not picking up coolant at that location then you may have a notification for your state Environmental authority.
For anyone reading this, get your coolant checked by an organization that does this type of testing. You may be surprised to find out that your coolant is fine. These testing companies also test motor oil. If you are using a full synthetic (Mobil 1 is not a full synthetic) you may be surprised how long you can go between oil changes. Years ago I owned a new 1996 Impala SS and I used Texaco Synthetic motor oil in the engine. I had the oil checked by a firm that does this work for a living and the oil was still good at 25,000. They recommended I change it at 40,000 miles. Changing it before then was a waste of money and resources. I had it checked again at 40,000 miles and it was still good, though it was very black. I sold the car in 2009 when I went overseas and based upon testing, the oild was changed three time in 99,000 miles.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts