Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Price is what the computer says. Denying there is a radiator cap is either deception or stupidity, neither of which belongs in the face of a customer in any business looking to establish a good reputation.
Yeah I actually submitted a complaint, that jokster shouldn't be behind the counter. The guy I got when I picked up the cap seemed alright at least

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
first off, it is NOT the parts guy's fault. he is an employee there, so he has to abide by the rules set up by those who are a LOT higher up than he is. here is how it works. and this goes for every car dealer in the us. the dealership is a franchise. they are contractually bound to hyundai of north america. who supplies them with most of their parts. so, there is dealer cost(what the dealer pays hona for the part). then there is hyundai of north america "suggested" list price. dealers are not required to sell at this price, and very few do-over the counter. wholesale is a different game. then there is dealer's otc list price. what they do is look at actual dealer cost, then use their own price matrix to get to what each dealer determines is their list price. generally, it is more than double their cost, normal "suggested" hona list price is like dealer cost plus 50%. iow, if dealer cost on a part is 10 bucks, then hona "suggested" list price is 15, but local dealer would be more like 20 bucks. and more. all the parts guy does is put in the part number into his computer, and tell you what price the computer says. he dont make the rules. now, what i do is look online, because all online genuine parts places use hona suggested list price, then either discount off list, or go cost up. one place, parts.com, is the huge autonation group, and they go their cost plus 20% as their selling price. autonation will ship the part from the nearest dealer to you. case in point, i can go to a local dealer that is part of the autonation group, and get a part otc. but if i go online, and order from parts.com, that same part will be priced much less, and come from the same dealer. but i gotta wait. so if you think all dealer parts guys are trying to rip you off, YOU are the idiot
I dunno man, like if he was just honest to god saying that the computer says what it says sure. But he was giving me all kinds of attitude for it, like it was matter of fact that all cars in that year don't have the cap, and that I shouldn't be poking around at it like that. He could've just like called up one of the techs, or one of his higher ups who have seen plenty of those cars come through, and there's our answer. I usually order my parts online though, I was just desperate and didn't want to wait the time to get the part if this was going to turn into something serious. But hey luckily I didn't believe the guy, I would've been an idiot had I taken his word for it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Back to the initial issue, I have seen radiator caps loose their secondary seal (the one that allows a vacuum to draw the coolant back in) and it was evidenced by the level in the radiator being low when cold, and the overflow being full. Shouldn't happen. But if you are driving the car regularly and seeing a milky substance on the oil fill cap, and/or a chocolate milk look to the dipstick when checking the oil, the coolant system needs to be pressure tested and if a leak down is detected, a compression test on all cylinders to determine if the head gasket is leaking.

The downside to coolant leaks on many, not just Hyundai, modern engines is that while making the cooling system designs much more efficient, designers have greatly reduced the amount of coolant needed. As such, a seemingly small loss of coolant can quickly become an overheating situation and unfortunately cause a head gasket failure. Was very common on the earlier 2.0L used in the 2001 (?) to around 2010 Hyundai engine. If the thermostat stuck and you weren't paying attention to the temp gauge you would be looking at a head gasket replacement on short order. On the plus side, the head gasket was definitely the weakest link in the failure path and many engines suffered no further damage. Except for those operated by the totally oblivious who ignored the smell, steam, and gauge until the engine seized. They got new engines. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Back to the initial issue, I have seen radiator caps loose their secondary seal (the one that allows a vacuum to draw the coolant back in) and it was evidenced by the level in the radiator being low when cold, and the overflow being full. Shouldn't happen. But if you are driving the car regularly and seeing a milky substance on the oil fill cap, and/or a chocolate milk look to the dipstick when checking the oil, the coolant system needs to be pressure tested and if a leak down is detected, a compression test on all cylinders to determine if the head gasket is leaking.

The downside to coolant leaks on many, not just Hyundai, modern engines is that while making the cooling system designs much more efficient, designers have greatly reduced the amount of coolant needed. As such, a seemingly small loss of coolant can quickly become an overheating situation and unfortunately cause a head gasket failure. Was very common on the earlier 2.0L used in the 2001 (?) to around 2010 Hyundai engine. If the thermostat stuck and you weren't paying attention to the temp gauge you would be looking at a head gasket replacement on short order. On the plus side, the head gasket was definitely the weakest link in the failure path and many engines suffered no further damage. Except for those operated by the totally oblivious who ignored the smell, steam, and gauge until the engine seized. They got new engines. :)
I suppose I feel somewhat better. I'll tell you a little bit more about myself, I'm that one guy that's always staring at the temp gauge, checking the oil, checking under my car for leaks and paying attention to smoke coming out behind me, even the slightest noises, stuff like that, and I can say for certain overheating has never happened on my watch. I'm pretty OCD because of course I want to protect this financial asset of mine. I suspect I've noticed this issue early. If the car ever did overheat well it didn't happen on my watch (could the temp gauge itself ever fail though?), who knows if the previous owner took as good care of the vehicle, that's kind of what I'm questioning at this point, is the history of the vehicle. Carmax may not have been so honest about that :/

The only symptom I noticed at first was sloshing behind where the dash lights are, and as soon as that happened I noticed the overflow tank was empty, I topped it off, and burped air out. Sure enough no more noise until it got low again. Of course if this is a leak that wouldn't do much good haha. But the leak definitely isn't external. The latest symptoms i've noticed are a very residual amount of milkiness on the oil cap so not exactly like choclate milk more like oil with drips of milk on it (so far not the dipstick) but that could be because I refrained from driving the vehicle after noticing the latest symptoms, and a sweet exhaust smell from the tailpipe although no visible steam is coming out. I haven't driven the vehicle at all since noticing symptoms because I fear too much coolant will enter the engine if I do so and it is indeed a head gasket leak. I'm saving that last ride for my ride to the dealership.

My first suspicion per the thread was the radiator cap but I don't think I'm so lucky

Update: Overflow seems to behave normal, stays at the low when cold, the only odd thing is that the filler neck / radiator reservoir seems a bit below where the the top of the neck is, but it's still visible

·
Registered
148 Posts
first off, it is NOT the parts guy's fault. he is an employee there, so he has to abide by the rules set up by those who are a LOT higher up than he is. here is how it works. and this goes for every car dealer in the us. the dealership is a franchise. they are contractually bound to hyundai of north america. who supplies them with most of their parts. so, there is dealer cost(what the dealer pays hona for the part). then there is hyundai of north america "suggested" list price. dealers are not required to sell at this price, and very few do-over the counter. wholesale is a different game. then there is dealer's otc list price. what they do is look at actual dealer cost, then use their own price matrix to get to what each dealer determines is their list price. generally, it is more than double their cost, normal "suggested" hona list price is like dealer cost plus 50%. iow, if dealer cost on a part is 10 bucks, then hona "suggested" list price is 15, but local dealer would be more like 20 bucks. and more. all the parts guy does is put in the part number into his computer, and tell you what price the computer says. he dont make the rules. now, what i do is look online, because all online genuine parts places use hona suggested list price, then either discount off list, or go cost up. one place, parts.com, is the huge autonation group, and they go their cost plus 20% as their selling price. autonation will ship the part from the nearest dealer to you. case in point, i can go to a local dealer that is part of the autonation group, and get a part otc. but if i go online, and order from parts.com, that same part will be priced much less, and come from the same dealer. but i gotta wait. so if you think all dealer parts guys are trying to rip you off, YOU are the idiot
All that means nothing. You're just saying it's ok to be a crook. Keep justifying yourself.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
All that means nothing. You're just saying it's ok to be a crook. Keep justifying yourself.
lol I dunno if he was trying to defend them per se, I think he's just trying to make the case that the parts department gets their parts and schematics from the OEM which seems a bit obvious, and to go buy parts online instead. But I disagree with him in the sense that I'm pretty sure the parts guy really wasn't smart or just lazy, he could've checked several other ways to know what I wanted but he didn't and kept trying to talk me out of it even though I knew with 100% certainty that I've seen the same car in videos having a radiator cap

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Yeah... all he would of had to do was ask You for your Vehicle Vin number.?
that should of taken care of it right there.
[/QUOTE]

lmao he asked for the last 8 of my vin, you would think that would've taken care of it, but apparently it didn't come up for him like that either so he was just like oh yeah you had a radiator replacement probably aftermarket your model doesn't have a radiator cap, and I'm like wtf not while I've owned it.

But the proof is in the pudding everyone whos commented with the same car has it lol. What's worse was his attitude I don't think he wanted to find the part thinking I'd give up and pay for a new radiator or something even though clearly the vehicle has another issue and I don't need to pay for more than that

21 - 28 of 28 Posts