Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Santa Fe Limited 2.0T AWD Stormy Sea
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soon after I purchased my 2020 Limited 2.0T AWD last November I noticed that when I made or received a call while the HVAC fan was running on high the fan would drop to a low speed so it would be easier to hear my call. NIce little unexpected feature I never knew I'd like so much.

Have you come across any hidden/unexpected feature that you weren't expecting?

·
Registered
2020 SF Ultimate
55 Posts
Nothing unexpected or hidden so far [pretty much everything works as per manual].
The only thing I haven't tested is if the garage opener works when the car is locked. If so that would be an unexpected and unwanted feature.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing unexpected or hidden so far [pretty much everything works as per manual].
The only thing I haven't tested is if the garage opener works when the car is locked. If so that would be an unexpected and unwanted feature.
My experience with HomeLink mirrors is that they have power to them all the time so they'd likely work when the vehicle is off and locked. I'd say you would have to not use it to be totally safe. No different than leaving a garage door remote hanging on the visor. I'll do a quick test. So... I just hopped into the car on the passenger with no key near the vehicle. I locked the doors and waited 12 minutes (in case the safe exit assist or the rear occupant alert affected it...it's supposed to function for 10 minutes after shut-off). The HomeLink door buttons worked confirming my hypothesis.

·
Registered
2014 SFS Limited 2.0T
438 Posts
Why would that be unwanted? I would consider that a security feature.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why would that be unwanted? I would consider that a security feature.
Park you car outside of your garage someone could smash the window and open your garage? Maybe it goes off if the alarm system is triggered. Might have to test this (without breaking my window of course).

·
Registered
2014 SFS Limited 2.0T
438 Posts
Park you car outside of your garage someone could smash the window and open your garage? Maybe it goes off if the alarm system is triggered. Might have to test this (without breaking my window of course).
If someone smashes the window, they could hit the door unlock button if the door lock is the only thing limiting the opener. The opener should not work if the car does not detect the FOB in the vehicle, not based on the state of the door locks.

If you drive up to the garage door, why would you want to be forced to unlock your car doors to open the garage? Someone could be lurking in the bushes and car jack you the moment you unlocked the doors.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe SE AWD
11 Posts
Regarding the question in the original post, "Have you come across any hidden/unexpected feature that you weren't expecting?"

Here's one. When I started my car yesterday (2019 Santa Fe SE), a message came on the dashboard telling me that I was running low on windshield washer fluid. None of my previous cars had this feature. Very helpful! It's no fun to run out of washer fluid in an ice storm.

·
Registered
2020 SF Ultimate
55 Posts
If someone smashes the window, they could hit the door unlock button if the door lock is the only thing limiting the opener. The opener should not work if the car does not detect the FOB in the vehicle, not based on the state of the door locks.

If you drive up to the garage door, why would you want to be forced to unlock your car doors to open the garage? Someone could be lurking in the bushes and car jack you the moment you unlocked the doors.
Why would you be opening your garage when somebody is lurking in the bushes?

Anyway, to answer my own question just did some testing and homelink garage opener works under all conditions even without fob in the vehicle. I waited about an hour and crawled inside the vehicle through an opened window - homelink worked. As I only park in my garage 50% of the time I cleared programmed remotes.
I will see if it can be moved to a different fuse so it only has power when ignition is on.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
460 Posts
Then don't program the HomeLink, and just use the standard issue garage remotes and bring them inside each nite. My other car is a BMW, and it's the first car I've had with HomeLink (which I've had in my cars for 20 years) where the buttons don't work when the car is powered off. I think that's common in European cars, but I can't say for sure. My prior Acura, Honda, Lexus and Mazda all had HomeLink that worked when the car is off. So I guess most cars are "disappointing" in this regard.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T AWD
460 Posts
I was not stating fact. The word I used in "should" as in a perfect World.
Unnecessary complexity to do this. Just make the mirror not powered when the car is off. That's how my non-Hyundai vehicle works.

·
Registered
2014 SFS Limited 2.0T
438 Posts
Unnecessary complexity to do this. Just make the mirror not powered when the car is off.
I think we are saying the same thing. No complexity here...
If the car "did not" detect the FOB and it "did not" work unless the ignition was set to on or accessory, then the FOB would be required to power it. It is less complex that the original "only works if doors are unlocked" scenario.

·
Registered
112 Posts
If I leave my outside mirror switch selector to driver, the mirror moves down when in reverse...if the switch is left in the middle position, no mirror movement in reverse...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts