Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't you love it when someone somewhere decides to do something that for some reason screws you up and sends you down the rabbit hole? I'm assuming the techgods are playing. My phone, a moto g6 was working fine with the car. But I noticed only 12/50 contacts were in the contacts. I don't need the 250 that are in the contacts (mostly people I have no idea why or how), so I attempted to install, uninstall, import, export, redo, dont redo, reset, not do, whatever. Now, the phone is paired; the Sonata sees the phone; I can call using the keypad on the phone. But the car no longer can download the contacts. What can I do for the next couple days, you know, taking off from work, spending hours watching youtube videos, posting on forums, to "just simply" get the contacts to download. What I haven't tried yet is attaching the phone to the car via USB. Maybe that's the secret handshake? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Where are your contacts stored? Phone SIM, Google, other account?

It's possible that they are stored somewhere that the radio isn't able to access them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Just like I had to click on your reply in email, then go to the thread, than go to the thread again and sign in, then minimize that, then click on the email again to get here, they are saved wherever they are saved where the phone and google and android decide to save them. As far as I can see, or understand, or search, or research, they aren't saved anywhere on the phone. Or , they are. It's in the cloud, the netherworld, the vapors. They are in daGoogles awesome app. They are gmail contacts. I tried to find out if there was a way to export or save to sim and if you google "export to sim" you will get various ways to "import from sim." Then, ways to buy sim cards. I think I may have to hook up the phone to the usb in the sonata and upload, download, import, export, yes or okay manually since apparently the awesome tech doesn't speak to one another. So, apparently you have no idea as well. Thanks for the response though. In response to your question: I'm sure it is possible they are stored on Venus or in Batman's cave.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Where are your contacts stored? Phone SIM, Google, other account?

It's possible that they are stored somewhere that the radio isn't able to access them.
Or, they could be in the library with the inspector. How would this answer help? seriously? I know you mean well, but this is just as good as saying, "but maybe they're in the refrigerator.'

But in all seriousness after wasting about two more hours of my life I won't get back (and this is getting serious as I'm 65), I was able to restore everything the way it was. 32 of 144 contacts by doing imports, exports, clickey clilck clicks. And here's the thing. If you look at three contacts for example there is NOTHING that makes them match up. One is "services" one is "family" one is a favorite" all start with a name, none are companies (I learned that the Sonata doens't recognize companies, you have to create the company name as a name otherwise it won't show up....) 32 out of 144. Some start with an constanent, some a vowel, one is a mobile, one is a home, one is business .... so, obviously, it's totally arbitrary. You know, like batman's cave or a refrigerator.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Or, they could be in the library with the inspector. How would this answer help? seriously? I know you mean well, but this is just as good as saying, "but maybe they're in the refrigerator.'

But in all seriousness after wasting about two more hours of my life I won't get back (and this is getting serious as I'm 65), I was able to restore everything the way it was. 32 of 144 contacts by doing imports, exports, clickey clilck clicks. And here's the thing. If you look at three contacts for example there is NOTHING that makes them match up. One is "services" one is "family" one is a favorite" all start with a name, none are companies (I learned that the Sonata doens't recognize companies, you have to create the company name as a name otherwise it won't show up....) 32 out of 144. Some start with an constanent, some a vowel, one is a mobile, one is a home, one is business .... so, obviously, it's totally arbitrary. You know, like batman's cave or a refrigerator.
Different locations (SIM, Google Cloud, etc) can format contacts differently. And that can cause them to appear corrupted to the car, so they don't sync properly.

Open the Contacts app on your phone, and from there you should be able to see where they're stored. If they are in Google, log into your Gmail account from a computer, click the 3x3 grid in the top right (next to your profile picture), and select Contacts. You can then edit your contacts to ensure all the expected names, numbers, addresses, etc are all named in the same manner.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Different locations (SIM, Google Cloud, etc) can format contacts differently. And that can cause them to appear corrupted to the car, so they don't sync properly.

Open the Contacts app on your phone, and from there you should be able to see where they're stored. If they are in Google, log into your Gmail account from a computer, click the 3x3 grid in the top right (next to your profile picture), and select Contacts. You can then edit your contacts to ensure all the expected names, numbers, addresses, etc are all named in the same manner.
Apparently not stored anywhere anymore. All in the vapors, via daGOOGLE gmail.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Have done all that. They all look the same. All done the same way. So, if this were the case, then only the ones that are set up the same way would show up. This is not the case. I have contacts with just one number, or just a home number, or two numbers or associated with a company ... completely arbitrary as to what shows up and what doesn't. I believe when I changed phones - to one that doesn't save on the phone or the SIM as a choice - this is when this happened: For whatever reason, only 32 contacts were "on the phone" and that's what Sonya Sonata sees.

What I am going to attempt next is to export the contacts from daGoogly vapors, connect the phone via USB, and put them in a file on the phone somewhere called something that is a mystery since there's nothing that tells you that PBLKERH or FJIthKflibbit means anything. But there's probably a file somewhere for the Phone that says something that appears to be contacts. Then maybe the car can find them. I tried setting up Android Auto and though it also pairs nicely, when I ask Googly to make a call, nothing happens.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Have done all that. They all look the same. All done the same way. So, if this were the case, then only the ones that are set up the same way would show up. This is not the case. I have contacts with just one number, or just a home number, or two numbers or associated with a company ... completely arbitrary as to what shows up and what doesn't. I believe when I changed phones - to one that doesn't save on the phone or the SIM as a choice - this is when this happened: For whatever reason, only 32 contacts were "on the phone" and that's what Sonya Sonata sees.

What I am going to attempt next is to export the contacts from daGoogly vapors, connect the phone via USB, and put them in a file on the phone somewhere called something that is a mystery since there's nothing that tells you that PBLKERH or FJIthKflibbit means anything. But there's probably a file somewhere for the Phone that says something that appears to be contacts. Then maybe the car can find them. I tried setting up Android Auto and though it also pairs nicely, when I ask Googly to make a call, nothing happens.
Attempted to export the Contact list. Exported for dagoogle, iOS and even outlook. Saved to a flash usb formatted exfat so could be read by mac or window. Attempted to out into usb. ERROR!!!! GO AWAY.... then attempted to connect phone via usb cable. That did nothing. The contacts "download" ... it runs to about 82 of 114. The contacts that are available to be called are 31. So, it appears there are 82/114 downloaded, but when I go into phone and contacts I see 1/31 2/31 ... there are 31.

Now all this worked fine until maybe a week ago. The phone (Moto g6) has been used with the car for almost 8 months. But the squirrelly thing is daGoogly shows the backup default for the contacts to be my old phone and a backup from 2018. Of course there is no human way apparently (unless you have the secret handshake) to actually change this to the new contact list or delete the old contact list.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't you love it when someone somewhere decides to do something that for some reason screws you up and sends you down the rabbit hole? I'm assuming the techgods are playing. My phone, a moto g6 was working fine with the car. But I noticed only 12/50 contacts were in the contacts. I don't need the 250 that are in the contacts (mostly people I have no idea why or how), so I attempted to install, uninstall, import, export, redo, dont redo, reset, not do, whatever. Now, the phone is paired; the Sonata sees the phone; I can call using the keypad on the phone. But the car no longer can download the contacts. What can I do for the next couple days, you know, taking off from work, spending hours watching youtube videos, posting on forums, to "just simply" get the contacts to download. What I haven't tried yet is attaching the phone to the car via USB. Maybe that's the secret handshake? Anyone? Thanks in advance.
Lol.. yes.. I'm a techy guy and Hyundai has totally screwed a simple bluetooth connection and turned it into and Android Auto/Hello Google nigjtmare.

I am having the same stupid connection/download issues after being paired..unpaired.
Paired with Android CrapAuto... then uupaired.. then.. wtf?
Still unsuccessful when downloading contacts..

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: I finally broke down and purchased an iPhone since I'm not spending my money on anything else. I think all the contacts are there. And then some (what phones decide to save, and pull the info from, is definitely a secret. Thanks for all the posting and advice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts