Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Today I noticed that the 12 volt power outlets on my 2011 Sonata shutoff when the vehicle shuts off. On my old car the cigarette lighter would shut off, but not the power outlet. Is there anyway to make them stay on when the car shuts off? It is nice to be able to leave my phone in the car to charge.

Thanks.

·
Registered
678 Posts
I don't think that you should do that though, it will just kill your battery and you'll be unable to start the car. It is a safety feature so that whatever is plugged in to the 12V outlet does not discharge your battery when the power is turned off. Why don't you just get a home charger and take the phone with you?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I never had a problem with my old car, charging the phone doesn't take much juice. I do see what you're saying though. I have a home charger, but sometimes the situation arises where I need to charge while I'm out. It is nice to be able to just go in somewhere for a couple hours and have a fully charged, or almost fully charged phone when I come out. It's no big deal, I guess I will just get in the habit of making sure it is charged when I leave the house.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My other vehicles had constant power, I guess its a vendor preference. There is a TSB that actually has a fix for the sonata's that came out the way you wanted. I have tried pasting the link but the forums converts it to a spam link.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Charging a cell phone battery should never noticeably discharge an auto battery in good condition overnight. I would favor having the receptacle hot all the time just for convenience.

·
Registered
589 Posts
No car I can remember has ever had the 12V outlets (cigarette lighter included) 'hot' without ignition on. And the reason si quite simple: they're good for 15 AMPS, which can discharge a battery in a heartbeat. A similar analogy is if your car is governed to 155 mph, it has to have tires rated that high, even if they never see much above 80 mph. Manufacturers take the safest side possible.

QUOTE (wacktool @ May 23 2010, 10:48 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325546
I have tried pasting the link but the forums converts it to a spam link.
Just omit the 'www' part and they show, although not as a link, but people can do a copy and paste, and add the www :grin: .

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE (Herk @ May 23 2010, 02:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325584
I would favor having the receptacle hot all the time just for convenience.
Amen to that.

QUOTE (elp_jc)
No car I can remember has ever had the 12V outlets (cigarette lighter included) 'hot' without ignition on
My friends 05 Ram has constant power to the outlets, some goes for another friend who has a 04 Jeep. My previous car was an 05 Taurus, so maybe just an american manufacturer feature??

Anyways, thanks for the feedback. I don't think I'm going to tear into my new toy for something this trivial, I like my warranty. :)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Generally, I just run my Garmin Nuvi using it's internal battery. That's just for local use but not on longer trips where the power cord is used. Supposedly, it's battery is good for about 6 - 8 hours or so of operation before needing recharging. When the "low battery" icon appears, I recharge it at home using a small self-contained portable "hot shot" battery unit. This unit has a cigarette lighter receptacle built-in and I just plug in my Garmin's power cord for a few hours for a full charge. Still, I'd prefer to have a always-hot receptacle in the Sonata, even if it was in the trunk.
Any thoughts about connecting one of the two power outlets in the console directly to the battery?

Don

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I called the dealer and they told me one should always be "hot". I checked that and it was not true. Each outlet has it's own fuse so I don't know if one can be rewired to always be on. I'm not feeling that adventurous yet so for now I will just live with it.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My 2006 sonata, the power went off when I turned off the car, same as the 2011. My wife's 2008 entourage is the opposite. The power stays on after you turn off the car. Not sure how Hyundai picks and chooses some of these little details, but that being said, I think I prefer it not staying on. No chance of leaving something plugged in (cell phone, GPS, etc) and having it drain the battery.

·
Registered
603 Posts
QUOTE (elp_jc @ May 24 2010, 12:49 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=325704
No car I can remember has ever had the 12V outlets (cigarette lighter included) 'hot' without ignition on. And the reason si quite simple: they're good for 15 AMPS, which can discharge a battery in a heartbeat. A similar analogy is if your car is governed to 155 mph, it has to have tires rated that high, even if they never see much above 80 mph. Manufacturers take the safest side possible.

Ive owned 3 GM vehicles, including my current Pontiac Trans Am that has the accessory port hot when the car is off. I, too, have used this to charge a cell phone and never had a problem.

Im sure that its possible that you've personally never owned a car like this, but to make a blanket statement that no company would do this is misleading and false.

·
Registered
589 Posts
QUOTE (Mike Eckman @ May 26 2010, 04:26 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326652
but to make a blanket statement that no company would do this is misleading and false.
I made no 'blanket' statement. I've owned over 20 new vehicles and NONE has had that feature; that's a FACT, and not 'misleading' or 'false'. Most people here are smart enough to take my comment for what it is. And we're talking about a freaking 12V outlet; if it's that important for people to be energized with the engine off, they should confirm that before buying a car, regardless of any comments made by anybody. Good day.

·
Registered
623 Posts
My Audi had them and I loved it. Even had a live plug in the trunk that I used to keep a cooler plugged into.

·
Registered
533 Posts
In one car or another that I have had over the years I recall having more than one outlet and some were hot and some were tied to the ignition. I want to say it was in my Pacifica or my Volvo S60. Can't recall now or maybe it was both!

·
Hyundai-Forums.com Vendor
369 Posts
You can always rewire it yourself :)

Or check the fusebox. Some cars, probably not ours, have two spaces where you can actually change the fuse from switched to constant. So there are actually 3 prong spaces for the fuse.

And a lot of vehicles have constant power outlets, its primarily a new thing and almost ALL new GMs and Chryslers have them

·
Registered
90 Posts
Fwiw the Hyundai is the first vehicle I've ever owned that didn't have full time power to the 12v outlet. And if your cell charger kills your battery you have bigger electrical issues. The onboard electronics take more power than a cell charger.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Every car I've owned up until a 2005 Maxima had at least one hot outlet when the car was completely off. It seems the Japanese cars have steered away from that but my wife's 1994 Suburban, my son's 2002 Jeep and my daughters 200 Intrepid all have hot outlets with the accessory off. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Still no answer on makeing one of the outlets hot all the time. thats what
I would like to know? any one figured a way to do this.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts