Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heard this vehicle has had lots of issues. Are the 2016 and 2017 models okay or should i stick with Mazda? I want to be wise in spending my money.

If it was you, what would you do?

·
Registered
320 Posts
If you're looking at the DCT, it all comes down to your previous experience with manuals and/or DCTs. I think the power-train in the Tucson is superior to the CX5. I have had minimal problems with my Tucson. I had a no-go one time. That was corrected with the TCM update. I also had the water pump fail. I have owned two Mazdas. Both started having failures across multiple systems at 75K miles. I do miss Mazda suspension, but that's it. Go clock a couple DCT hours before making your decision. I suggest you test drive in some busy shopping center parking lots and make sure you're comfortable with that feel.

·
Registered
842 Posts
What are the issues you have heard of? Only one that really stands out is the DCT transmission but to me that is really a non issue especially after the latest software update.

I haven't had any issues with my 2016. Just a few minor service visits that were quickly resolved.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
We've had a 2016 Tucson Limited with the 1.6L engine and the DCT since March 2016. No problems. Had the transmission flashed a year or so ago when Hyundai release "the fix". Fun car to drive, lots of room, and great features for the money. No regrets here. We test drove the Mazda CX5, Honda CRV, and Toyota RAV4. We liked the Tucson better than any of them. We'd make the same choice again.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I would wait until the 2018's and get a nice trim without DCT, or get a 2017 SE Plus.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have a 16 SE so the DCT is not an issue for me. I love it and had not had 1 single issue with it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
leasing a 16' sport. no issues thus far. DCT has never been a problem for me, I came from a manual VW passat before.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I would buy mine again. Totally happy with my 16 model. DCT makes it fun and shifts very fast.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I'm three weeks in to owning a new 2017 Tucson SE with the Popular Package. 2.0L engine with 6-speed auto (not a DCT).

I wanted a fairly basic vehicle and this fit the bill. It's a pleasure to drive. Does everything I care for and doesn't cost a lot too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
It has been a good car for us, even with some A/C issues (freezing over). The DCT is not an issue thus far with software updates, coming from previous DSG's and manuals from the VW/Audi world I've put more miles than the average person driving dual shift gearboxes (Over 300k on two work TDI's).

However...I wouldn't get it again only due to the GMC Terrain diesel. I'm a diesel fan, and getting near 40mpg on highway sounds pretty awesome to me with a CUV. We are not changing until we hit 100k, the Tucson is paid for so no reason to jump into anything until we get the usage out of it we planned on

·
Registered
76 Posts
I did not know about the diesel Terrain. I'm going to have to keep my eyes on that, but for me DCT > Diesel.
Understand...GM setups are easily tuned, that includes fixing the sluggish transmissions which makes a big improvement. My issue is the horrible tow rating GM gave the setup, its the same as the base model while the 2.0T gets the 3500 rating. You can get 3500 rating in a Rav4 Adventure these days, GM really dropped the ball in this category....Not using the motor setup for a class leading tow rating similar to the Colorado/Canyon in the small pick-up realm

·
Registered
94 Posts
What are the issues you have heard of? Only one that really stands out is the DCT transmission but to me that is really a non issue especially after the latest software update.

I haven't had any issues with my 2016. Just a few minor service visits that were quickly resolved.

What model 2016 Tucson do you have? also, do you experience MPG issues? I am not getting anything near 25 MPG and I also have an AWD

·
Registered
842 Posts
What model 2016 Tucson do you have? also, do you experience MPG issues? I am not getting anything near 25 MPG and I also have an AWD
I have the Limited (Ultimate) FWD. MPG is fine. I average 27-30 and that is with me driving to and from work 5 days a week...1 hour each way of bumper to bumper traffic.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2017 se

We just bought a 2017 with 2.4 AWD. I hope this is the correct area to post in but so far we really like it. Power is ok, transmission is smooth and ride is a bit harsh. Road noise is not bad with the cheap tires it comes with but I have to remember its not a high end vehicle.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts